Author Topic: Baseball and football switch?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Trojan_rep

• Water Boy
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Baseball and football switch?
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:37:05 pm »
I have heard so many rumors swirling around what do y'all know?

Offline OB11

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
Re: Baseball and football switch?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 11:17:26 am »
Don't really know how much traction this has but it is definitely being brought up. From what I've heard, this could possibly turn into a permanent switch. Especially if other states decide to make the change.

As an aside...I did bring up doing this exact thing several years ago on here and it was not received kindly. 

Offline Missco

• Assistant Coach
  • To be the Man you gotta beat the Man
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 10:49:08 pm »
Most states that are talking about it are not getting enough votes to getting it out of committee.

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 11:06:06 pm »
While this logically would make sense for this year football coaches will not go for it. They are used to having their kids from spring thru their season and taking priority starting in May and having their kids for 4 months till season starts working everyday. If this switch happened youre going to have football guys coming into season right out of basketball. Which will leave a lot of players, especially skill kids very prone to injury with the lack of strength training for football. This wouldn’t be as bad for larger schools, but would kill smaller schools. And as wet as it is during the spring would be hard for dry games and for the schools who have a natural surface would be a dead grass mud pit during the spring. If they can hang out in a dugout together they can line up on a field. Screen each player, heck have half the official crew screen one team and the other half do the other team before the game so there’s no bias or false reporting.

Offline arkansasFBscoop

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 01:26:36 pm »
While this logically would make sense for this year football coaches will not go for it. They are used to having their kids from spring thru their season and taking priority starting in May and having their kids for 4 months till season starts working everyday. If this switch happened youre going to have football guys coming into season right out of basketball. Which will leave a lot of players, especially skill kids very prone to injury with the lack of strength training for football. This wouldn’t be as bad for larger schools, but would kill smaller schools. And as wet as it is during the spring would be hard for dry games and for the schools who have a natural surface would be a dead grass mud pit during the spring. If they can hang out in a dugout together they can line up on a field. Screen each player, heck have half the official crew screen one team and the other half do the other team before the game so there’s no bias or false reporting.

FB coaches are for this, from what I’ve heard.  Many baseball / softball coaches support it, as well.

Offline XFalkonz

• Starter
  • I once was lost....now I am A HOG!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 01:55:28 pm »
Every football coach I have talked to is for the switch. They want it if it insures they will have some sort of season. Right now it doesn’t look good. The switch to spring gives football coaches one thing they are running out of....time

Offline arenaboy10

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 02:26:36 pm »
Every football coach I have talked to is for the switch. They want it if it insures they will have some sort of season. Right now it doesn’t look good. The switch to spring gives football coaches one thing they are running out of....time

Something to consider if the seasons do flip flop... If max preps is correct there will be seven starting QBs in Arkansas High Schools this year  that are committed to D1 schools to play baseball.. Six of those are two year starters.. Im sure they will have a decision to make if they flip flop... Do they play football in the spring and risk putting themselves three or four months behind the rest of their incoming freshman teammates at their respective schools?

Offline XFalkonz

• Starter
  • I once was lost....now I am A HOG!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 05:09:55 pm »
That’s a great question. But no football season hurt the overall athletic program from the financial aspect. That is more important over all to make sure they make the money

Offline arkansasFBscoop

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 07:05:35 pm »
Something to consider if the seasons do flip flop... If max preps is correct there will be seven starting QBs in Arkansas High Schools this year  that are committed to D1 schools to play baseball.. Six of those are two year starters.. Im sure they will have a decision to make if they flip flop... Do they play football in the spring and risk putting themselves three or four months behind the rest of their incoming freshman teammates at their respective schools?

I wouldn't play if I was them.  That is a choice each young man would have to make.  Still, the decision shouldn't be about a small percentage of kids who are going to play college sports.  It should be made with the vast majority in mind.  IMO.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 09:55:17 pm »
I wouldn't play if I was them.  That is a choice each young man would have to make.  Still, the decision shouldn't be about a small percentage of kids who are going to play college sports.  It should be made with the vast majority in mind.  IMO.
+1

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 10:27:07 pm »
For as much as it would sting to have no football this fall if that happens.... If we really had a spring season then rolled right back into fall 2021 season 4 months later that might be the most exciting 8 months of sports we have all been apart of to see two football seasons in an 8 month span.

Baseball this fall in return if we had spring 2021 football would be kind of interesting in itself having some September and October baseball. Almost like postseason baseball in the MLB.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:30:57 pm by beach bum »

Offline PeteRose

• Water Boy
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 05:03:04 pm »
I hope there is a flip flop-----that wind over here in the flatlands whips down your neck in late February and early March sitting at for hours at baseball games.  That's more football weather.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center