Author Topic: Texas is starting high school football  (Read 3447 times)

Online Oldbadger

• All Star
Texas is starting high school football
« on: July 05, 2020, 09:09:07 pm »
Here is an article released yesterday saying Texas is having football starting August 5! 
https://highschoolfootballamerica.com/2020-texas-high-school-football-schedules/

Online Oldbadger

• All Star
Re: Texas is starting high school football
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:10:39 pm »
This should give us hope for our season. Coronavirus isn't near as bad here!

Offline Lumberjackfan1978

• All Star
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 09:27:53 pm »
This should give us hope for our season. Coronavirus isn't near as bad here!
That's all we have is hope

Online panther07

• All Star
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 09:32:55 pm »
That was posted in February. Unless Iím missing something.

Offline bbishop

• 2nd String
  • go charging wildcats
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 09:36:00 pm »
I don't know that i would say its that much worse there.  Currently 0.33% of their populations is known to actively have the virus.  In Arkansas it is 0.21% of our population.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:15:34 pm »
I don't know that i would say its that much worse there.  Currently 0.33% of their populations is known to actively have the virus.  In Arkansas it is 0.21% of our population.

I think their shear population makes it a scarier number there....With almost 10 times the population than us makes their numbers just jump off the screen. That is quite a number of cases down there right now.

Online Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 10:32:40 am »
That was posted in February. Unless Iím missing something.
Yeah, you are right. I looked at the "Hot Topics" at the top and it said at this time yesterday, July 5, 2020. But on the column itself it does say February. I do some more research and see if it still applies.

Online Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 10:38:56 am »
Well, it actually looks like Texas is like us. Not certain.https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/06/29/tepper-brace-yourself-the-2020-texas-high-school-football-season-will-be-different?ref=article_preview_img  Sorry I got our hopes up, but I was so happy that I didn't do my due diligence. Sorry guys.

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 05:16:16 pm »
Well, it actually looks like Texas is like us. Not certain.https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/06/29/tepper-brace-yourself-the-2020-texas-high-school-football-season-will-be-different?ref=article_preview_img  Sorry I got our hopes up, but I was so happy that I didn't do my due diligence. Sorry guys.

You were right the first time.

Texas and Mississippi both said they will have normal seasons and start on time. This was in the last 2-3 days

Online panther07

• All Star
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 06:24:42 pm »

You were right the first time.

Texas and Mississippi both said they will have normal seasons and start on time. This was in the last 2-3 days

I havenít found that information on Texas. Where are you seeing it?

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 08:15:02 pm »
I havenít found that information on Texas. Where are you seeing it?

"UIL Executive Director, Dr Charles Breithaupt told media sources their plan was to start 2020 season on time and with full schedule. No formal announcement was made and Gov Abbot would still have ultimate say-so"

This is what I was told by several HC in the Beaumont area via text messages a few days ago.

I mis-read the info and thought it was a definite yes to the season but it's a good sign IMO.

Offline OB11

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
  • 6+4+3=2

Offline friscokid

• Bench Warmer
  • AR born. AR bred. Two out of three ain't bad.
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 02:07:41 pm »
The UIL has mandated that all athletes wear masks during their summer workouts. They can take them off while they are exercising or when getting something to eat or drink.

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 03:06:18 pm »
The UIL has mandated that all athletes wear masks during their summer workouts. They can take them off while they are exercising or when getting something to eat or drink.
So, they would never have the masks on then  ???

Offline StingEm

• 2nd String
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 10:25:30 am »

High School Sports Season in Texas is Shaken Up

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/san-antonio/news/2020/07/16/high-school-sports-season-in-texas-is-shaken-up

"On Tuesday, Travis County issued an order that schools could not start in-person classes until after September 7. With that order, sports and extracurricular activities can not take place until schools are able to have on-campus instruction. That wipes out the first two weeks of the scheduled high school football season and the start of the volleyball season. It also means that schools across the area that were holding on-campus workouts this week, have to hit pause again.?

Reality bites.

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 12:24:44 am »
https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2020/07/16/as-dallas-county-delays-high-school-athletics-until-september-a-growing-number-of-questions-must-be-addressed/

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2020/07/17/tapps-sports-updates-no-athletic-competition-until-at-least-september-8-seasons-will-not-flip-flop/

2 of the biggest considerations for TX football are pushing back start date and opting for football in the Spring.  I would bet money, that the UIL will soon follow suit, as Dallas County is the biggest school District in the State, with numerous schools that would affect all other schools. 

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 07:05:11 am »
Spring sports are spring sports for a reason. The weather suits them. YOU cannot flip football to spring and spring sports to fall. Think about it for a second  ::)

Offline friscokid

• Bench Warmer
  • AR born. AR bred. Two out of three ain't bad.
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 04:10:28 pm »
The UIL didnít have any announcement today, but dropped a few hints at coaching school, such as suggesting dividing districts into zones and moving up district games early to make sure they get played. There will be no normal 2020 season in the Lone Star State.

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 01:10:36 am »
Money talks and BS walks.  By that I mean, if Dallas County, and the Private School Conglomerate, and Fort Worth's County all decide for Spring football, As well, as they can convince Houston ISD (County or Individual School Districts), then the UIL will be forced to succumb to them, as those 3 are are biggest money makers, biggest numbers of schools (in , a County/District Statewide) which will have an economic persuasion, from the "Top Down".  Trickle Down Sports. 

Lower classifications which don't generate the revenue of Dallas Count, Ft. Worth, the Private School, and Houston Area (as those stadiums are better than many D2 schools and generate $ Millions.  The lower classifications will be forced into submission. 

Follow the money. 

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 04:04:56 pm »
Money talks and BS walks.  By that I mean, if Dallas County, and the Private School Conglomerate, and Fort Worth's County all decide for Spring football, As well, as they can convince Houston ISD (County or Individual School Districts), then the UIL will be forced to succumb to them, as those 3 are are biggest money makers, biggest numbers of schools (in , a County/District Statewide) which will have an economic persuasion, from the "Top Down".  Trickle Down Sports. 

Lower classifications which don't generate the revenue of Dallas Count, Ft. Worth, the Private School, and Houston Area (as those stadiums are better than many D2 schools and generate $ Millions.  The lower classifications will be forced into submission. 

Follow the money.

Swing and a miss coronabro....

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 11:29:41 pm »
Swing and a miss coronabro....

Nope not a swing and a miss.  Perhaps you didn't notice that I prefaced it all with "IF", Dallas County, Ft Worth, and Private Schools, as well as later included Houston school.  And if you google information about these, then you will see that it is in consideration, but a decision hasn't been made.

The UIL can make this determination right now.  But "IF" those school Districts go otherwise, or cancel games, then the UIL will bow down to them, and will change. 

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 09:18:34 am »
Nope not a swing and a miss.  Perhaps you didn't notice that I prefaced it all with "IF", Dallas County, Ft Worth, and Private Schools, as well as later included Houston school.  And if you google information about these, then you will see that it is in consideration, but a decision hasn't been made.

The UIL can make this determination right now.  But "IF" those school Districts go otherwise, or cancel games, then the UIL will bow down to them, and will change.

Yea I'm not sure if you are trolling or misinformed but UIL has already made their decision. High Schools don't run the UIL my friend, not by a long shot.

Offline StingEm

• 2nd String
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 09:26:16 pm »
Yea I'm not sure if you are trolling or misinformed but UIL has already made their decision. High Schools don't run the UIL my friend, not by a long shot.

UIL delays Texas high school football season until Sept. 24 for largest schools

https://www.kxan.com/sports/uil-pushes-5a-6a-football-volleyball-start-dates-back-in-latest-plan/

If things don't improve by  Sept 24 they might just call it off.

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 10:08:45 pm »

Look Dude.  It's simple.  "IF" Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston schools cancel football, that's their decision, NOT the UIL.  Those will have a huge impact on the UIL and the rest of the state.  Common sense. 

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 08:55:56 am »
Look Dude.  It's simple.  "IF" Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston schools cancel football, that's their decision, NOT the UIL.  Those will have a huge impact on the UIL and the rest of the state.  Common sense. 
Lol you don't have a clue pal.

Offline birddawg1986

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 12:44:42 pm »
Texas HS football is BIG business. They fill HS stadiums more than ASU or UCA can on Saturdays. If the Gov of Texas/Texas Dept of Health doesn't start school until early September there want to be football till then. Just like Arkansas AAA can make statements but Gov/ATH will make the final call. You can always move to spring. Basketball will be the sport (being played inside) that might get cancelled for good if no new changes in the reduction of Covid cases.

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2020, 12:36:08 am »

Lol you don't have a clue pal.

Texas HS football is BIG business. They fill HS stadiums more than ASU or UCA can on Saturdays. If the Gov of Texas/Texas Dept of Health doesn't start school until early September there want to be football till then. Just like Arkansas AAA can make statements but Gov/ATH will make the final call. You can always move to spring. Basketball will be the sport (being played inside) that might get cancelled for good if no new changes in the reduction of Covid cases.

Yes, Snowpatrol, I do have common sense and a clue about things. 

First and foremost, "IF" schools (Dallas/Ft Worth/Houston) cancel football and/or School, then that is their Superintendants decision. 

The ripple effect will also play out for the smaller schools (suburbs) in those counties, which will follow suit. 

Which will again affect conference games as well as District and Bi-District games for playoff qualification.  As Texas has conference games as well as District games and the District games determine the Bi-District games for Playoffs. 

So, if schools go to Online Education then they probably won't have football.  At the same time, if another school that they were supposed to face, doesn't go to Online/Virtual School, then they would get the "Forfeit" victory, as the school that shut down cannot play the game. 

So, how can TX football or the UIL make exceptions for schools shutting down but not forfeiting games? 

As birddawg1986 pointed out, that High School Football in Texas is "big business", as their stadiums and crowds produce more revenue than most Division 2 colleges, and definately more than Division 3 colleges, or NAIA schools. 

TX high school football is huge, as it has a huge home fan base, but at the same time there is an equal visitor/Traveling fan base that will follow their team, and fill the visitor Stands, as well as the visiting team will go to Local Restaurants and stimulate the economy because of visiting team fans eating at local food places.  Plus, the revenue that the home team gets from the traveling fan base going to the concession stand and purchasing food/drinks, etc. 

So, if schools shut down (a district decision), then the ripple affect is magnified. 

All of which the UIL, has no say or authority on, as the UIL has no say in any School District being open or closed/Online/Virtual school, in which athletes cannot do Fall Sports. 

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2020, 01:15:58 pm »
Gabe I know you did all that typing trying to prove a point but it's clear you have never coached in Texas before. To sit here and pretend the UIL has no say in Texas football shows you are either being a troll or actually have zero clue in the politics of Texas HS football.

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 12:48:54 am »
Gabe I know you did all that typing trying to prove a point but it's clear you have never coached in Texas before. To sit here and pretend the UIL has no say in Texas football shows you are either being a troll or actually have zero clue in the politics of Texas HS football.

So, Snowpatrol, are you saying that you are or have been a coach in Texas and have exclusive knowledge of the UIL? 

I am applying common sense.  Follow the money, follow the TX Department of Health, TX Governor, and TX biggest Schools as an influence from the top down. 

The UIL is not the Ultimate Authority in Texas, as the TX Health Dept., and Governor have the ultimate authority on schools reopening.  And, the Superintendents of the Big Boys (Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin) also have a huge say, as they can shut down school reopening. 

All of which trump the UIL, as the UIL cannot force a school that has been shut down due to "TX Department of Health, Governor mandate, or School Superintendant Shutting down". 

Online Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 12:24:42 pm »
You two should have lunch at the Alma Sonic.

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2020, 02:13:29 pm »
You two should have lunch at the Alma Sonic.

Yes!

Offline Lumberjackfan1978

• All Star
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2020, 06:39:55 pm »
Having lunch might do them good

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 07:12:29 pm »
So, Snowpatrol, are you saying that you are or have been a coach in Texas and have exclusive knowledge of the UIL? 

I am applying common sense.  Follow the money, follow the TX Department of Health, TX Governor, and TX biggest Schools as an influence from the top down. 

The UIL is not the Ultimate Authority in Texas, as the TX Health Dept., and Governor have the ultimate authority on schools reopening.  And, the Superintendents of the Big Boys (Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin) also have a huge say, as they can shut down school reopening. 

All of which trump the UIL, as the UIL cannot force a school that has been shut down due to "TX Department of Health, Governor mandate, or School Superintendant Shutting down".

Yes and yes. That's why I said you pretending the UIL is a do nothing entity in Texas sports is silly. I don't need to follow the money or conspiracy train. I've seen this first hand.

Lunch at Sonic sounds delightful. I'll take a Snickers Blizzard.

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 11:36:22 pm »
Yes and yes. That's why I said you pretending the UIL is a do nothing entity in Texas sports is silly. I don't need to follow the money or conspiracy train. I've seen this first hand.

Lunch at Sonic sounds delightful. I'll take a Snickers Blizzard.

Dude, the UIL cannot overrule the Governor or the Health Department.  Nor can the UIL overrule a school Superintendant shutting down a school. 

Just like in Arkansas, the AAA wants to open up to phase 2 to allow contact.  But the AAA blamed the lack of progression on the ADH. 

Today, Governor Hutchinson was asked about starting football/contact sports, and he kicked the can down the road.  And basically said with the number where they are/or keep increasing, it's not likely to happen by next Monday (the start of football season full practice). 

So the UIL can make whatever plans they want, but the TX Governor, State Dept of Health, and School Superintendants have the ultimate decision. 

Just the same as in Arkansas, the AAA can propose or try to go to phase 2 or 3, but if the Governor and/or ADH determines otherwise, then it doesn't matter what the AAA decides or proposes.  The ultimate decision is out of the AAA hands.

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 08:24:33 pm »
lol poor guy.

The AAA and the UIL do NOT operate the same way my friend.

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 11:07:36 pm »
lol poor guy.

Ok, Mr. Expert, please explain how they do not operate in the same way?

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2020, 03:02:31 am »
lol poor guy.

Ok, Mr. Expert, please explain how they do not operate in the same way?

So, I guess you can't explain how the AAA and UIL do not operate the same way? 

Offline Hogman2018

• 2nd String
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2020, 05:27:48 pm »
lol poor guy.

You are correct the UIL is so much better than the AAA! They make the decisions on sports not the schools. AAA caters to a few of the schools here in Arkansas and wont make any decisions they will tell you that the schools run everything!

Online Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:56 pm »

I don't know about the UIL, but, in order to understand the AAA one needs to look up who the members of AAA are. They are not just a bunch of people chosen by the AAA director to run High School Sports. AAA is made up of Superintendents of Schools. They meet and discuss the issues and vote on a course of action. The director just follows their guidance.

Offline arenaboy10

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 03:15:43 pm »

So, I guess you can't explain how the AAA and UIL do not operate the same way?

Ill give you one example. The UIL would have never let the West Memphis situation from last year happen. They would have at the very least addressed it and let someone know why they allowed such blatant rule violations to take place.

This is one dead horse that never gets beaten enough!

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center