Author Topic: Lonoke @ Newport  (Read 964 times)

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Lonoke @ Newport
« on: September 14, 2020, 10:02:18 am »
Both Offenses are absolutely clicking right now. I think Lonoke may hold a slight edge on Defense, but I also believe that Edge is non-existent when playing @ Greyhound stadium. Lonoke has one of the better teams they've had over the years and the Coaching staff is exciting. If everyone stay's healthy Lonoke has the ability to have one of the best seasons in the last 10 years. Newport is not a typical 3A team by any means and they have had Lonoke's hand in the past. They are down right dogs, and they match every aspect of speed that Lonoke possesses.  No doubt, one of the top 3-4 teams in 3A. I believe besides the Stuttgart game, that I believe will determine this years conference champ, this game is the hardest on Lonoke's schedule.

Best of luck to both teams this Friday night! 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:20:12 pm by RabAlumni »

Offline Jwolf12

• Bench Warmer
  • Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever
Re: Lonoke @ Newport
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:53:08 am »
Big time talent in Lonoke this season. They are putting up a ton of points. I haven't read anything on Newport this season, but I'm sure they'll be as athletic and physical as they always are. This will be an exciting game to watch. Lonoke has a legit shot to win conference outright if they can stay healthy.

Offline SUGARTOWN

• Head Coach
  • FF SUPER ELITE-Educating the masses since 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:09:41 am »
Big time talent in Lonoke this season. They are putting up a ton of points. I haven't read anything on Newport this season, but I'm sure they'll be as athletic and physical as they always are. This will be an exciting game to watch. Lonoke has a legit shot to win conference outright if they can stay healthy.

I’m not sure putting up a “ton of points” on Carlisle and Beebe shows too much. They should be in the top 3 of the conference though.

Offline bulldoghistorian

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 12:01:50 pm »
I can’t wait to watch this game! Should be as exciting as last year’s!

Offline HeberFan

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 12:09:35 pm »

Probably the premier game in Arkansas this week. Newport hasn't had to try very hard this season, could that favor the Bunnies?

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:21:27 pm »
I’m not sure putting up a “ton of points” on Carlisle and Beebe shows too much. They should be in the top 3 of the conference though.

Now-Now, we can only play who is put in front us. Kinda like Stuttgart could only play Star City and Warren. Warren certainly isn't the Warren of old.

Offline HeberFan

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 12:23:19 pm »

Now-Now, we can only play who is put in front us. Kinda like Stuttgart could only play Star City and Warren. Warren certainly isn't the Warren of old.

Warren Rule # 1: Only speak negatively of Warren at your own risk.

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 12:29:42 pm »
Probably the premier game in Arkansas this week. Newport hasn't had to try very hard this season, could that favor the Bunnies?

Both of Lonoke's games were over by Half-time to date so I can't say anyone holds any advantages as far as that goes. All Lonoke can do is jump out fast like they have been doing and stay tough through the game because this is going to be an absolute battle. Newport won't give an inch, I guarantee that. Everything must be earned in this one!

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 12:33:35 pm »
Warren Rule # 1: Only speak negatively of Warren at your own risk.

How is what I stated being negative? They will even tell you they aren't the Warren of old this season. They have growing pains, they will get it figured out. Everyone eventually goes through it.

Offline SUGARTOWN

• Head Coach
  • FF SUPER ELITE-Educating the masses since 2001
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 12:35:26 pm »

This is true, but both of those teams were pre season top 10 in 4A. Maybe they shouldn’t have been, but they were nevertheless.

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 01:45:01 pm »
This is true, but both of those teams were pre season top 10 in 4A. Maybe they shouldn’t have been, but they were nevertheless.

You know how pre-season rankings are always accurate.  Very similar to information one gets off the internet.

Offline Leo Marvin

• 2nd String
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 09:16:07 pm »
Newport will have to clean up quiet a bit from Bauxite.  Lots of mistakes and penalties.  A huge positive, all year, has been great effort.

The Greyhounds are really young and maybe a year away but they have been fun to watch.  Looking forward to this game.

Offline Jwolf12

• Bench Warmer
  • Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:48:45 am »

It does still mean something based on how quickly they scored the points, and comparing their offense to their last couple of years. No doubt they will get their biggest test on Friday.

Offline bulldoghistorian

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 12:47:50 am »
Newport will have to clean up quiet a bit from Bauxite.  Lots of mistakes and penalties.
Just finished watching the replay and saw something I’ve never seen before, 3rd and 62.😳

Offline bulldoghistorian

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 01:43:31 am »
Just finished watching the replay and saw something I’ve never seen before, 3rd and 62.😳
Actually, I’ve seen worse than that. Mississippi State Louisiana Tech in 2017. Tech had a 3rd and 93.

Offline RUNTHEBALL50

• Water Boy
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 09:57:54 am »
This always seems to be a pretty good matchup. It will be tough for the Rabbits to beat the Greyhounds on their field. However, it does seem that Lonoke is beginning to turn the corner and becoming a good football team. I will take Lonoke by 1.

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 02:20:24 pm »
I'm hoping none of the Lonoke Football Coaching Staff/Trainers/Student Athlete's are apart of the now 180-200 being quarantined until October 1st, 2020.  That would be unfortunate for tonight's contest @Newport.

Offline Redwolves8526

• 2nd String
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 11:10:31 pm »
47-19 Newport. Was not expecting that

Offline Rabhog

• Bench Warmer
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 12:45:28 pm »
I'm hoping none of the Lonoke Football Coaching Staff/Trainers/Student Athlete's are apart of the now 180-200 being quarantined until October 1st, 2020.  That would be unfortunate for tonight's contest @Newport.
Rab somebody must have been quarantined in the fourth quarter, Looks like Newport did a good job of whipping our booty

Offline HeberFan

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 09:49:11 am »

Lonoke just ran out of gas late. Good game for three quarters.

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 10:27:57 am »
No excuses, as predicted this game was wire to wire. Lonoke did an excellent job of doing what they've done the first 2 games by jumping out to a 13-0 early lead. Unfortunately, we weren't playing Carlisle or Beebe, thus we didn't sustain the lead. The Three back-breakers that stuck out to me were losing the number 1 back to an apparent lower back injury in the mid to late 3rd Qtr, the tipped pass right into the hands of the Newport receiver that should've been intercepted or just knocked down. Instead this ended up being a 95 yard TD pass on 3rd and long which would've given Lonoke excellent field position with the game still tied up 13-13. Lastly, the late hit on the Newport QB out of bounds in the early part of the 4th Qtr. Lonoke had rallied to make it 19-21, Newport, however that late Hit which would've been a 4th and long instead turned into an automatic 1st down and then Newport scored not long after to make the game 27-19. When Lonoke was driving and Newport hit the Lonoke QB while attempting to pass they of course picked it off as the ball floated in the air for what seemed like forever, fell right into the hands of the quick Newport defender and off to the races he went. After that, game was over. Kudos to Lonoke players though as they fought for 3 1/2 quarters but as Heber stated, they just ran out of gas.  Great win by Newport!

P.s.  I really like what I see from this Lonoke team. They are tough, they can take hits, and they can dish them out. They will be fine moving into conference play starting this week.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:30:30 am by RabAlumni »

Offline Leo Marvin

• 2nd String
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 10:58:11 pm »
No excuses, as predicted this game was wire to wire. Lonoke did an excellent job of doing what they've done the first 2 games by jumping out to a 13-0 early lead. Unfortunately, we weren't playing Carlisle or Beebe, thus we didn't sustain the lead. The Three back-breakers that stuck out to me were losing the number 1 back to an apparent lower back injury in the mid to late 3rd Qtr, the tipped pass right into the hands of the Newport receiver that should've been intercepted or just knocked down. Instead this ended up being a 95 yard TD pass on 3rd and long which would've given Lonoke excellent field position with the game still tied up 13-13. Lastly, the late hit on the Newport QB out of bounds in the early part of the 4th Qtr. Lonoke had rallied to make it 19-21, Newport, however that late Hit which would've been a 4th and long instead turned into an automatic 1st down and then Newport scored not long after to make the game 27-19. When Lonoke was driving and Newport hit the Lonoke QB while attempting to pass they of course picked it off as the ball floated in the air for what seemed like forever, fell right into the hands of the quick Newport defender and off to the races he went. After that, game was over. Kudos to Lonoke players though as they fought for 3 1/2 quarters but as Heber stated, they just ran out of gas.  Great win by Newport!

P.s.  I really like what I see from this Lonoke team. They are tough, they can take hits, and they can dish them out. They will be fine moving into conference play starting this week.

Score didn’t tell the whole story.  56 was a beast!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas