Author Topic: Teams that have a shot  (Read 1945 times)

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Teams that have a shot
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:04:15 pm »
Alright guys who are the top contenders for next years crown and why? Players,coaches, etc thatíll have a huge impact. Ready to watch some ball but until then all we can do is talk about it.

Offline DefinitelyNotACoach

• Water Boy
Re: Teams that have a shot
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:19:51 pm »
Alright guys who are the top contenders for next years crown and why? Players,coaches, etc thatíll have a huge impact. Ready to watch some ball but until then all we can do is talk about it.

Excited to try and catch the sophomore at LR Christian next year. That kid is fun to watch. Canít remember his name but sheesh he can go.

Online Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:22:36 pm »
Girls- Vilonia, Little Rock Christian, Batesville, Greenwood, Mountain Home, and West Memphis will all be strong. Nettleton not sure w loss of Eaton, but theyíre consistently in the mix.

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:59:12 pm »
Girls- Vilonia, Little Rock Christian, Batesville, Greenwood, Mountain Home, and West Memphis will all be strong. Nettleton not sure w loss of Eaton, but theyíre consistently in the mix.

With Vilonia it will be interesting to see who they get as a coach. Especially this late into the hiring season. Any chance Simon goes to the girls side with all of his success in girls and vilonia having the group they have would be fun to watch. Just speculating he may be 100% content on the boys side i dont know.

• Water Boy
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 09:28:28 pm »
With Vilonia it will be interesting to see who they get as a coach. Especially this late into the hiring season. Any chance Simon goes to the girls side with all of his success in girls and vilonia having the group they have would be fun to watch. Just speculating he may be 100% content on the boys side i dont know.

He will move over to girls. Unless something has drastically changed I think that was even discussed when he went over there.

Online Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 07:33:40 am »
Rileyís not the coach anymore? He retire?

Online Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 09:58:43 am »
Rileyís not the coach anymore? He retire?
Never mind. I found the answer. Donít know any details at all, but thatís definitely surprising. Imo one of the best coaches around. Thatís quite a program heís built there

Offline longshotss

• Band Nerd
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 12:17:52 pm »

Agreed - I would say likely LRCA and Vilonia, with Greenwood having a strong shot too.

Online jsky14

• Bench Warmer
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 06:26:07 pm »
Never mind. I found the answer. Donít know any details at all, but thatís definitely surprising. Imo one of the best coaches around. Thatís quite a program heís built there
Donít keep us in suspense. Did he retire?

Online Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 08:16:26 pm »
No he didnít retire. I just saw that they didnít extend his contract. I have no idea why or what the reasons are. Iím sure there are folks who know, but I sure donít. All I know is a lot of schools would love to have that guy coaching their team

Offline Rocket23

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 10:17:39 pm »
Excited to try and catch the sophomore at LR Christian next year. That kid is fun to watch. Canít remember his name but sheesh he can go.

Layden Blocker

Offline VHSCoach2

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 08:36:08 am »
No he didnít retire. I just saw that they didnít extend his contract. I have no idea why or what the reasons are. Iím sure there are folks who know, but I sure donít. All I know is a lot of schools would love to have that guy coaching their team

Coach Riley gave the girls with the most talent the most minutes, rather than giving minutes to those who had relatives on the School Board.

The ironic part is that one of those School Board members was one of the ones who played a part in hiring him nearly twenty years ago.

Online Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 10:02:00 am »
Coach Riley gave the girls with the most talent the most minutes, rather than giving minutes to those who had relatives on the School Board.

The ironic part is that one of those School Board members was one of the ones who played a part in hiring him nearly twenty years ago.
Wow. One of the best coaches in the state of any sport. Honestly, a legend in HS basketball. And thatís the thanks he gets. Absolutely pitiful

• Water Boy
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 02:07:46 pm »
Wow. One of the best coaches in the state of any sport. Honestly, a legend in HS basketball. And thatís the thanks he gets. Absolutely pitiful

Spot on.
Unfortunate reality of the profession in our times. Itís pretty sad.

Offline 501 to 870

• Water Boy
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 04:07:25 pm »
West Memphis? Mountain Home? Both lost alot of experience in their starting lineups....not disagreeing but you may want to look at the experience on the roster. Both have strong D1 players coming back but both lost alot! Nettleton will have to do it by committee! good news for Nettleton!? Wofford-Bird will be back. She basically got robbed of her Junior season! If she comes back hungry, Nettleton will be fine....Definitely, the rest you listed are right on imo!!!

Online Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 04:57:55 pm »
I saw on maxpreps only 1 sr for West Memphis, which is why I included them. I guess that info was not accurate. I was impressed when I saw Mountain Home play at state and I remember looking at their roster and thinking ďdang most of these girls are coming backĒ but I guess I read it wrong or something, or got them mixed up w another team. Iím not as familiar w teams from the East. So thx for your input!

Offline 501 to 870

• Water Boy
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 11:02:44 am »
I saw on maxpreps only 1 sr for West Memphis, which is why I included them. I guess that info was not accurate. I was impressed when I saw Mountain Home play at state and I remember looking at their roster and thinking ďdang most of these girls are coming backĒ but I guess I read it wrong or something, or got them mixed up w another team. Iím not as familiar w teams from the East. So thx for your input!
West Memphis lost 2 starts to Graduation....Mountain home lost 3 to graduation but I believe only play 7 players and I believe one of them was a Senior too.....one thing bout High School sports tho is that you never know! I believe Mountain Home is moving out of the East but not sure what Conference they will be in!! Mountain Home does have alot of kids coming back but not sure how many of them have alot of on floor experience. One thing for sure tho, Mountain Home always is a threat because of their Coach. He does a great job year in and year out!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:05:25 am by 501 to 870 »

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 11:43:14 pm »
So letís take the Top 4 teams from the state tournament this past year. Marion, Jacksonville, West Memphis, Maumelle, and lets through in Hot Springs, Sylvan Hills, and Parkview. Whose making a run at top dog next year?

Offline ballmember

• 2nd String
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 03:52:22 pm »
Sad that when u get on school board u become an excellent coach.   What happens with new coach at Vilonia if right kids not played? How do u not renew teacher contracts. 

Offline Jimmymack

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 08:00:08 pm »
Riley had discipline and that was the bottom line of him getting the shaft. 

If this new coach let's down on discipline like I think he will the Vilonia girls

might be a 500 team.  No discipline, no winning

Online Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 09:57:12 pm »

If this new coach let's down on discipline like I think he will the Vilonia girls

I think their best chance to win was last year anyway. Theyíll miss their 2 posts, especially Kelley, who they lost to Graduation. But they still have a legitimate chance to compete for a title, I think.
I was wondering if his old school style of coaching had something to do w it. The whole world is so pc today, you canít do anything without offending someone. Offend the wrong person, and youíre done.

Offline VHSCoach2

• All Star
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 04:29:26 pm »

That may have played a small part in Riley's contract not being renewed. A very small part, though.

The main issue was that some of the School Board members had relatives on the team who were not given as many minutes as the core group of players...because they weren't as good. Riley gave the best players the most minutes, and in small-town Vilonia with small-town politics, feelings got hurt.

Offline OB11

• All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 03:18:28 pm »
That may have played a small part in Riley's contract not being renewed. A very small part, though.

The main issue was that some of the School Board members had relatives on the team who were not given as many minutes as the core group of players...because they weren't as good. Riley gave the best players the most minutes, and in small-town Vilonia with small-town politics, feelings got hurt.

Small-town politics don't win big school championships. Hate it for their previous coach.

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 08:21:36 pm »
Anyone heard of any schools that were good getting any transfers to make them legit contenders?

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center