Author Topic: Shot Clock in 6A for 2020-21 Season  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Missco

• Assistant Coach
  • To be the Man you gotta beat the Man
Re: Shot Clock in 6A for 2020-21 Season
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2020, 02:38:09 pm »
Lol, so true JessieP.

Offline NEA Razorback olfan

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2020, 04:55:23 pm »
I probably watch 60-70 games every season, and people are wrong who think there aren't many possessions that last 35 seconds. There are many in every game, even by teams with reputations for pushing the ball. These are still kids and they need to be allowed to execute an offense as long as it takes to get a good shot.
This idea of stopping teams from "holding the ball" is a non issue for two reasons.
1. It rarely ever happens. What's really being eliminated is offensive execution.
2. There is a 5-second rule. Teams can't stand around and hold the ball without a complicit defense.

I've known this has been coming. I have my theory as to why, and I still think it's a mistake. It's bad for high school sports, and worse for the game at higher levels.

+1

Online Rayburn

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2020, 06:10:19 pm »
Some of the reasons being given for opposing the shot clock in this debate are laughable. Lack of offensive execution? Loss of fundamentals? Yeah, the NCAA or the NBA canít score. When was the last time you saw a 35-19 score in any game above high school level? Of the 8 states that currently MANDATE a shot clock 2, California and New York, produce the highest per capita number of college players. Thatís PER CAPITA. I wonder why, hmmm? Could it be they force the kids to play a full game of basketball. Btw, the NFHS list cost as the top reason why all states have yet to mandate a shot clock. They also state that by 2022 the majority of states will implement one.

I do understand feeling sentimental for the good old days but donít call yourself a purist. Am I not a purist if I agree that football helmets should have a face mask? I realize that some long for the day of fresh faced boys with crew cuts, Chuck Conner Converse, white socks pulled up to the knees wearing shorts that only hung 2 inches below the jocks making two handed chest passes. Sorry kids, those days are gone. Adapt or die.

Time to bring our kids up to speed. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the that team Hickory from the movie Hoosiers would get their brains beat out today.
The only proper response to an ad-hominem, reductio ad absurdum non argument like this one is as follows.

I realize that some of you reality TV addicted, attention-span challenged, instant gratification junkies long for a game where defenses yield a path to the rim as soon as someone with sick ups gets the ball, and you're getting your way. But the game called basketball will die.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 06:13:16 pm by Rayburn »

Offline JessieP

• All Star
  • Take down the scoreboards.
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2020, 06:39:19 pm »
The only proper response to an ad-hominem, reductio ad absurdum non argument like this one is as follows.

I realize that some of you reality TV addicted, attention-span challenged, instant gratification junkies long for a game where defenses yield a path to the rim as soon as someone with sick ups gets the ball, and you're getting your way. But the game called basketball will die.

Yes, that is a very lucid thought out point. There is no question that the shot clock is killing basketball, none. Since the NBA first started using it in 1954 it has started a slow painful march towards death. The NCAA started it in 1984 and last time I checked college basketball was in hospice care. Imagine if the NBA never had a shot clock? Maybe itís popularity could have spread to other countries? Can you imagine kids in China wearing NBA gear? Think of the possibilities if the NCAA never implemented one? Maybe they could come up with some sort of popular post season tournament where like 68 teams battled for the title. They could have come up with some clever slogan for said tournament like ď March NuttiestĒ. Imagine the possibilities if only.

Curse you shot clock, curse you. Youíre killing basketball. At this rate there will be none in 200 or so years.

If I posted that implementing a shot clock was a bad idea because it would allow the Illuminati to mobilize the shape shifting aliens to take over mankind and finally allow Elvis to return and take his seat at the throne. If I had posted that it wouldnít be the dumbest argument against a shot clock. On this thread.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2020, 06:53:59 pm »
Yes, that is a very lucid thought out point. There is no question that the shot clock is killing basketball, none. Since the NBA first started using it in 1954 it has started a slow painful march towards death. The NCAA started it in 1984 and last time I checked college basketball was in hospice care. Imagine if the NBA never had a shot clock? Maybe itís popularity could have spread to other countries? Can you imagine kids in China wearing NBA gear? Think of the possibilities if the NCAA never implemented one? Maybe they could come up with some sort of popular post season tournament where like 68 teams battled for the title. They could have come up with some clever slogan for said tournament like ď March NuttiestĒ. Imagine the possibilities if only.

Curse you shot clock, curse you. Youíre killing basketball. At this rate there will be none in 200 or so years.

If I posted that implementing a shot clock was a bad idea because it would allow the Illuminati to mobilize the shape shifting aliens to take over mankind and finally allow Elvis to return and take his seat at the throne. If I had posted that it wouldnít be the dumbest argument against a shot clock. On this thread.

Congrats you earn idiotic post of the Day!!!

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2020, 07:16:48 pm »
Congrats you earn idiotic post of the Day!!!

Even more so than the shot clock will kill basketball? Really? Thatís the story you wanna go with?

Letís cut through the nonsense, ok? A shot clock favors athletic teams. Itís a better faster form of basketball. We all know the code words. There are some who oppose the shot clock because it gives an advantage to the ďathleticĒ teams and may hurt the ďruralĒ teams, wink wink.

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2020, 08:33:17 pm »
Even more so than the shot clock will kill basketball? Really? Thatís the story you wanna go with?

Letís cut through the nonsense, ok? A shot clock favors athletic teams. Itís a better faster form of basketball. We all know the code words. There are some who oppose the shot clock because it gives an advantage to the ďathleticĒ teams and may hurt the ďruralĒ teams, wink wink.
Ill chime in with this point!! TheĒathleticĒ teams I saw this week at Russellville for the 5A were some of the most poorly coached teams Iíve ever witnessed in handling end of quarter end of half end of game situations!! Those issues seemed to be way over their respective coaches heads!! Jacksonville and their elite D1 player blew leads of 21 and 15 in the fourth quarter on consecutive nights only to hang on! It was sad and actually upsetting to watch!! So now letís add a shot clock to exacerbate a growing problem of eroding basketball IQ!! And the Jville situation was one of many situations!! Also went to Lake Hamilton for the 1A one night and saw teams executing in most cases and most scenarios played out to a teams advantage! Well coached teams every game! Never heard it described as ďathletic versus ruralĒ before!! Shot clock will not put a better product on the floor as entertaining is in the eye of the beholder!!

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2020, 08:37:43 pm »
Zone defense is a lot of what's wrong with high school basketball
You will see even more zone with the shot clock than before!! Soft press eat up 7-8 seconds before even getting it into the front court and a couple more to set your offense 10 more to move the ball to the correct spots! More bad 24-25 footers than ever before is my prediction!!

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2020, 09:08:56 pm »
Ill chime in with this point!! TheĒathleticĒ teams I saw this week at Russellville for the 5A were some of the most poorly coached teams Iíve ever witnessed in handling end of quarter end of half end of game situations!! Those issues seemed to be way over their respective coaches heads!! Jacksonville and their elite D1 player blew leads of 21 and 15 in the fourth quarter on consecutive nights only to hang on! It was sad and actually upsetting to watch!! So now letís add a shot clock to exacerbate a growing problem of eroding basketball IQ!! And the Jville situation was one of many situations!! Also went to Lake Hamilton for the 1A one night and saw teams executing in most cases and most scenarios played out to a teams advantage! Well coached teams every game! Never heard it described as ďathletic versus ruralĒ before!! Shot clock will not put a better product on the floor as entertaining is in the eye of the beholder!!

I guess Iíll just have to finally accept the fact that the players/coaches in California and New York are simply better than us. They mandate it and there is no debate that they produce the best high school basketball in America. Itís not just the big boys, even the small private schools play at a high level. Iíll simply have to learn to live in the knowledge that our people are too poor to buy shot clocks, too stupid to work them and our kids canít possibly handle the rigors of being forced to get the ball up court and play. Itís a crying shame.

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2020, 09:55:38 pm »
I guess Iíll just have to finally accept the fact that the players/coaches in California and New York are simply better than us. They mandate it and there is no debate that they produce the best high school basketball in America. Itís not just the big boys, even the small private schools play at a high level. Iíll simply have to learn to live in the knowledge that our people are too poor to buy shot clocks, too stupid to work them and our kids canít possibly handle the rigors of being forced to get the ball up court and play. Itís a crying shame.
Where did anyone say any of this outright?? There are still a few basketball purists out there that would like to see the elevation of basketball IQ not the lowering of it! I believe it was Coach Cal that said recently he was sick and tired of having to teach his players shot selection and clock/game management! Went further to say that high school players arenít equipped on a knowledge level to walk in and play in college!! I like Coach Cal

Online Rayburn

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2020, 09:09:45 am »

He makes an absurd post responding to things nobody said. I respond with an absurd post to things nobody said to highlight that point. He responds again like it's a serious post - showing the lack of both self awareness to see his own absurdity, and comprehension of sarcasm.
I think we now clearly see the debate capabilities in play here. No further responses needed.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:11:56 am by Rayburn »

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2020, 10:42:12 am »
He makes an absurd post responding to things nobody said. I respond with an absurd post to things nobody said to highlight that point. He responds again like it's a serious post - showing the lack of both self awareness to see his own absurdity, and comprehension of sarcasm.
I think we now clearly see the debate capabilities in play here. No further responses needed.  :-\

No further responses needed? Wow, Rayburn hath spoken! Is it hard lugging that massive ego around?

Iím sorry to burst your bubble but longing for the good old days does not make one a basketball purist. I realize some of you long for the days of the Fort Wayne Pistons defeating the Minneapolis Lakers 19-18 (the game considered catalyst for the modern shot clock) but those days are never coming back. To say implementing a shot clock lowers basketball IQ is moronic, itís beneath moronic, itís sub-moronic. It is literally like saying the old power T football offenses of the 50ís require more football IQ than running the offenses of today. The kids playing at PA have 5xís the football acumen of the professional players in the 50ís. Itís called evolution! Google it, itís a real thing. Take two people, give them both a Rubix Cube. The first person solves it in one minute, the other in 5. Who has the higher Rubix Cube IQ? Iíll give you a minute to think about it.

The shot clock is coming to Arkansas, thank God. Our kids will get better, the game will get better and basketball IQ will skyrocket. A shot clock is like getting a hi-def tv but I do acknowledge some will long for the old black and white one with rabbit ear antennas.

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2020, 11:25:07 am »
No further responses needed? Wow, Rayburn hath spoken! Is it hard lugging that massive ego around?

Iím sorry to burst your bubble but longing for the good old days does not make one a basketball purist. I realize some of you long for the days of the Fort Wayne Pistons defeating the Minneapolis Lakers 19-18 (the game considered catalyst for the modern shot clock) but those days are never coming back. To say implementing a shot clock lowers basketball IQ is moronic, itís beneath moronic, itís sub-moronic. It is literally like saying the old power T football offenses of the 50ís require more football IQ than running the offenses of today. The kids playing at PA have 5xís the football acumen of the professional players in the 50ís. Itís called evolution! Google it, itís a real thing. Take two people, give them both a Rubix Cube. The first person solves it in one minute, the other in 5. Who has the higher Rubix Cube IQ? Iíll give you a minute to think about it.

The shot clock is coming to Arkansas, thank God. Our kids will get better, the game will get better and basketball IQ will skyrocket. A shot clock is like getting a hi-def tv but I do acknowledge some will long for the old black and white one with rabbit ear antennas.
I trust you did not make it up to Russellville last week and watch that special brand of basketball played there! Iím not for slowing the game per se! The game has evolved no doubt and for the better! But any mandates that require one style of play does not guarantee the game will automatically get better as you claim! Ask any ď moronicĒ college coach about basketball IQ and listen to what they say!! The really good coaches will find ways around it or to work with it but tragically there sure werenít many at the 5A last week! I trust the same at Bryant!! I watched a D1 player blow 4-5 straight possessions up 10 with under 2 minutes to play versus Marion in the semi finals! You could tell his nature and upbringing as a player had not one shred of game management about it at all! His response to pressure situations was the same down the stretch as it was in the first minute! And that is just one example!! SO how will a mandated rule change fix that obvious trend?? Answeró- It wonít! Weíll just all become numb to it and a new bar will be set for said basketball IQ! You m not sure about your age but Iíve been around a loooong time and game knowledge of whatís right and true really hasnít changed that much but I fear itís going to!! Google the last four minutes of Jville- GCT and the last minute of Jville- Marion and my point will be better taken!! It was sad yet laughable at the same time!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:26:49 am by SackAttack »

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2020, 11:48:36 am »
I trust you did not make it up to Russellville last week and watch that special brand of basketball played there! Iím not for slowing the game per se! The game has evolved no doubt and for the better! But any mandates that require one style of play does not guarantee the game will automatically get better as you claim! Ask any ď moronicĒ college coach about basketball IQ and listen to what they say!! The really good coaches will find ways around it or to work with it but tragically there sure werenít many at the 5A last week! I trust the same at Bryant!! I watched a D1 player blow 4-5 straight possessions up 10 with under 2 minutes to play versus Marion in the semi finals! You could tell his nature and upbringing as a player had not one shred of game management about it at all! His response to pressure situations was the same down the stretch as it was in the first minute! And that is just one example!! SO how will a mandated rule change fix that obvious trend?? Answeró- It wonít! Weíll just all become numb to it and a new bar will be set for said basketball IQ! You m not sure about your age but Iíve been around a loooong time and game knowledge of whatís right and true really hasnít changed that much but I fear itís going to!! Google the last four minutes of Jville- GCT and the last minute of Jville- Marion and my point will be better taken!! It was sad yet laughable at the same time!!

Yeah, good thing you base rule changes over what one player does, I couldnít dunk in high school because Lew Alcindor was playing at UCLA, they changed after I was in college. It sure seems to me that these ďbadĒ coaches in 5A are looking forward to it coming to their classification, too. I look forward to you calling a few of them out in person. Poor coaching is poor coaching, whether there is a clock, or not.

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2020, 11:55:31 am »
Yeah, good thing you base rule changes over what one player does, I couldnít dunk in high school because Lew Alcindor was playing at UCLA, they changed after I was in college. It sure seems to me that these ďbadĒ coaches in 5A are looking forward to it coming to their classification, too. I look forward to you calling a few of them out in person. Poor coaching is poor coaching, whether there is a clock, or not.

+1

Online Rayburn

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2020, 12:21:48 pm »

https://imgflip.com/i/1f3tbu
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 12:24:55 pm by Rayburn »

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2020, 01:01:37 pm »
Just start them in 3rd grade with a 10 sec shot clock , dribble down as fast as you can , don't worry about passing because that's not what the crowd wants to see...do one dribble behind the back because dad told you to....pull up about 25' and miss by 10 ft... ...then it's the next teams chance...or drive all the way to the hole and throw it up and it hits off the backboard 20 mph and hope the ref bails you out with a foul...scoot back to the 3pt line and shoot the free throws because your parents want to impress the NBA scout that has come all the way just to watch a little baller!!! 

All because we must entertain and in the name of progress!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:09:11 pm by NEA Razorback olfan »

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2020, 01:03:33 pm »
I didnít say they were bad coaches I said they had some poorly coached teams IMO!! All in the eye of the  beholder!! We live in an opinion based society friend! I got over it a long time ago and you should as well!! But when Calipari Izzo Self Muss K and others are in total agreement I tend to listen!! The average fan like yourself has preferences I tend to listen and base mine off knowledge!!

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2020, 01:05:16 pm »
Just start them in 3rd grade with a 10 sec shot clock , dribble down as fast as you can , don't worry about passing because that's not what the crowd wants to see....pull up about 25' and miss by 10 ft ...then it's the next teams chance...or drive all the way to the hole and throw it up and it hits off the backboard 20 mph and hope the ref bails you out with a foul...scoot back to the 3pt line and shoot the free throws because your parents want to impress the NBA scout that has come all the way just to watch a little baller!!!
Sounds like you watched Jville Hot Springs Parkview etc play last week!!

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2020, 01:06:42 pm »
Tell ya what Rayburn. Rather then argue back and forth why donít you just sit down, take a deep breath and accept that the shot clock will be here next season. Itís not a debate itís a fact. You can rant, rave and shake your fist at the sky all you want. It wonít change a thing.

Sit back, prop yer feetís up and crack open a cold Billy Beer. We gettin ready to play some fancy new fangled big city ball round these parts. Most of us couldnít be happier.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 01:10:59 pm »
Sounds like you watched Jville Hot Springs Parkview etc play last week!!

+1

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2020, 01:11:14 pm »
I didnít say they were bad coaches I said they had some poorly coached teams IMO!! All in the eye of the  beholder!! We live in an opinion based society friend! I got over it a long time ago and you should as well!! But when Calipari Izzo Self Muss K and others are in total agreement I tend to listen!! The average fan like yourself has preferences I tend to listen and base mine off knowledge!!

Poorly coached teams, exactly who is responsible for those? So, youíre telling me that everyone of those coaches have stated they are completely against a shot clock? With the pull they have, itís hard to believe they havenít eliminated it, lol. So, what exactly makes you above an average fan, one who doesnít like the shot clock? Get over yourself, youíre no more of a knowledgeable fan than the next guy, you just like to be able to keep up with the action, lol.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2020, 01:15:12 pm »
Poorly coached teams, exactly who is responsible for those? So, youíre telling me that everyone of those coaches have stated they are completely against a shot clock? With the pull they have, itís hard to believe they havenít eliminated it, lol. So, what exactly makes you above an average fan, one who doesnít like the shot clock? Get over yourself, youíre no more of a knowledgeable fan than the next guy, you just like to be able to keep up with the action, lol.

Probably none coached teams, hey just go press and do your thing.....I'll sub when needed
And draw a nice paycheck!!

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2020, 01:37:00 pm »
We definitely need a shot clock!!
Seriously my 4th grader needs to get paid, and a
Shoe contract , dad needs a new BMW !!!
How can he do that without a shot clock, do you expect him to play defense more than 20 sec...he is going to be too tired to pull up and drain those 16 treys , I mean who wants to run and actual offense , just get him the ball, and watch him go....Jordan has nothing on him...he is a star....
Autographs after the game...only $20
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:39:10 pm by NEA Razorback olfan »

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2020, 01:42:15 pm »
Just start them in 3rd grade with a 10 sec shot clock , dribble down as fast as you can , don't worry about passing because that's not what the crowd wants to see...do one dribble behind the back because dad told you to....pull up about 25' and miss by 10 ft... ...then it's the next teams chance...or drive all the way to the hole and throw it up and it hits off the backboard 20 mph and hope the ref bails you out with a foul...scoot back to the 3pt line and shoot the free throws because your parents want to impress the NBA scout that has come all the way just to watch a little baller!!! 

All because we must entertain and in the name of progress!!

Iíll see your ridiculous-no one suggested anything remotely near that-absurd scenario and raise you one. Letís abolish all shot clocks and while weíre at it do away with 8 second back court and  5 second defensive engage rule. I can easily see Brookland ball sweeping the nation. Get up 2 points, grab a rebound and have the other 4 players form a protective cocoon around you. Just bend over and squeeze the ball. The headlines would be epic ďBrookland wins itís 3rd state title with a dominating 4-0 victoryĒ the coach could praise the way his players formed a perfect rugby scrum around the ball and were able to hold possession for over 30 minutes.

Before you accuse anyone of idiotic post you may want to check yourself. Google ďGlass HousesĒ.

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2020, 01:44:47 pm »
We definitely need a shot clock!!
Seriously my 4th grader needs to get paid, and a
Shoe contract , dad needs a new BMW !!!
How can he do that without a shot clock, do you expect him to play defense more than 20 sec...he is going to be too tired to pull up and drain those 16 treys , I mean who wants to run and actual offense , just get him the ball, and watch him go....Jordan has nothing on him...he is a star....
Autographs after the game...only $20

Someone is melting down. I do get it, a shot clock is doom for Brookland ball.

GET HELP BUDDY.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2020, 02:08:29 pm »
Someone is melting down. I do get it, a shot clock is doom for Brookland ball.

GET HELP BUDDY.

I'm so heartbroken you didn't like my post...ehhh not really !!!

Offline ricepig

• Legend

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2020, 02:42:01 pm »
Jessie P , Buddy
You seem like an Intelligent gentleman,
And I suppose you like facts.
So here they are
Your Batesville boy's team and coach who likes to push the ball somewhat and runs a little faster offense was sitting at home on the Sofa while The Brookland Bearcats coaches where playing in the State Semifinals.
Took the Magnolia Panthers into two overtimes...
You may not like our team or style of play, but it works.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:45:12 pm by NEA Razorback olfan »

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2020, 03:53:09 pm »
Yeah, too bad these college coaches had no problem with it, lol.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwic9OLW05DoAhVMPK0KHXAtBgQQFjAAegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Fmens-college-basketball%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F12992986%2Fmen-basketball-coaches-nonplussed-shorter-shot-clock&usg=AOvVaw09_Xq0UPa_oW_1epV0Y2sb

Whoever posted that Cal was opposed to a shot clock was flat out lying. That other list of coaches was bs as well. The kicker was when they said Cal didnít think high school players were ready for college. Really? Coach ďone and doneĒ said that? You want to put your hand on the Bible and swear that was a truthful statement? Coach Cal, who over the past 7 years has started more freshman than any other D1 coach said they werenít ready? Thatís the story your going with?

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2020, 03:57:41 pm »
Jessie P , Buddy
You seem like an Intelligent gentleman,
And I suppose you like facts.
So here they are
Your Batesville boy's team and coach who likes to push the ball somewhat and runs a little faster offense was sitting at home on the Sofa while The Brookland Bearcats coaches where playing in the State Semifinals.
Took the Magnolia Panthers into two overtimes...
You may not like our team or style of play, but it works.

Hereís a fact. It works to a point. There is a very definite ceiling with that style. When faced with an athletic team (Magnolia, Westside) they wilt. I do wish you luck next year with the stall ball because the clock is coming. Bummer.

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2020, 04:41:33 pm »
Oh but I really am much more than you average fans there Scooter!!

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2020, 04:50:30 pm »
Whoever posted that Cal was opposed to a shot clock was flat out lying. That other list of coaches was bs as well. The kicker was when they said Cal didnít think high school players were ready for college. Really? Coach ďone and doneĒ said that? You want to put your hand on the Bible and swear that was a truthful statement? Coach Cal, who over the past 7 years has started more freshman than any other D1 coach said they werenít ready? Thatís the story your going with?
No one said ever at any time any of those college coaches were against the shot clock! I pointed out they lament the fact that those one and dumbs ( intentional)come to them with low basketball IQís because of the way they are allowed to play in high school!! I merely pointed out this will only exacerbate an already existing problem! The implementation of a shot clock will do nothing to make kids smarter players! But as you said itís here and we shall see!

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2020, 07:18:55 pm »
Oh but I really am much more than you average fans there Scooter!!

Please enlighten us, and when they go to name calling, theyíre done.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2020, 07:24:14 pm »
If you count yourself among the people who believe basketball has been improving in the last 15-20 years, how do you explain the gross decline in fundamentals?  Skills such as dribbling are gone because we dare not inconvenience the current players to actually dribble the ball as per the rules.  Crossover?  Change of direction?  Sorry, but the overwhelming majority of today's players cannot do that without committing a violation.  Pass the ball??? With both hands?  It's an extinct skill.  Today's player would rather be cool and throw the one hand pass.  Oh, it sailed out of bounds (again)?  But it looked so good doing it.....

The shot clock will only speed this decay process along. 
It is bad for basketball at the high school level because fundamentals need to be mastered - and the last 15-20 years show how the fundamentals have been neglected.
Leave the shot clock for the next (upper) levels.   

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2020, 07:29:55 pm »
If you count yourself among the people who believe basketball has been improving in the last 15-20 years, how do you explain the gross decline in fundamentals?  Skills such as dribbling are gone because we dare not inconvenience the current players to actually dribble the ball as per the rules.  Crossover?  Change of direction?  Sorry, but the overwhelming majority of today's players cannot do that without committing a violation.  Pass the ball??? With both hands?  It's an extinct skill.  Today's player would rather be cool and throw the one hand pass.  Oh, it sailed out of bounds (again)?  But it looked so good doing it.....

The shot clock will only speed this decay process along. 
It is bad for basketball at the high school level because fundamentals need to be mastered - and the last 15-20 years show how the fundamentals have been neglected.
Leave the shot clock for the next (upper) levels.   

It will be in 4A and above, within 2 years, probably for sure 6A and 5A next season. Thatís according to one of the leading high school coaches, anyway. As to fundamentals, these kids can do more with the ball than they could in Hoosiers, lol. Now, I donít care for the NBA game, because they donít play defense until the playoffs, or last minute in a big regular season game. The college game is fine, and the high school game will be too.

Offline Missco

• Assistant Coach
  • To be the Man you gotta beat the Man
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2020, 08:25:00 pm »
I can easily see it in 3A and above. Look at the teams in the state finals. I see no teams except maybe 1 out of 12 boys teams that would remotely be against the shot clock. Looking at the 24 teams that made the semi-finals. I see maybe 4 at the most and that is probably stretching it. Like it or not basketball has changed.

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2020, 09:48:30 pm »
I can easily see it in 3A and above. Look at the teams in the state finals. I see no teams except maybe 1 out of 12 boys teams that would remotely be against the shot clock. Looking at the 24 teams that made the semi-finals. I see maybe 4 at the most and that is probably stretching it. Like it or not basketball has changed.

+1. Thatís my point, thatís my whole ever loving point. Adapt or die. I realize I am quite obnoxious/sarcastic/imbecilic, I get it. But a lot of these post are the same generational arguments that have gone on forever. My dad used to watch me play football and say ďboy, back in my day, that was real footballĒ I have said to my son ď you guys are ok but back in my day, that was real footballĒ. Guess what one day my son will say to his kid? Basketball today is not basketball of 20 years ago. Trying to hold on to the past prevents the future.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2020, 07:59:56 pm »
+1. Thatís my point, thatís my whole ever loving point. Adapt or die. I realize I am quite obnoxious/sarcastic/imbecilic, I get it. But a lot of these post are the same generational arguments that have gone on forever. My dad used to watch me play football and say ďboy, back in my day, that was real footballĒ I have said to my son ď you guys are ok but back in my day, that was real footballĒ. Guess what one day my son will say to his kid? Basketball today is not basketball of 20 years ago. Trying to hold on to the past prevents the future.

I say we take a stand against idiots like you that want to destroy the game we love , your ignorance is only surpassed by your ego...you think you know what's best for everyone , but really you just want things your way.

This could be sarcasm , or not,  but I love watching the progression of youth ball players from middle school to high school, When I coached middle school and AAU ....fundimantals was the difference , or lack of fundamentals I should say...love to see our young talent improve every year and get offers to compete at the next level. Amazing that basic fundamentals are taught the same at every middle school Dribbling , passing , shooting , defense on the ball , defense off the ball
Could every coach adapt to a 35sec shot clock? I guess you could adapt to anything , 10sec shot clock ....15ft goals, 30ft 5pt line .....anything is possible
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:36:26 pm by NEA Razorback olfan »

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2020, 08:29:33 pm »
I say we take a stand against idiots like you that want to destroy the game we love , your ignorance is only surpassed by your ego...you think you know what's best for everyone , but really you just want things your way.

Has the slow brain dead pace of stall ball damaged what few brain cells you have remaining after years of huffing paint? Take a stand against me? Oh my God, it just occurred to me, you think I instituted the shot clock. Iím ruining your beloved game? I assure you, I donít have 1/100th the power you think I do. Take a stand against me? Yes please, rally your troops, I must be defeated. I want things my way? Do you honestly think I would ever watch 15 seconds of your beloved stall ball? If I was that hard up for entertainment Iíd slap some paint on the wall and watch it dry. Now if youíll excuse me I have the NFL owners on the other line, they are bouncing some ideas off me. What color is the sun on your planet?

I beg you to get some help. They are doing wonderful things with pharmaceuticals these days.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2020, 08:52:25 pm »
Do you take everything on here seriously buddy?

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2020, 09:21:38 pm »
Do you take everything on here seriously buddy?

Donít push me. Iíll call the AAA and drop the shot clock down to 15 seconds. Maybe Iíll increase the circumference of the ball while shrinking the width of the hoops, all for my personal amusement. Thatís what those of us with incredible power do. After you called me an idiot I was so irritated I called Adam Silver and poof! NBA season suspended.

I want things how I want things.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2020, 09:33:07 pm »
All right everyone,  let's get the discussion back on subject please...

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2020, 10:29:49 am »
Ok, fair enough. Letís calmly look at some of the points being made here.

1. Basic fundamentals have declined in youth basketball over the past 20 years.
There hasnít been a shot clock in the past 20 years. To draw a line from shot clock to declining fundamentals is the epitome of a specious rationale. In fact one could argue that improved fundamentals could result from a shot clock. You have less time to screw around, gut up the court and play.

2. Some teams wonít be able to properly run their offense.
In 35 seconds? Good Lord, how long do they need? If you canít get into your offense in 35 seconds the shot clock is not your problem, coaching is.

3. It damages the purity of the game.
In whoís opinion? There are some out there that think the overhand free throw hurts the purity of the game. There were many who howled at the moon that the 3 point shot ruined the purity of the game. The game, like all sports, is changing. Seen any good drop kicks in football lately?

Bottom line is itís coming. A quick Google search shows that the overwhelming number of basketball fans want it. In high school football you have only so many seconds to get to the line and snap the ball. In high school baseball the umpire will only give the pitcher so long to pitch the ball. Why do we feel the need to coddle basketball players? Their not porcelain dolls, their not stupid. Theyíll figure it out.

Offline Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2020, 11:19:15 am »
Wow this is a hot topic, and always a fun read when Jessie and NEA are involved. I donít understand what the issue is w a shot clock. Granted, I havenít seen Brookland play. But Iíve watched a lot of games. Most teams are getting shots off under 35 seconds anyway. Even in the 7 tournament games I saw with the shot clock, there was rarely a violation. 35 seconds is a long time. I donít think itís going to change the game that much, if at all. Unless there are more teams playing Brooklandís style than Iím aware of

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2020, 11:54:14 am »
Wow this is a hot topic, and always a fun read when Jessie and NEA are involved. I donít understand what the issue is w a shot clock. Granted, I havenít seen Brookland play. But Iíve watched a lot of games. Most teams are getting shots off under 35 seconds anyway. Even in the 7 tournament games I saw with the shot clock, there was rarely a violation. 35 seconds is a long time. I donít think itís going to change the game that much, if at all. Unless there are more teams playing Brooklandís style than Iím aware of

Another great point. A shot clock would probably only force scout 10 teams, in the entire state, to change their style of play. Itís not curing cancer, it can be overcome.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2020, 01:23:00 pm »

We are just having fun, see we have what is called a strategy,
This concept is way over the head of JP.
I will put it like this , in the military if you have 4 tanks and the enemy has 10.
...Jp believes you should charge right in guns blazing .....and get all his tanks wiped out ...on the other hand if you can force the enemy into a small kill zone and attack the flanks you have a lot better chance to survive or at least do maximum damage. With a deliberate offense that is patient you can make the defense work and make decisions , on cuts and screens , backdoors.....so basically you read the defense and when it breaks down you attack.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:36:40 pm by NEA Razorback olfan »

Offline JessieP

• All Star
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2020, 02:32:29 pm »
We are just having fun, see we have what is called a strategy,
This concept is way over the head of JP.
I will put it like this , in the military if you have 4 tanks and the enemy has 10.
...Jp believes you should charge right in guns blazing .....and get all his tanks wiped out ...on the other hand if you can force the enemy into a small kill zone and attack the flanks you have a lot better chance to survive or at least do maximum damage. With a deliberate offense that is patient you can make the defense work and make decisions , on cuts and screens , backdoors.....so basically you read the defense and when it breaks down you attack.

Thank you for finally admitting it, Iím sure it wasnít easy. To lay out a precise basketball strategy and than admit to all ďmy team couldnít possibly do that in 35 secondsĒ takes guts. Unfortunately most good teams can.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2020, 03:30:55 pm »
Thank you for finally admitting it, Iím sure it wasnít easy. To lay out a precise basketball strategy and than admit to all ďmy team couldnít possibly do that in 35 secondsĒ takes guts. Unfortunately most good teams can.

Do You believe that we are the only team that runs their offense this way?
Since you claim to know everything about our team , how many games have you seen us play this year ?
What would you say is our average time of possession?

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2020, 03:44:25 pm »
Do You believe that we are the only team that runs their offense this way?
Since you claim to know everything about our team , how many games have you seen us play this year ?
What would you say is our average time of possession?

A quarter?

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center