Author Topic: Is there high school football this fall?  (Read 6002 times)

Offline LionX2

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: Is there high school football this fall?
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2020, 07:42:39 am »
This is not accurate.

If the season isn’t switched, it won’t be based off bogus injury data.  Remember, kids currently go from spring football to team camps / 7on7 to the regular season.  Very little difference.

If injury was a concern, we’d scale back on “competition days” during the summer.

You are really comparing spring ball to a full season of football?

Offline arkansasprepfootball

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 09:16:15 am »
You are really comparing spring ball to a full season of football?

Not spring itself, but the entirety of the current setup.  Spring ball directly into 4x per week summer program that includes live scrimmages (team camps) that goes directly into fall camp and now a season that starts earlier than ever.

Playing a spring season, then modifying the summer for a year - no team camps, perhaps July only workouts, would not be much different that current format.  You understand how it goes in summer now, nothing for a school to go out in late June and get 60 snaps on O and 60 snaps on D in 95 degree weather at a team camp.  That can’t be great for player safety - playing the equivalency of a game.

There is no reason a modified schedule couldn’t be played in the spring.  The UIL has mentioned it’s on the table in Texas, but as a “last resort”.  Louisiana nixed then idea, not because of safety but because of their infatuation with playing state title games in the Superdome.

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2020, 09:27:24 am »
I guess anything could happen. But I really would be totally surprised if this switching occurs. They will try anything possible to not do it. This includes wearing helmets with see through visors on them. The logistics of a switch would be almost undoable. Don't think it will go.

Offline PigskinPete

• Bench Warmer
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2020, 01:05:13 pm »
I’m told the AAA will vote this week on whether to make the switch.

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 05:49:28 pm »
I’m told the AAA will vote this week on whether to make the switch.
Oh wow, if so, the AD's have their jobs cut out for them. I can't imagine starting football with snow on the ground, bus travel  hazardous due to ice, and trying to play games with spring storms stopping them frequently. Plus rescheduling, not only football, but also baseball and perhaps other sports. Talk about a cluster!

Offline B.G.

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 07:42:23 pm »
I think news will come out of Asa’s daily update tomorrow that will answer a lot of this

Offline AirItOut21

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2020, 08:35:52 pm »
I have heard AAA is meeting tomorrow

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2020, 11:08:06 pm »
Not spring itself, but the entirety of the current setup.  Spring ball directly into 4x per week summer program that includes live scrimmages (team camps) that goes directly into fall camp and now a season that starts earlier than ever.

Playing a spring season, then modifying the summer for a year - no team camps, perhaps July only workouts, would not be much different that current format.  You understand how it goes in summer now, nothing for a school to go out in late June and get 60 snaps on O and 60 snaps on D in 95 degree weather at a team camp.  That can’t be great for player safety - playing the equivalency of a game.

There is no reason a modified schedule couldn’t be played in the spring.  The UIL has mentioned it’s on the table in Texas, but as a “last resort”.  Louisiana nixed then idea, not because of safety but because of their infatuation with playing state title games in the Superdome.

This actually makes sense.  Start football Pre-season practices after basketball ends.  Games start after spring break (even if it's modified season). 

Most major or Power 5 Teams have already made verbal offers/commitments already.  The ones that it would hurt would those on the bubble of a Power 5/Group of 5,.  Those being considered as being D1 or D2.  And those that could have a breakout Sr. Season. 

Most D1 Colleges are already offering sophomore's and Juniors already. 

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020, 07:50:43 am »
If this happens, you haven't seen a cluster yet! We will rue the day we even considered this. I would rather miss a whole season than go this  direction.

[/quote]

Online Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2020, 08:00:45 am »
Did AAA have a meeting yesterday?

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2020, 09:02:25 am »
Did AAA have a meeting yesterday?
I think someone said it is today, 6/30/2020.

Offline arkansasprepfootball

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2020, 09:24:48 am »
If this happens, you haven't seen a cluster yet! We will rue the day we even considered this. I would rather miss a whole season than go this  direction.

I really fail to see the major issue here.

Baseball and softball coaches appear open to the idea, better weather, most of their “studs” are already playing anyway.

“We’ve always done it this way” is a poor reason not to consider this option.

Also, college signing day has been mentioned.  Most DI kids already hold offers.  Signing Day at that level is just the first day of a signing period, not the only day you can sign.  This move would impact kids very little.  Some of the big time kids might opt not to play, but such is life.  They have to make a decision based off risk and their teams might have to find a way to do without.  It’d impact those coaches who do nothing but ride talent, but most are developing depth anyway.  We must consider good of the whole more than good of the few.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:27:25 am by arkansasprepfootball »

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2020, 12:20:56 pm »
I really fail to see the major issue here.

Baseball and softball coaches appear open to the idea, better weather, most of their “studs” are already playing anyway.

“We’ve always done it this way” is a poor reason not to consider this option.

Also, college signing day has been mentioned.  Most DI kids already hold offers.  Signing Day at that level is just the first day of a signing period, not the only day you can sign.  This move would impact kids very little.  Some of the big time kids might opt not to play, but such is life.  They have to make a decision based off risk and their teams might have to find a way to do without.  It’d impact those coaches who do nothing but ride talent, but most are developing depth anyway.  We must consider good of the whole more than good of the few.
I may be wrong, but I can foresee a logistical nightmare. Not only having to change schedules for, at least, football and baseball, but referees or umpires, scheduling conflicts, etc. And this isn't just for one or two schools, but about 300 of them. It won't  cause me any indigestion for sure, but, on the outside looking in, I just foresee a nightmare that we may wish never existed. We'll see.

Offline birddawg1986

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2020, 09:22:30 pm »
Unless a miracle happens you can kiss fall sports goodbye. Pray for all of our kids

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2020, 12:03:11 am »
Most DI kids already hold offers.  Signing Day at that level is just the first day of a signing period, not the only day you can sign.  This move would impact kids very little.  Some of the big time kids might opt not to play, but such is life.  They have to make a decision based off risk and their teams might have to find a way to do without.  It’d impact those coaches who do nothing but ride talent, but most are developing depth anyway. 

Good Statement.  And consider this, as you said most D1 kids have offers (many have offers after their sophomore and Junior Season), so if the seasons were flipped, and those High/Major D1 students opt out of playing the Spring, then well, I say congratulations to them, because they earned as we are in an era of uncertain times on anything. 

This could also force Mid to low Level D1 Colleges to have a Hold back on a certain number of scholarships for those athletes that have a break out Sr. Season.  Which would open up a new round of College Recruiting.  As well, it would pause the amount of offers for this years Sophmors and Juniors until a Spring football season was completed. 

Finally, I agree with your statement that it would most definately affect coaches who do nothing but ride talent (as that talent might sit out and get ready for D1).  Which could provide form more competitive football and closer games and coaches actually coaching instead of relying upon a deep talent pool. 

Yes, colleges might not have all the evaluation or offers or whatever this or that for fall 2020.  But it would also help Sophmores and Juniors raise their stock/prospect value.  As without the already signed D1 kids and sitting out, then all colleges would have to recruit differently and have another/additional evaluation period. 

If (and thats a big IF) this were to happen, then the AAA could enact a temporary protective ban on certain activities/additional dead periods, to protect all kids involved in sports, to give them time to recover. 

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2020, 08:59:47 am »
We are assuming that every state in the US flipflops their seasons. When only talking Arkansas, I doubt many colleges change too much in the recruiting process. Perhaps the Arkansas D2 schools might. If this becomes a nationwide thing, you are probably right!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:04:02 am by Oldbadger »

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2020, 02:07:34 am »
So, Gov. Hutchinson on stage, had a football in his right hand and a face mask in his left hand stated "There is a connection between this mask and this football.  If we want football..... we need to concentrate on this mask now. 

And he prefaced this by stating both college and High School, and he also included basketball as a contact. sport.   

As well as yesterday he said we wouldn't go to phase 3 or re-evaluate contact sports until the number of cases go down. 

Anyone thoughts or predictions? 

My initial thought is it's his final wake up call, to wear a mask as a preventative measure to decrease the rate of infections, hospitalizations, deaths, etc.  Abide by this, and social distancing guidelines.  Otherwise if rates of infection, hospitalizations, deaths, people on ventilators (who face a 46% chance of death) continue to increase, then no football (college or high school). 

In other words, for those that don't wear a mask going to a gas station, wal-mart, or go to a Restaurant and complain about this or don't want to wear a mask, then is his last ditch effort, that if you refuse to and don't want to, and the numbers increase, then we will lose football, basketballl and other contact sports.   

So, And Go.  LOL. 

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2020, 10:05:34 am »
So, Gov. Hutchinson on stage, had a football in his right hand and a face mask in his left hand stated "There is a connection between this mask and this football.  If we want football..... we need to concentrate on this mask now. 

And he prefaced this by stating both college and High School, and he also included basketball as a contact. sport.   

As well as yesterday he said we wouldn't go to phase 3 or re-evaluate contact sports until the number of cases go down. 

Anyone thoughts or predictions? 

My initial thought is it's his final wake up call, to wear a mask as a preventative measure to decrease the rate of infections, hospitalizations, deaths, etc.  Abide by this, and social distancing guidelines.  Otherwise if rates of infection, hospitalizations, deaths, people on ventilators (who face a 46% chance of death) continue to increase, then no football (college or high school). 

In other words, for those that don't wear a mask going to a gas station, wal-mart, or go to a Restaurant and complain about this or don't want to wear a mask, then is his last ditch effort, that if you refuse to and don't want to, and the numbers increase, then we will lose football, basketballl and other contact sports.   

So, And Go.  LOL. 

That's how I took it! Pretty clear. He makes the decision on this! I agree with him also.

Offline Gabe H. Coud

• Water Boy
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2020, 02:50:52 am »
That's how I took it! Pretty clear. He makes the decision on this! I agree with him also.

So, pretty plain and simple.  To those that are obstinate and object to wearing a face mask.

Gov. Hutchinson has made it perfectly clear.  If you want football, then wear a mask, and reduce the rate of infections, etc. 

Offline OB11

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
  • 6+4+3=2

Online AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
  • Screw The Thought Police.
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2020, 04:05:03 pm »
https://twitter.com/ArkActAssn/status/1280593898339958787?s=20

Means nothing other than they are going to attempt to start as planned.

Wait until a team becomes positive with symptoms. Especially with a roster of 35 and less.

Offline BigTimeFan!1

• Cheerleader
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2020, 06:34:11 pm »
Still a lot of wait and see. 

Gov. (& ADH) won't allow contact sports until Phase 3.  AR seems to be a long way off to get to Phase 3 in > 2 months....

Online DefinitelyNotACoach

• Water Boy
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2020, 09:40:50 pm »
I’d say no sports this year. Should be spring sports but they’ve really waited about to long to flip contact sports of fall/winter to deeper into the year. Going to be hard to get officials and scheduling figured out as long as they’ve pushed these decisions back.

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2020, 11:35:49 am »
I heard the AAA said this , I heard the AAA said that , STOP lying ! Many of you don't know anything just running your keyboards.
Whom ever created this post is just a FEARMONGERING. Stirring up ignorant conversation. If you don't want football this fall then stay home and don't watch it. Same to you other Dr. Faucis'. We will have sports this fall nuff said. Wear your masks and carry on.

Community Leader  ;D ::)

Online DefinitelyNotACoach

• Water Boy
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2020, 11:46:21 am »
I heard the AAA said this , I heard the AAA said that , STOP lying ! Many of you don't know anything just running your keyboards.
Whom ever created this post is just a FEARMONGERING. Stirring up ignorant conversation. If you don't want football this fall then stay home and don't watch it. Same to you other Dr. Faucis'. We will have sports this fall nuff said. Wear your masks and carry on.

Community Leader  ;D ::)

Hope you’re right. But afraid the powers that be won’t make the same decisions. I’d guess there won’t be. I want there to be, to clarify. I think there should be. I just don’t think there will be. And really not sure what you’ve seen through this whole pandemic process that makes you think these people are gonna make a decision to play.

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2020, 12:32:50 pm »
Everything points to we will. When we play please stay home  ::)

Community Leader
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:35:15 pm by Sterilee »

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2020, 12:42:06 pm »
Unless a miracle happens you can kiss fall sports goodbye. Pray for all of our kids
Stay home please !

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2020, 12:44:44 pm »
Hope you’re right. But afraid the powers that be won’t make the same decisions. I’d guess there won’t be. I want there to be, to clarify. I think there should be. I just don’t think there will be. And really not sure what you’ve seen through this whole pandemic process that makes you think these people are gonna make a decision to play.
I am always right 95% of the time.

Community Leader ,

Offline StingEm

• 2nd String
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2020, 03:16:11 pm »
Means nothing other than they are going to attempt to start as planned.

Wait until a team becomes positive with symptoms. Especially with a roster of 35 and less.

https://malvern-online.com/content/%EF%BB%BFmalvern-football-coach-tests-positive-covid-19

Online Mancho Hogo

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2020, 10:54:02 pm »
Imagine a virus so deadly that 90% have to be tested to know they have it

Offline StingEm

• 2nd String
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2020, 05:18:17 pm »
Imagine a virus so deadly that 90% have to be tested to know they have it

Imagine not caring if you are carrying a virus that is contagious and dangerous for other people.

Offline Sterilee

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2020, 03:03:24 pm »
UHSAA announced that they will move ahead with fall sports despite the pandemic. They stated their kids needed it and they wanted things to get back to normal. UIL next then us.

Offline bulldoghistorian

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2020, 09:04:45 pm »
UHSAA announced that they will move ahead with fall sports despite the pandemic. They stated their kids needed it and they wanted things to get back to normal. UIL next then us.
Good!🤞

Offline panther22

• Water Boy
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2020, 10:59:42 pm »
I go back and forth on whether football will happen.  People have lost their minds and are eat up with the media narrative that the world is coming to an end because of covid and nobody seems to have sense enough to look at data and think rationally. 

The stark reality is that the flu is far more dangerous and deadly to people under age 25.  Straight off the CDC website, the U.S death toll is currently about 134,884.  Only 179 of those deaths were under the age of 25.  That is .1% of the deaths.  Not 1%, but .1%.  When you consider there have been 3,296,599 positive tests total, then the mortality rate for people under 25 is .00005 percent. 

151 people in that age group died from the FLU during the same time period.  When you look at the age group 0-14, the covid death number is 29, and the FLU is 100. 

The CDC is estimating the total number of cases is 10x what is known.  If that's true, then the mortality rate goes to .000005% for those under 25.  It's statistically 0.  No, I know it's no zero, but if that justifies cancelling fall sports, then football is too dangerous to play to begin with, we can never play again due to the risk of a player getting the flu, and kids shouldn't drive to school because they are many times more likely to die in an auto accident.

If they cancel ANY fall sports, it is beyond absurd.

If you cancel football, kids are going to be on the streets in the afternoon instead of at practice.  They are still going to be hanging out on Friday nights.  They would be a whole lot better off playing ball, they are gonna be around each other anyway.

People need to start speaking up and flooding the Governor's office and AAA with calls and letters.  Right now the small minority that are eating up the political media narrative and think schools should be closed indefinitely are screaming very loudly!

Offline StingEm

• 2nd String
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2020, 10:44:06 am »
I go back and forth on whether football will happen.  People have lost their minds and are eat up with the media narrative that the world is coming to an end because of covid and nobody seems to have sense enough to look at data and think rationally. 

The stark reality is that the flu is far more dangerous and deadly to people under age 25.  Straight off the CDC website, the U.S death toll is currently about 134,884.  Only 179 of those deaths were under the age of 25.  That is .1% of the deaths.  Not 1%, but .1%.  When you consider there have been 3,296,599 positive tests total, then the mortality rate for people under 25 is .00005 percent. 

151 people in that age group died from the FLU during the same time period.  When you look at the age group 0-14, the covid death number is 29, and the FLU is 100. 

The CDC is estimating the total number of cases is 10x what is known.  If that's true, then the mortality rate goes to .000005% for those under 25.  It's statistically 0.  No, I know it's no zero, but if that justifies cancelling fall sports, then football is too dangerous to play to begin with, we can never play again due to the risk of a player getting the flu, and kids shouldn't drive to school because they are many times more likely to die in an auto accident.

If they cancel ANY fall sports, it is beyond absurd.

If you cancel football, kids are going to be on the streets in the afternoon instead of at practice.  They are still going to be hanging out on Friday nights.  They would be a whole lot better off playing ball, they are gonna be around each other anyway.

People need to start speaking up and flooding the Governor's office and AAA with calls and letters.  Right now the small minority that are eating up the political media narrative and think schools should be closed indefinitely are screaming very loudly!

COVID doesn't have to kill to harm. There can be long term consequences of non-lethal infections.  COVID  positive kids can infect others in different age groups who may be more likely to die. Also, deaths are a lagging indicator.  School reopening in Isreal did not go well.

I like these:

NFL, Oakley reveal new face shield to protect players from the coronavirus in 2020 season

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-oakley-reveal-new-face-shield-to-protect-players-from-the-coronavirus-in-2020-season/

The current trend in college sports does not bode well for football.  In fact, it doesn't even bode well for school in general.  Let's hope we all catch a break soon.  Meanwhile, wear a mask!

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center