Author Topic: Interruptions, cancellations, postponements and changes  (Read 4043 times)

Offline B.G.

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
Interruptions, cancellations, postponements and changes
« on: June 27, 2020, 11:24:07 am »
I'm expecting all of that for the 2020 High School Football season.  It will be very fluid as we go and interesting to say the least.

I have been in the first car on the optimism train, but given recent updates I think we can bet on variations to the schedules.

Predictions:
1. Spot restrictions on out of state team travel
2. Spot restrictions on county to county team travel
3. Non conference schedules to be a mess
4. You might see teams play each other that would never have played each before due to proximity requirements that might be imposed.
5. As for conference, I expect every effort to make that the minimum goal.

As for fans in stands, school attendance, practice limitations, health protocols, bus travel, mask requirements and more I think that changes with the flow.  Unpredictable as heck.

There are way too many players, coaches, school boards, school officials, AAA members, fans, politicians and health professionals that will certainly not all agree from county to county and district to district.

Hope I am wrong.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:29:27 am by B.G. »

Offline athletic supporter

• Assistant Coach
  • Red Devil Pride!!!
Re: Interruptions, cancellations, postponements and changes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 03:34:07 pm »
I'm expecting all of that for the 2020 High School Football season.  It will be very fluid as we go and interesting to say the least.

I have been in the first car on the optimism train, but given recent updates I think we can bet on variations to the schedules.

Predictions:
1. Spot restrictions on out of state team travel
2. Spot restrictions on county to county team travel
3. Non conference schedules to be a mess
4. You might see teams play each other that would never have played each before due to proximity requirements that might be imposed.
5. As for conference, I expect every effort to make that the minimum goal.

As for fans in stands, school attendance, practice limitations, health protocols, bus travel, mask requirements and more I think that changes with the flow.  Unpredictable as heck.

There are way too many players, coaches, school boards, school officials, AAA members, fans, politicians and health professionals that will certainly not all agree from county to county and district to district.

Hope I am wrong.

I think youíre spot on. Iím as big a fan as there is but it better be about SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY at this point

Offline GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

• Bench Warmer
  • INTELLECTUAL BRUTALITY
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 05:49:04 pm »
Even if we only got an 8 game season, with regular conference play and then a conference championship game of 1 vs. 2 would be better than nothing. Maybe a ninth game for the state title between the two conference champions. Much easier in 7A and 6A since there's only the two conferences.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 10:14:52 am »
I am admittedly probably being naive, but I am a little less pessimistic than your outlook simply because of who runs our state. I have said it before on similar posts about whether a season is played or not.... I am not saying I agree or disagree with this, but if the governor sends kids to school in August then I believe a season is played. If we shut down football or all extra-curricular activities for that matter, then they might as well cancel school again for the 2020-2021 academic year with kids sitting 20 plus in a shared ventilation room all day.

Also not saying this is right or wrong, but we live in a conservative state where the restrictions are going to be more relaxed than if we lived in California, Washington, etc.... This pandemic should not be something that is political, but the fact is that it has turned political. Simply by the fact of where we live and who runs the state also increases the likelihood we see a season played. The AAA is not going to override the governor in this. Its going to come down to whether the governor wants to move forward or not.

Now if a season is played I am sure people will have to sign a waiver and some won't do it. There will also be recommendations like limited fans at games and limited contact throughout the week in practice as well as some of the others things you listed.

I understand this is a serious matter and the people who still think this is fake or blown out of proportion are delusional because I know multiple people personally who have already been impacted by COVID-19 and 2/3 of them are young... Two people here in NWA, two in NYC, one in Dallas, and one in Louisville Kentucky.... But if we shut down every extra curricular activity there is, then they need to come out and be honest and say its also to unsafe to attend school as well with kids in a packed classroom setting.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:04:00 pm by beach bum »

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 02:54:27 pm »
I am admittedly probably being naive, but I am a little less pessimistic than your outlook simply because of who runs our state. I have said it before on similar posts about whether a season is played or not.... I am not saying I agree or disagree with this, but if the governor sends kids to school in August then I believe a season is played. If we shut down football or all extra-curricular activities for that matter, then they might as well cancel school again for the 2020-2021 academic year with kids sitting 20 plus in a shared ventilation room all day.

Also not saying this is right or wrong, but we live in a conservative state where the restrictions are going to be more relaxed than if we lived in California, Washington, etc.... This pandemic should not be something that is political, but the fact is that it has turned political. Simply by the fact of where we live and who runs the state also increases the likelihood we see a season played. The AAA is not going to override the governor in this. Its going to come down to whether the governor wants to move forward or not.

Now if a season is played I am sure people will have to sign a waiver and some won't do it. There will also be recommendations like limited fans at games and limited contact throughout the week in practice as well as some of the others things you listed.

I understand this is a serious matter and the people who still think this is fake or blown out of proportion are delusional because I know multiple people personally who have already been impacted by COVID-19 and 2/3 of them are young... Two people here in NWA, two in NYC, one in Dallas, and one in Louisville Kentucky.... But if we shut down every extra curricular activity there is, then they need to come out and be honest and say its also to unsafe to attend school as well with kids in a packed classroom setting.
I used to not think this way, but, I believe we could have school without extracurricular activities. School districts are already planning a program of instruction using a combination of ZOOM and classroom attendance so that they could social distance. Some kids would be in school and some at home on the computer similar to what they did at the end of last year. This is called a "blended" curriculum. That way the kids who are in school would have plenty of room to social distance and lessen the likelihood of disease transmission. That, along with masks and hand-cleaners. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a working knowledge of this,but do know it is a fact. I still believe football will be played unless things get awfully bad. So far, and I don't know the numbers for today, but for four days the numbers  of cases are getting smaller. As for as whether the governor is republican or democrat regarding the actions he takes, I don't think that plays a part. But, I am not going to get into a political discussion on these boards and I don't think you should either. Just like politicians are causing most of our problems, politics would destroy our board.

Offline R. A.ô

• All Star
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 09:59:46 pm »
If one of the guidelines is no school assemblies then we can have school without extracurricular activities.

Just saying.

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 08:33:39 am »
If one of the guidelines is no school assemblies then we can have school without extracurricular activities.

Just saying.
In the olden  days when I went to school, assemblies may have been a necessity, not any more. With all the visual technology available today (ZOOM, etc) THAT can be handled by computer or through classroom feed. School, at least for the foreseeable future, won't be like it was pre-pandemic. Will it get back that way? Maybe, maybe not. But one thing is for sure, technology will drive this movement. Who knows, it may be for the better. So many inner city schools are failing at their job, and so many small, suburban schools who cannot offer a full slate of  classes, may benefit from this movement. It's sad, in a way, because so many kids these days would miss out on what to you and me was so valuable, social interaction. When all 13 inner city schools in Baltimore cannot produce one single kid who is proficient in math, some changes need to be made. Maybe this is the change.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:19:31 am by Oldbadger »

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
  • Screw The Thought Police.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 08:40:17 am »
I used to not think this way, but, I believe we could have school without extracurricular activities. School districts are already planning a program of instruction using a combination of ZOOM and classroom attendance so that they could social distance. Some kids would be in school and some at home on the computer similar to what they did at the end of last year. This is called a "blended" curriculum. That way the kids who are in school would have plenty of room to social distance and lessen the likelihood of disease transmission. That, along with masks and hand-cleaners. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a working knowledge of this,but do know it is a fact. I still believe football will be played unless things get awfully bad. So far, and I don't know the numbers for today, but for four days the numbers  of cases are getting smaller. As for as whether the governor is republican or democrat regarding the actions he takes, I don't think that plays a part. But, I am not going to get into a political discussion on these boards and I don't think you should either. Just like politicians are causing most of our problems, politics would destroy our board.

Political agendas will always fuel discussion. Unfortunately this virus doesnít care if youíre a liberal or conservative, black, brown, white, poor or rich. But that doesnít and will not stop the left or right from capitalizing on gotcha politics and kick them while their down politics.

Iíve learned a few things in this epic year of 2020.

You respect medicine, youíre a book worm nut job who has no common sense.

You vote conservative, you are a racist who thinks mask wearing is stupid and you are an advanced virologist.

You vote liberal and you will do anything to place blame on the current president, his leadership, and capitalize on gotcha politics by kneeling with a mask wearing a kente robe.

Just so happens to be an election year, so the dumbarses know how to come out of the woodworks. And both the left and right are doing a dang fine job of it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:45:21 am by AirWarren »

Offline WhyUMad

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 10:54:25 am »
Political agendas will always fuel discussion. Unfortunately this virus doesnít care if youíre a liberal or conservative, black, brown, white, poor or rich. But that doesnít and will not stop the left or right from capitalizing on gotcha politics and kick them while their down politics.

You vote conservative, you are a racist who thinks mask wearing is stupid and you are an advanced virologist.

You vote liberal and you will do anything to place blame on the current president, his leadership, and capitalize on gotcha politics by kneeling with a mask wearing a kente robe.

Just so happens to be an election year, so the dumbarses know how to come out of the woodworks. And both the left and right are doing a dang fine job of it.

Gotta agree with AW! At this time WE are the ones that are losing. While media and politics are doing a grand job at scaring, separating, and what they do best CAPITALIZE on the moment! The people who they are sworn to protect and serve US are the ones allowing us to unemployed, sick, dying, and uninformed only caring what fits the agenda of their political base!

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 11:42:44 am »

Yes to all that you said... These last few years have actually made me more of a centrist seeing how far both polar extremes can get.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 11:58:10 am »
Yes to all that you said... These last few years have actually made me more of a centrist seeing how far both polar extremes can get.

Thatís the thing. Social media and mainstream media only make stories out of the extreme left. And extreme right.

The silent majority will speak at the end of the day.

Offline Baitshop

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • Pretentious Illiterate
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 01:47:40 pm »
Hereís a prediction for you...the 2020 Arkansas high school football season wonít go past Week 4...

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 02:36:38 pm »
Hereís a prediction for you...the 2020 Arkansas high school football season wonít go past Week 4...

I also feel that way.

Wait until a team is completely wiped out from positive cases with symptoms.

Online Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 03:02:18 pm »
I also feel that way.

Wait until a team is completely wiped out from positive cases with symptoms.
Yup, only takes a certain percentage and everyone goes home for 14 days.

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 03:13:31 pm »

Or it doesnít start until then.

I think some schools will struggle either in count or by mandate  to put a team on the field Week 0-Week 3

Online Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 03:59:26 pm »
Or it doesn’t start until then.

I think some schools will struggle either in count or by mandate  to put a team on the field Week 0-Week 3
I've been saying I don't know since March. I'm going to stay with that. Not looking good.

Offline arkansasFBscoop

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 05:01:57 pm »
I once felt otherwise, but I donít see any extracurricular activities at the high school level this entire school year.  Even transportation is going to strain school districts right now, itíll be tough to do things like cross country given current guidelines.  I, like all of you, love sports - but I just donít see it happening fellas.

Here is hoping a plan comes together by 2021-2022.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 06:53:04 pm »
Tomorrow, the governor is making an announcement in his daily presser about contact sports. That is what I just read. We should know more tomorrow afternoon.

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 07:40:39 pm »
I think we have news of a delay in starting the season for all team sports.

Thatís an educated guess.  I site no source.

Offline SnowPatrol

• Bench Warmer
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:37:27 pm by SnowPatrol »

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 10:43:38 pm »

I think youíre spot on.

Offline arkansasFBscoop

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 11:30:43 pm »

I doubt it even gets discussed tomorrow.  I figure it will be kicked down the road a few weeks.

I do think 7 game (conference) schedule beginning September 25th would buy some time for everyone.  You could start practice September 1st, same prep time teams get now.  No scrimmage.  That would allow a couple of weeks to reacclimate  students and teachers both to school and provide time to adapt to new rules.  I donít expect that to happen, but could work.

Offline purpleswag

• 2nd String
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 05:59:48 am »
I doubt it even gets discussed tomorrow.  I figure it will be kicked down the road a few weeks.

I do think 7 game (conference) schedule beginning September 25th would buy some time for everyone.  You could start practice September 1st, same prep time teams get now.  No scrimmage.  That would allow a couple of weeks to reacclimate  students and teachers both to school and provide time to adapt to new rules.  I donít expect that to happen, but could work.

I would start it earlier but agree with everything else

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 09:04:55 am »
I think for sure you see the week 0 games completely dropped. And possibly all non conference.

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 02:05:02 pm »
I hope not. That would be the Salt Bowl

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 02:06:26 pm »
I am not sure if anyone else is watching the presser and heard Asa answer the reporter's question about contact sports, but did I hear him correctly?

It sounds like contact sports can not begin until we enter phase 3 and he obviously said phase 3 will not begin until we see a decline in cases.... So as all of you predicted he is kicking the can down the road til a later date as we suspected. But it appears contact sports are tied to entering phase 3 if I heard him answer the question right. Did anyone else hear that too?

Offline SoftballCrazy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 02:09:17 pm »
Thatís the way I took it

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »
Thatís the way I took it

Alright thanks that is how I interpreted it the best I could of his answer

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 02:25:55 pm »
Alright thanks that is how I interpreted it the best I could of his answer
I thought he kinda slipped that in as a prewarning.  For now, no news is good news but I think we can see that starting school safely is on the front burner and football is not as of now.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 02:46:49 pm »
I thought he kinda slipped that in as a prewarning.  For now, no news is good news but I think we can see that starting school safely is on the front burner and football is not as of now.

A thought that went through my mind was if we never enter phase 3 by the end of August doesn't that mean no college football either? College football in the SEC involves big money so he may make an exception for it, but if we don't enter phase 3 by the end of August that has to mean no college either.

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2020, 02:59:33 pm »
I see college differently.  More personal choice there and as you said

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Offline WooPigPA

• Water Boy
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 04:37:26 pm »
I think you'll see a football season.  For many schools and more importantly the AAA Football funds everything.  It many not be in the Fall but I believe you'll see football in the late Fall or Spring.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2020, 06:03:19 pm »
I think you'll see a football season.  For many schools and more importantly the AAA Football funds everything.  It many not be in the Fall but I believe you'll see football in the late Fall or Spring.

I tend to be on the optimistic side in your viewpoint. If the governor eventually gives the ok then the AAA will move forward. Lance Taylor and the others that work for the AAA are not going to willingly give up their pay if the governor says contact sports can move forward. Now, Asa can obviously shut the whole thing down with his power and he may do that.

Football is the money maker for the AAA along with basketball next. All the other sports will be an afterthought to the AAA. I love a lot of sports, but I'd be in denial to not say football is king in this state and region of the country. The AAA will bend over backwards to have a football season in the spring if they have to even if it's at the detriment of baseball and all the "other sports" in the spring.  It's going to make players and coaches in the other sports angry, but football will run the show. But again, this will all come down to the governor, not the AAA. The AAA is merely only going to follow the governor's guidenlines because at the end of the day everyone that is employed by the AAA wants to be paid like the rest of us. It's up to Asa and his closest advisors to make that call about sports. We still have 5 or 6 weeks until the panic button is hit and season is either cancelled or pushed back... We will see.

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 11:05:59 am »
Not doubt the AAA will essentially do what the State tells them do.

Itís been that way sense they shut down the hoops finals in March.

And folks, I double down on my OP

Offline arkansasprepfootball

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 11:07:46 am »
Solid conversation happening in Tennessee today and they discuss multiple options for athletics.  Weíre seeing one glaring issue here in Arkansas. Neighboring states have much better communication between their state association and their coaches.  AAA awkwardly silent during this entire situation.

Offline Jwolf12

• Bench Warmer
  • Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 11:32:03 am »
Several states including Michigan and Tennessee are discussing moving non-contact Sports (baseball and softball) to the fall and football and volleyball to the spring. It really doesnít matter what happens, it will be a win as long as football can still happen.

Online Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 11:59:45 am »
Several states including Michigan and Tennessee are discussing moving non-contact Sports (baseball and softball) to the fall and football and volleyball to the spring. It really doesnít matter what happens, it will be a win as long as football can still happen.
This makes too much sense to happen here.

Offline Cabotfan

• All Star
  • Go Panthers
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2020, 12:19:31 pm »

But Spring is when this all started. That is what stopped basketball and baseball this year. Why does anyone think next spring will be any different? Are they assuming there will be a vaccine by then?

Offline Jwolf12

• Bench Warmer
  • Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 01:42:24 pm »
But Spring is when this all started. That is what stopped basketball and baseball this year. Why does anyone think next spring will be any different? Are they assuming there will be a vaccine by then?

I would imagine thatís their thinking behind it. They say they should have a vaccine by early 2021, but who knows...

Offline athletic supporter

• Assistant Coach
  • Red Devil Pride!!!
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2020, 01:43:21 pm »
The governor just said, ďIf we want to have the opportunity to have football in the fall, then people need to wear masks to slow down the cases.Ē Sounds to me like no football this fall.

Online Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2020, 01:49:47 pm »
Herd immunity or a vaccine maybe.

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2020, 11:32:49 am »
Whom ever created this post is just a FEARMONGERING. Stirring up ignorant conversation. If you don't want football this fall then stay home and don't watch it. Same to you other Dr. Faucis'. We will have sports this fall nuff said. Wear your masks and carry on.

Community Leader

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2020, 02:23:31 pm »
Whom ever created this post is just a FEARMONGERING. Stirring up ignorant conversation. If you don't want football this fall then stay home and don't watch it. Same to you other Dr. Faucis'. We will have sports this fall nuff said. Wear your masks and carry on.

Community Leader

Highlighted the Wrong assumption.

Read again.  My belief is there are people that do get to decide that things will be abnormal.  At least at the start. 

Scoreboard Guy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:28:09 pm by B.G. »

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2020, 02:27:12 pm »

Community Leader

Slow your central Arkansas roll and comprehend a bit better.

Hope I am wrong.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2020, 03:06:38 pm »

Community Leader

Haha.

Not much better than a marble mouth tough guy.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2020, 06:27:29 pm »

Community Leader

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/ivy-league-canceling-fall-sports-bad-news-01ecr6bnp0df

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2020, 03:48:56 am »
https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/ivy-league-canceling-fall-sports-bad-news-01ecr6bnp0df
Well, good thing for us there Bubba that is not the power 5. As it states they do not depend on funds from sports to operate. That is the equivalent of comparing Hendrix college need for sports to operate vs Arkansas Razorbacks need for sports to operate.

Community Leader

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2020, 03:55:41 am »
Slow your central Arkansas roll and comprehend a bit better.
All those people matter NOT. We have 1 Governor and the AAA.  ;D

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2020, 09:02:14 am »
Well, good thing for us there Bubba that is not the power 5. As it states they do not depend on funds from sports to operate. That is the equivalent of comparing Hendrix college need for sports to operate vs Arkansas Razorbacks need for sports to operate.

Community Leader

Wow, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the clarity hoss.

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2020, 10:25:16 am »
All those people matter NOT. We have 1 Governor and the AAA.  ;D

Allowing football and each school with their team on the field each week are not the same thing.

And that is my point

Carry on with your slobber

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center