Author Topic: Longest head coach in Arkansas high school history?  (Read 510 times)

Offline kingoftherapids

• Bench Warmer
Longest head coach in Arkansas high school history?
« on: June 23, 2020, 07:57:41 pm »
Any sport, any classification, any number of school stops?

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: Longest head coach in Arkansas high school history?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 09:53:41 pm »
Wasn't that old Huntsville coach who retired there literally forever in basketball? In fact wasn't it the girls and guys coach who both spent so long there? I literally never won a road game at that gym 7th-12th grade when he coached there, but as a consolation I don't think many did win either at their gym when they had the program at its height. He really built a quality program in an area with not a lot of raw talent. I always respected the Huntsville basketball program.

Offline kingoftherapids

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:15:15 am »
Wasn't that old Huntsville coach who retired there literally forever in basketball? In fact wasn't it the girls and guys coach who both spent so long there? I literally never won a road game at that gym 7th-12th grade when he coached there, but as a consolation I don't think many did win either at their gym when they had the program at its height. He really built a quality program in an area with not a lot of raw talent. I always respected the Huntsville basketball program.
first year coaching was in 1960 at hector then to plummerville then to huntsville in 1968 where he coached for the next 50 years. crazy. 58 years on the sidelines.

Online HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 02:07:33 pm »
first year coaching was in 1960 at hector then to plummerville then to huntsville in 1968 where he coached for the next 50 years. crazy. 58 years on the sidelines.
Charles berry
5 years at Hector coaching basketball baseball and track....
2 years at plumerville

1368 wins 2 state title and national coach of the year in 2008

Boys coach mentioned earlier was Jim Stafford... He was at Wonderview, morrilton, lead hill and Palestine before spending 25 years at Huntsville.

John Hutchcraft was at Guy from 1979-2018... Was at hazen in 1977 and Grubbs in 1978.... Coached boys and girls for almost all those 40 seasons, And coached all 4 teams for first 25 years. 11 state title and 10 runner ups 2103-617 record...

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 01:37:20 pm »
Uncertain about state history on this topic.  Within our conference, Mountainburg has Chris Nolen and Tom Harrell who have coached there* 30+ years; at Magazine Randy Loyd is in his 28th year and Randy Bryan going into his 32nd year.  Keith Willsey at Acorn has coached 40+ years I believe but spread out at Hartford and Acorn. I believe those are the five longest coaching careers within our conference. But that is quickly off the top of my head.

Online HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 03:01:06 pm »
Uncertain about state history on this topic.  Within our conference, Mountainburg has Chris Nolen and Tom Harrell who have coached there* 30+ years; at Magazine Randy Loyd is in his 28th year and Randy Bryan going into his 32nd year.  Keith Willsey at Acorn has coached 40+ years I believe but spread out at Hartford and Acorn. I believe those are the five longest coaching careers within our conference. But that is quickly off the top of my head.

Gonna be some culture shock in the Mountainburg athletic department when those 2 and Harrell hang it up

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:16:34 am »
Gonna be some culture shock in the Mountainburg athletic department when those 2 and Harrell hang it up

There was a handful of years they have had some teams finish runner up in the conference where I thought they were going to get that elusive conference championship only for it to be snatched away. Heck, I think as recently as 2018 Hector week 10 won by the skin of their teeth when people all week thought Mountainburg was going to get the conference crown and win semi comfortably. Pesky Hector ruined their night. I swear Mountainburg has been the 2 seed so many times that might as well become their annual seed. Consistency, consistency, consistency

If Danville isn't in the conference in 2017 then Mountainburg  probably wins it that year too in the 4-2A

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center