Author Topic: Conway Head Coach  (Read 23544 times)

purpledog

Conway Head Coach
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:06:28 pm »
Arkansas Rivals site has a post started stating that Conway Public Schools will have a major football annoucement at 2:00 PM today. They think it's the football coach stepping down. Anyone hear anything?

dwade534

Re: Conway Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:03 pm »
no, but it wouldnt surprise me if he did, they havent been too good for a couple years have they?

purpledog

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:57:37 pm »
no, but it wouldnt surprise me if he did, they havent been too good for a couple years have they?

no they have had a few bad years in a row I believe

dwade534

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:58:20 pm »
wouldnt surprise me then. especially cause i think he's been there for a long time.

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:12:21 pm »
Arkansas Rivals site has a post started stating that Conway Public Schools will have a major football annoucement at 2:00 PM today. They think it's the football coach stepping down. Anyone hear anything?

I think they are going to announce that they will start playing good football again next year and It will be with another head coach!

Offline spoof1530

• 2nd String
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:29 pm »
just like a west guy to make light of a guy who is probably losing his job! Show some class!

purpledog

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:21:03 pm »

I think they are going to announce that they will start playing good football again next year and It will be with another head coach!

Yea, that's not cool. So a little class

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 01:28:57 pm »

Yea, that's not cool. So a little class

I agree it was a little mean, but that is what the announcement will be.
The head coach is probably a little worn out and is moving on!.

It takes alot of time and committment to coach at the high school level, and my comment although probably very accurate, wasn't meant as a slam in any way!

I apologize!

Offline 007

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 01:36:07 pm »
i know we have heard this 1,000,000,000 times about coaches all over the state, but kenny smith is a class act. cabot has played conway for many years and i have heard numerous interviews with him and seen him on the field and he has always been a good example that young men could look up to.

Offline 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 01:37:57 pm »
Billyo, be nice, you should only respond in like manner and there needs to be a vote on whether your response is acceptable. I am sorry to hear the coach may be losing his job, I figure it is by choice though. Conway needs a fresh start, they have too good of athletes year in and year out to be at the bottom.

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 01:46:46 pm »
i know we have heard this 1,000,000,000 times about coaches all over the state, but kenny smith is a class act. cabot has played conway for many years and i have heard numerous interviews with him and seen him on the field and he has always been a good example that young men could look up to.

I never said he wasn't a class act guy.

My high School Basketball was a class act guy and finished with 900+ wins at the highest level.
( Raytown South- Bud Lathrop )

At the end he was just Tired of the way things have changed and the crap that came with it, He didn't even show up to the press conference.

I never attacked the coach personally...lighten up just a little.

I already Apologized.

Offline spoof1530

• 2nd String
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 01:47:12 pm »
Coach Smith has touched the lifes of many young men. If this is true, Conway will lose a great ambasador for its school. Again, if its true, I wish him the very best.

Offline 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:56:36 pm »
Billyo, have you not noticed the stalk and pounce mentality on this board since Friday? It is almost comical.

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 01:57:57 pm »
Billyo, be nice, you should only respond in like manner and there needs to be a vote on whether your response is acceptable. I am sorry to hear the coach may be losing his job, I figure it is by choice though. Conway needs a fresh start, they have too good of athletes year in and year out to be at the bottom.

If he is LOSING his job then my post is Probably correct, No way is that directed toward the coach.

He probably has been a great Coach over the years on and off the field.

Maybe he's just done with coaching , I don't know .. but you say "Conway needs a fresh start, they have too good of athletes year in and year out to be at the bottom"

Why would you say that- is he not a good coach anymore?

My original post is probably the truth, just not very Soft.

Absolutley no Disrespect was meant for Kenny Smith in any way!

Offline 007

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:23 pm »
billyo i didn't mean to imply you were talking bad about his character or anything of the like. i just want people to know what kind of human being he is. i agree he is probably tired of the way things are going in conway. don't be suprised if he shows up coaching at some smaller school in arkansas.

Offline 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 02:03:38 pm »
A fresh start brings enthusiasm and new ideas, I just think they have the athletes, facilities, and fan base to excel.

Offline 007

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:05:55 pm »
maybe the new coach will make them take down that five legged whatever it is as you go in the gate.

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 02:06:05 pm »
billyo i didn't mean to imply you were talking bad about his character or anything of the like. i just want people to know what kind of human being he is. i agree he is probably tired of the way things are going in conway. don't be suprised if he shows up coaching at some smaller school in arkansas.

I have no problem with that- people should ALWAYS stick up for these coaches that put in massive amounts of Time, Energy and Emotion with their players.

People that haven't played have no idea the impact they can have on the kids that play for them.

Offline 007

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 02:08:25 pm »
and sometimes they have a bigger impact on these kids when things are not so good.

Offline Scorp

• Assistant Coach
  • Is it football season yet?
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 02:10:24 pm »
A fresh start brings enthusiasm and new ideas, I just think they have the athletes, facilities, and fan base to excel.

That is very true.  Conway could become a major player again real soon. 

Coaching changes can do a lot for a football program, if the right one is hired.....  Look back at Bryants record before Patton and after Patton.

Offline spoof1530

• 2nd String
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 02:11:45 pm »
So very true!

Offline Walter

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 04:03:14 pm »
It is now after 4 anyone hear anything or is it just a false rumor ?

purpledog

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 04:05:23 pm »

he has resigned according to log cabin democrat

Offline IAFLAR7

• Starter
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 04:19:52 pm »

http://www.thecabin.net/

Smith steps down as Conway football coach
LOG CABIN DEMOCRAT
There will soon be a new head coach for the Conway High football team. After 18 years of service, Kenny Smith will step aside to accept other responsibilities in the Conway Public School District, according to school officials.
Smith finished his tenure with a 129-75 (63.2 percent) record with the Wampus Cats. He had coached in Conway for 25 years in all and won six conference championships, as well as played in the 1993 Class AAAAA state title game.

"No one bleeds Wampus Cat Blue any more than Coach Smith," Conway superintendent Greg Murry Said. "Our district and our community appreciate all that he has done to bring pride to our football program. We wish him the very best as he begins a new chapter in his professional career." The Cats have had their rough times in recent seasons, including a 2-8 record this past season. Conway, which has not made the state playoffs since 2006, also went 3-7 in 2007.

Murry said the district will immediately begin the process of finding a replacement for Smith.

Oh no,

they are actually going to get a new coach and utilize the talent they have!

I'm sure he is a class act and a very good person.

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 04:23:43 pm »

THis is what I posted earlier that made everyone so upset.

It's basically what happened at the press conference - they made it a POINT to say that the Wompas Cats went 3-7 and 2-8 the last 2 years, thanked the coach and said GOOD-BYE best of luck!

Hogs_Rule

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 04:51:41 pm »
The AD last name is Bolding. Wonder who he might hire? Bobby Bolding has turned Pine Bluff around in 1 year and would be a good hire or could hire his other son at North Little Rock. Bobby is a heck of a coach and he will turn them into winners. Bobby hates losing and he will make sure players get off their rear and work hard.

Quite Frankly

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 06:13:05 pm »
And the speculation begins.

Offline Baitshop

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • Pretentious Illiterate
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 06:30:22 pm »
I was thinking exactly the same thing......also isn't the coach at NLR a Bolding also??

Offline bbishop

• 2nd String
  • go charging wildcats
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 06:43:34 pm »
Conway AD (Bolding) is rumored to be retiring this year.
Yes one of his son is at NLR.

Offline Baitshop

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • Pretentious Illiterate
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 07:21:25 pm »
Possibility that Kenny Smith takes over as the AD??

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 07:46:32 pm »
Who's Chris Wood's?  Someone told me this guy has expressed interest in becoming a Wampus Cat!

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 07:47:52 pm »
Yah Yah Valley you're a _ _ _ _ _

Offline Baitshop

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • Pretentious Illiterate
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 07:49:13 pm »
Chris Wood is a BIG _ _ _ _ _!!!

He would fit in great with you boys in the Central.....

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 07:51:18 pm »
Well Darn I missed on that one!  ;D

Quite Frankly

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 07:51:30 pm »
Chris Wood has a game Friday. If he's inquired, shame on him for doing so now.  That's "IF".

ConwayHog

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 11:33:51 am »
Hey guys, I have been reading here a few weeks and now I have something to post about, so here goes.

If they hire from within, Scott Schwartz would have to be the #1 candidate. He was an assistant at Conway for years, then took the head job at Greenbrier for a few where he actually made drastic improvements despite his record. He returned to CHS in the last few years for whatever reason, but my guess would be he was told he would be the heir to the coaching throne. His offensive mind was nothing like Smith's, he likes to spread it out like most successful teams do these days.

However, the strong word is Bolding is getting tremendous pressure to hire from outside the Conway circuit, so who knows? They do need a huge breath of fresh air, as they have let a lot of talent go to waste over the last 5 years.

Offline wampuscatblue

• Bench Warmer
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 12:09:44 pm »
Hey guys, I have been reading here a few weeks and now I have something to post about, so here goes.

If they hire from within, Scott Schwartz would have to be the #1 candidate. He was an assistant at Conway for years, then took the head job at Greenbrier for a few where he actually made drastic improvements despite his record. He returned to CHS in the last few years for whatever reason, but my guess would be he was told he would be the heir to the coaching throne. His offensive mind was nothing like Smith's, he likes to spread it out like most successful teams do these days.

However, the strong word is Bolding is getting tremendous pressure to hire from outside the Conway circuit, so who knows? They do need a huge breath of fresh air, as they have let a lot of talent go to waste over the last 5 years.
The word around town--the country clubs, golf courses etc. is that no one on the current staff will be promoted and in fact they will ALL be lucky to retain a high school football position.  Remember, Conway had a RIF last year and has the space now to reassign every one of them if they need to.  Some may be reassigned to 7th grade or junior high football to accomodate a new coach and whoever he may bring in.  As it usually works though once the reassingment is made most of the assistants would just move on to another school and the position would open anyway.  Going to be interesting.  There is a community push to get rid of all of them and hire 7 new coaches. 

Offline wampuscatblue

• Bench Warmer
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 12:11:22 pm »
Also, there are a lot of names already thrown around--will be interesting..
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:13:37 pm by wampuscatblue »

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 01:07:54 pm »
Is there ever talk about Conway splitting in two?  Conway is one fast growing population. Of course NLR should split as well!  This just came to mind, because I've heard a dad talking from an academic viewpoint.

Quite Frankly

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 01:16:50 pm »

Welcome to FF!

ConwayHog

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 01:33:40 pm »

Welcome to FF!

I appreciate the welcome.

So, who would be possible candidates? A friend told me Warren's coach is high on the list. He's got a ton of talent in that area so would he give it up? I don't know the appeal for HS coaches to compete in the biggest classification, because school enrollment doesn't necessarily mean better competition (in some cases).

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 01:53:38 pm »

Welcome to FF!

I appreciate the welcome.

So, who would be possible candidates? A friend told me Warren's coach is high on the list. He's got a ton of talent in that area so would he give it up? I don't know the appeal for HS coaches to compete in the biggest classification, because school enrollment doesn't necessarily mean better competition (in some cases).

Welcome!

As you have posted enrollment size does not equate to a good football program.

You need to hire a Good coach that can reach down to the jr high and little league programs and get them thinking HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL , from both the coaches and the young guys.

Thats takes 3 to 4 yrs minimum and a lot of time and effort from everyone.

Set up Buddy programs with the high school players and the little leaguers.

They set this up where I came from and it can be the greatest thing ever.

That will build a community program within 3 to 4 years, but it takes commitment.

Offline birdman1981

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
Of course NLR should split as well!  This just came to mind, because I've heard a dad talking from an academic viewpoint.

Dream on Valley,

The "powers" that are running this district now will never allow this to happen even though most of the population of NLR would like to go back to 2 schools.  Most of us that grew up in NLR with 2 high schools loved the rivalry and actually believe that we were more competitive in most sports then. 

Offline CatsnBears

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 05:00:24 pm »

The word around town--the country clubs, golf courses etc. is that no one on the current staff will be promoted and in fact they will ALL be lucky to retain a high school football position.  Remember, Conway had a RIF last year and has the space now to reassign every one of them if they need to.  Some may be reassigned to 7th grade or junior high football to accomodate a new coach and whoever he may bring in.  As it usually works though once the reassingment is made most of the assistants would just move on to another school and the position would open anyway.  Going to be interesting.  There is a community push to get rid of all of them and hire 7 new coaches. 
If it's to "go in a different direction", I wouldn't expect hiring from within.  I haven't heard of any of the names tossed around.

Last I heard, the school won't split before 2014, there isn't enough money in the school system to support another high school before then.

Offline DB

• Reproductively focused
  • Head Coach
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 06:28:13 pm »
No matter how great of a guy Smith is, he is probably the number 1 underachieving coach in the state.  If I was a fan of a 7A school, other than Conway, the prospect of the Cats hiring a new coach would make me extremely nervous.  Especially if they go outside of "the family" to hire.  For at least 30 years, Conway athletics has been mired in politics.  If someone comes in and abandons the idea that so and so's son is a starter because his mom and dad have the right name or right position in Conway, the football team will be a real contender year in and year out. 

This hire will be very interesting.  If this is going to be a real search and not just a smoke screen for an already made hire, the committee will be very busy for the next couple of months, filtering through a mountain of interested applicants.  There is no question that Bobby and Brad's names will be in the middle of this.  Their schools will simply have to endure this until the coach is hired.  With Bobby just starting at Pine Bluff, I don't think it is a given that he will be moving to Conway.  Although, IMO, Bobby is one of the most talented coaches in the state and the Wampus cats would be very fortunate to get him.  Another name that will certainly pop up will be Billy Dawson.  His name is always in the mix when big jobs come open.  Don't be surprised, if in the end, there are some serious out of state names in the pot.

Offline Smithian

• Assistant Coach
  • The Flagship Institution
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 06:47:58 pm »
If anyone from Conway calls, all the Southside assistant coaches are terrible and none are even worth consideration.They're best left at Southside...

;)

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 06:56:28 pm »
Dream on Valley

;D  Just thinking it might give each of your pitchers more playing time!

Offline cabotpantherman

• 2nd String
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 07:54:46 pm »
Scott Reed from El Dorado would be a great hire!!!

Offline 007

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 07:59:38 pm »
thats exactly who i was thinking of.

powerlifter90

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2008, 08:20:13 pm »

he's waiting for Malham to step down

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center