Author Topic: Shot Clock in 6A for 2020-21 Season  (Read 4321 times)

Offline B.G.

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
Shot Clock in 6A for 2020-21 Season
« on: March 05, 2020, 04:46:13 pm »
6A athletic directors approved the shot clock for the 2020-21 season for all 6A schools.  The 35 sec clock will be installed at all home gyms for 6A .  Games played at 6A schools in and out of out of conference play will play with the clock.

State tournament included.

Offline sportsguy80

• 2nd String
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: Shot Clock in 6A for 2020-21 Season
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 06:40:37 pm »
Just saw this which is past due imo. Wish all classifications would go to it but some are saying it would cost the smaller schools a lot.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 07:08:07 pm »
Yeeeessss. I have wanted somewhere between 35-45 seconds at the high school level for a long time.

Offline Jwolf12

• Bench Warmer
  • Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:30:39 pm »
Very excited about this! I can see them eventually working it down to each classification. It will take some time to get these in all gyms, but it is a big win for high school basketball in Arkansas

Offline Rocket23

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 08:56:52 pm »
I am for it, but I think it will be chaos with getting competent operators.

Offline ABô

• America's Team
  • Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 10:03:04 pm »
Just saw this which is past due imo. Wish all classifications would go to it but some are saying it would cost the smaller schools a lot.
What percentage of ADs have to vote "yes" for this to get approved at each classification?  If there's enough ADs in the smaller classifications who know they can't afford shot clocks, then it may take a long time to pass unless they can get some sort of state funding for it.

Offline sportsguy80

• 2nd String
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:10:13 pm »
What percentage of ADs have to vote "yes" for this to get approved at each classification?  If there's enough ADs in the smaller classifications who know they can't afford shot clocks, then it may take a long time to pass unless they can get some sort of state funding for it.
Good question. I believe all classifications will eventually go with it. This process will definitely be interesting.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 10:49:01 am »
Yeeeessss. I have wanted somewhere between 35-45 seconds at the high school level for a long time.

I'm on the opposite side and I'll state it again the shot clock has no business in high school basketball.  Play better defense.

Now having said that, I want to see/hear/read/discuss more about how this is going to be implemented.  The cost to install shot clocks, the extra man now needed at the scorers table, etc.   Anyone have any insights on that? 

Offline blueandwhite

• Bench Warmer
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 11:05:05 am »
I don't like this.
1. Another compentent person is needed at the score table.
2. PLAY DEFENSE
3. Is it really worth the it? How many possessions get to 35 seconds?

Offline Missco

• Assistant Coach
  • To be the Man you gotta beat the Man
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 01:19:09 pm »
I think if 5A voted today then it would likely pass. I think it's coming nationwide. The main people that I see complaining about it are officials.

Offline ricepig

• Legend

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 03:43:40 pm »
Play defense? Doesnít a shot clock mean you have to play defense  ??? i mean for 35 seconds anyway not including offensive rebounds. An argument could be made for teams to actually play offense and not hold the ball. A shot clock will make teams play both offense and defense. With a shot clock will it be an official running it? With the shortage of officials already can we stretch our officials thinner already? How many officials will drop classifications to not deal with it. Itíll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 04:36:42 pm »
I will stick with my sources.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 12:05:38 am »
Play defense? Doesnít a shot clock mean you have to play defense  ??? i mean for 35 seconds anyway not including offensive rebounds. An argument could be made for teams to actually play offense and not hold the ball. A shot clock will make teams play both offense and defense. With a shot clock will it be an official running it? With the shortage of officials already can we stretch our officials thinner already? How many officials will drop classifications to not deal with it. Itíll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I think it's more of get out of your sagging zone, play some man to man, and force the offense to make plays. I've seen stalls blow more games than I've seen win WHEN the defense forces them ro make passes and dribble out of traps etc...

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 10:20:59 am »
I am for it, but I think it will be chaos with getting competent operators.

Is it really that hard to press a button when you see the ball hit the rim?

Or a turnover/change of possession. Why are so mant people acting like this will be complicated when in reality its one of the most simple tasks you can ask someone at the game to do.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 11:35:16 am »
Is it really that hard to press a button when you see the ball hit the rim?

Or a turnover/change of possession. Why are so mant people acting like this will be complicated when in reality its one of the most simple tasks you can ask someone at the game to do.

However, and to get back to my point earlier, let's run through the mechanics of this at the table.

Who is going to run the shot clock? 

The person doing the book CANNOT run the shot clock.  The book (and the game clock) are the two most important functions of the table. 
The person running the GAME clock CANNOT run the shot clock.
The two people doing these functions at the table have enough on their hands already. 

A good number of schools (but not all) have a big board (players in the game, points and fouls for each player).  While not required, that information is critical to coaches in making sure they have a (correct) source of the number of fouls on ALL their players currently in the game.  I know in our corner of the world, our game clock is NOT used to post the player number who just committed a foul AND his/her number of fouls.  That info is on the big board so why post it twice?  And, with the game clock operator NOT having to post that limited information, s/he is free to help keep the info flowing the person doing the book.

So now you see many schools with 3 person tables at present IF that school has two boards (a game clock and a big board - players in game, the players in the game  individual points and fouls counts). 

So now you have the cost of purchasing and installing the shot clock (admittedly one time costs) AND the cost of bringing an extra person on/at the table.

In some cases, current tables do not have sufficient room for another person - another (one time) cost for a table modification.

And now, you have a fourth person to pay for their services.

I hate the idea of a shot clock and I am noting that again in the interest of full disclosure of potential bias BUT putting that aside, are schools truly ready for all the extra costs they are about to incur here? 

And this is to say nothing on (or about) the potential disruption to games over resetting (or not resetting) the shot clock? 

The game of basketball does NOT need another source of game stoppage....

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 12:14:44 pm »
Seven, does your school have a PA guy thats just kinda there? Seems they don't bring much to the table on the way book guy and clock guy do....Maybe have them do it?

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 12:43:31 pm »
Way past time for high school basketball, anybody thinking that ďplaying defenseĒ will go out the window, is totally missing the point. It actually requires you to play defense, instead of sitting in a zone while the offense passes it around. If the extra cost of $100/night is what keeps your athletic department afloat, then maybe youíre spending money on the wrong things.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 01:27:38 pm »
Way past time for high school basketball, anybody thinking that ďplaying defenseĒ will go out the window, is totally missing the point. It actually requires you to play defense, instead of sitting in a zone while the offense passes it around. If the extra cost of $100/night is what keeps your athletic department afloat, then maybe youíre spending money on the wrong things.

Zone defense is a lot of what's wrong with high school basketball

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 01:38:30 pm »
Seven, does your school have a PA guy thats just kinda there? Seems they don't bring much to the table on the way book guy and clock guy do....Maybe have them do it?

In our case, the guy running the big board also does PA.  He does talk a lot......

Let me add a little bit about our table and how it works.  All three at the table work together to get the information down (on the book) and on the boards (game clock, score, big boards, etc).  We're always confirming who scored and whether it was a 2 or a 3, who fouled, who is headed to the line (and for how many shots), etc.  It takes all three to keep this effort functioning AND keep the amount of info that ends up on the book. 

When a game gets really moving, the guy on the book may go for several seconds and NOT be able to pick their head up (they are writing so much, so quickly) and the people on either side of the bookkeeper are constantly feeding the bookkeeper a running commentary on what happened.  Invariably, people are going to pass in front of the table during the game so one of us might be blocked from seeing what just happened.  It truly takes three to make a table work well and keep accurate info flowing IF you have a game clock (score, time, team fouls, etc) operator, bookkeeper, and big board (individual player points, fouls, etc). 

I don't think fans or coaches would like to see big board info go away (or become less trustworthy) so the shot clock is an additional task to deal with and one that I think will require another person at the table IF all of the above functions continue as is.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2020, 01:49:27 pm »
In our case, the guy running the big board also does PA.  He does talk a lot......

Let me add a little bit about our table and how it works.  All three at the table work together to get the information down (on the book) and on the boards (game clock, score, big boards, etc).  We're always confirming who scored and whether it was a 2 or a 3, who fouled, who is headed to the line (and for how many shots), etc.  It takes all three to keep this effort functioning AND keep the amount of info that ends up on the book. 

When a game gets really moving, the guy on the book may go for several seconds and NOT be able to pick their head up (they are writing so much, so quickly) and the people on either side of the bookkeeper are constantly feeding the bookkeeper a running commentary on what happened.  Invariably, people are going to pass in front of the table during the game so one of us might be blocked from seeing what just happened.  It truly takes three to make a table work well and keep accurate info flowing IF you have a game clock (score, time, team fouls, etc) operator, bookkeeper, and big board (individual player points, fouls, etc). 

I don't think fans or coaches would like to see big board info go away (or become less trustworthy) so the shot clock is an additional task to deal with and one that I think will require another person at the table IF all of the above functions continue as is.
However important one may think the big board is, itís not the official book, so any info on it that isnít correct, doesnít effect the outcome, or shouldnít. Yes, Iíve seen coaches call TOís they didnít have, and have players get a 3rd/4th/5th foul because they thought the board said otherwise. Thereís a reason you have the official book. Itís no different than having 2 outs on the scoreboard, when thereís only 1, the umps have the official number of outs.

Offline OB11

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 01:58:40 pm »
However important one may think the big board is, itís not the official book, so any info on it that isnít correct, doesnít effect the outcome, or shouldnít. Yes, Iíve seen coaches call TOís they didnít have, and have players get a 3rd/4th/5th foul because they thought the board said otherwise. Thereís a reason you have the official book. Itís no different than having 2 outs on the scoreboard, when thereís only 1, the umps have the official number of outs.

I would also guess that the majority of coaches have their assistant coach keep up with fouls & TO's so they don't have to look up at the board or ask the official bookkeeper constantly. Seems like a function of that assistant coach role.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 02:22:13 pm »
I would also guess that the majority of coaches have their assistant coach keep up with fouls & TO's so they don't have to look up at the board or ask the official bookkeeper constantly. Seems like a function of that assistant coach role.

Itís either an assistant, or another person associated with the team. Thereís always someone double checking with the official book during TOís, or end of quarters.

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 03:09:26 pm »
I wish Bryantís gym would have turned their shot clock on during the northside/central game....

Offline DerekOxford

• Starter
  • Follow me on Twitter @derekosports
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 03:25:38 pm »
You go to a lot of the high school games in the state and you will see many administrators/teachers/other coaches that are just camped out in the corners of the gym conversing and socializing at games. You mean to tell me that one of those guys/gals couldn't be asked to run the shot clock? Or one person run it for the girls game and another for the boys game?

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2020, 03:46:56 pm »
However important one may think the big board is, itís not the official book, so any info on it that isnít correct, doesnít effect the outcome, or shouldnít.....

I agree with both of you - and I should add that to a good number of team's credit, they will have an assistant coach or manager with a book as well. 

But what was impressed on me was that our administration had heard a lot of feedback over the years about the big board and how much it was appreciated by the fans in the arena to enhance the environment in the arena.  The functionality of the big board does serve as a constant source of checking fouls for teams as well as info for fans.  In other words, prompt and accurate info on the big board enhances the in stadium experience. 

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2020, 04:02:24 pm »
You go to a lot of the high school games in the state and you will see many administrators/teachers/other coaches that are just camped out in the corners of the gym conversing and socializing at games. You mean to tell me that one of those guys/gals couldn't be asked to run the shot clock? Or one person run it for the girls game and another for the boys game?

Those admins (well some of them anyway) are actually required to be there and monitoring the crowd (mainly the student) behavior.
I do acknowledge your point though - there are often many coaches in attendance at varsity games.  I think we also all know that putting a coach on a clock is not optimal because they want to watch the game (it's their labratory for lack of a better way to say it).

There is also the issue to consider of table continuity.  I would not want someone rotating in / out from the table on a somewhat constant basis if one wants the table to function as smooth as possible.  Take the following as it meant in the general - coaches are usually some of the worst table personnel.  They are (after all) coaches first and foremost when inside the confines of the arena. 

Derek, taking your point to an absurd extreme (which I know you do not mean), you could theoretically put staff members in attendance at an event at the table.  What is interesting is how few people are willing to even try a few minutes at the table.  Many people think running the table looks easy to do from afar only to realize that when it is them pushing the button - and they do it wrong - how that can feel.   

Just for the record, I do want to reemphasize this point - I know the table is secondary to the game - but it is a necessary part.  People attend to see the players play.  But we all know that a screw up at the table can effect a game - even the outcome.  No one working a table wants that.  I agree with Ricepig's point about a school should not hesitate to cough up an extra $100 per game night (or whatever the actual dollar amount might be) - but I also know schools that can be as tight with a dollar as Mr. Drysdale.  They will try to take the cheap way out and will only change once something very bad happens in a game. 

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2020, 04:04:54 pm »
One last point for discussion - the fact that AAA has not addressed the mechanics of this change is telling. 

And it tells yet another poor story about AAA.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2020, 04:05:29 pm »
I agree with both of you - and I should add that to a good number of team's credit, they will have an assistant coach or manager with a book as well. 

But what was impressed on me was that our administration had heard a lot of feedback over the years about the big board and how much it was appreciated by the fans in the arena to enhance the environment in the arena.  The functionality of the big board does serve as a constant source of checking fouls for teams as well as info for fans.  In other words, prompt and accurate info on the big board enhances the in stadium experience.

I agree, on the fanís liking it, but it doesnít have to be 100% correct, 100% of the time. Usually one of our assistant football coaches runs the board, and another one runs the clock. They rotate guys in all season, I guess thatís a benefit of having a big staff. Theyíll also use some of the retired coaches who still teach on  those, Iím not sure what they get paid per game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 04:07:16 pm by ricepig »

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 04:09:07 pm »
One last point for discussion - the fact that AAA has not addressed the mechanics of this change is telling. 

And it tells yet another poor story about AAA.

Well, I think it will be voted on in August at the annual meeting. I doubt that the 6A ADís can change AAA rules pertaining to contests, no matter the sport.

Offline NEA Razorback olfan

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2020, 05:58:57 pm »
Sounds Great , let's have the AAA pay for it!!!
They take in all the gates in Post season games!!

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2020, 06:01:30 pm »
Good gosh.  Give credit to the fact things are not just done half hazard.
 The ins and outs have been vetted and procedure already exists.  AR is not inventing the shot clock, they are just adopting it a Class at a time.

Doing it is by CHOICE.  This is a grass roots movement by those invested in it most.  The AAA signed off on experimentation just 2 years ago.  Tournaments have tried it.  Each liked it. 

Some people will obviously disagree on the philosophy of having a shot clock, but reaction to the Tweets this week show the overwhelming positive vibe toward the clock.  On the 2018/19 thread in Killer Crossover, I told you it was coming.

Some can poo poo all over the official verification required by Barney Fife, but walk into 6A gyms that don't already have the clocks and watch them being installed this summer. 

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2020, 07:19:17 pm »
 The ins and outs have been vetted and procedure already exists.  AR is not inventing the shot clock, they are just adopting it a Class at a time.

Doing it is by CHOICE.  This is a grass roots movement by those invested in it most.  The AAA signed off on experimentation just 2 years ago.  Tournaments have tried it.  Each liked it. 

Some people will obviously disagree on the philosophy of having a shot clock, but reaction to the Tweets this week show the overwhelming positive vibe toward the clock.  On the 2018/19 thread in Killer Crossover, I told you it was coming.

Some can poo poo all over the official verification required by Barney Fife, but walk into 6A gyms that don't already have the clocks and watch them being installed this summer.

Why not High schools just form their on AAU league and recruit the fastest players they can buy, 10sec shot clock..... I'm sure that would draw more crowds!!!
Players could earn money and schools could do away with coaches , just have parents run the teams!!
A Win win
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:38:22 pm by NEA Razorback olfan »

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2020, 08:36:08 pm »
Why not High schools just form their on AAU league and recruit the fastest players they can buy, 10sec shot clock..... I'm sure that would draw more crowds!!!
Players could earn money and schools could do away with coaches , just have parents run the teams!!
A Win win

Most people live their life in the many shades of grey... By this post and many others of yours shows you obviously only see life as black and white just like you just made this issue.

This doesn't ruin high school basketball... You just don't like change.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2020, 08:54:40 pm »
Most people live their life in the many shades of grey... By this post and many others of yours shows you obviously only see life as black and white just like you just made this issue.

Ehhh , Don't really care anything about your grey, White, or Black philosophy!!!
My post is what we call sarcasm boys and girls.
Glad you know what most people think, I guess you have talked and interviewed over half the world's population, you are truly special!!

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2020, 09:14:44 pm »
I think the sarcasm was obvious, but lacked quality.

Offline Missco

• Assistant Coach
  • To be the Man you gotta beat the Man
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2020, 09:42:47 pm »
This conversation is going on all across the country. Many states are talking about implementing the shot clock. It is a good thing.  Most are for it but the minority will yell the loudest.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:10:19 pm by Missco »

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2020, 10:04:43 pm »
I think the sarcasm was obvious, but lacked quality.

So quality sarcasm, hummm ...What an idea
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:07:01 pm by NEA Razorback olfan »

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2020, 10:29:07 pm »
This conversation is going on all across the country. Many states are talking about implementing the shot clock. It is a good thing.  Most are for it but the minority will yell the loudest.

This will not affect teams with athletes that full court press and push the ball hard up the floor.
Just the smaller schools not as athletic that works the ball around and forces the other team to play defense for more than 15-20 seconds.
I personally like to push the ball. Get turnovers and buckets!!! Probably see a lot more blowouts which everyone loves to watch!!
People can leave by halftime and head home!!!

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 07:12:22 am »
This will not affect teams with athletes that full court press and push the ball hard up the floor.
Just the smaller schools not as athletic that works the ball around and forces the other team to play defense for more than 15-20 seconds.
I personally like to push the ball. Get turnovers and buckets!!! Probably see a lot more blowouts which everyone loves to watch!!
People can leave by halftime and head home!!!

I canít believe that the different concession stand sponsoring groups havenít formed a coalition, this will cause a 4th quarter running clock and extremely hurt sales. Band members unite!

Offline JessieP

• All Star
  • Take down the scoreboards.
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 08:33:35 am »

Thank you for saying that. Iíve been reading these posts in total disbelief. People here are acting like weíre asking someone to split atoms at the games, itís a shot clock. I have every confidence that every high school in the great state of Arkansas can find someone with the physical dexterity to push a button and the mental acumen to know when. I was at a football game this past season and watched in total awe how the school had assembled enough volunteers to work the snack bar. The jaw dropping moment came when I witnessed with my own eyes a man know when and how to flip the hamburgers, very impressive.

Arkansas has produced Drís, Lawyers, Scientists, Titans of business, professional athletes, stars of music and motion pictures and even a President. I have no doubt we can figure out a shot clock.

Itís a shot clock people, a shot clock. Weíre not asking the robotics team to disprove the law of thermal dynamics and build a perpetual motion machine. Itís a shot clock.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 08:58:24 am »

When you're referring to the AAA, it's quarter hazard - at best.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2020, 09:05:38 am »

By itself, this rule change does not ruin high school basketball - I agree with you there Beach Bum.
But the changes to the game that continue to strip the game of its fundamentals pushes more fans away each year.  Proper dribbling techniques are long gone and the handling violations are seldom (if ever) called anymore, traveling has become all too common, and despite the attempt to rid the game of them, the constant hand checking continues. 

I do not like change that moves the game being played in the winter further away from basketball.   

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2020, 09:09:02 am »
Thank you for saying that. Iíve been reading these posts in total disbelief. People here are acting like weíre asking someone to split atoms at the games, itís a shot clock. I have every confidence that every high school in the great state of Arkansas can find someone with the physical dexterity to push a button and the mental acumen to know when. I was at a football game this past season and watched in total awe how the school had assembled enough volunteers to work the snack bar. The jaw dropping moment came when I witnessed with my own eyes a man know when and how to flip the hamburgers, very impressive.

Arkansas has produced Drís, Lawyers, Scientists, Titans of business, professional athletes, stars of music and motion pictures and even a President. I have no doubt we can figure out a shot clock.

Itís a shot clock people, a shot clock. Weíre not asking the robotics team to disprove the law of thermal dynamics and build a perpetual motion machine. Itís a shot clock.

And this confidence no doubt exudes from every pore because the AAA does everything it handles so well....

Offline OB11

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2020, 09:42:16 am »
Would this not be done similar to what most places do with the football clock? Don't most places have someone running the game clock and another person running the play clock? I know you don't have to keep a book for football, but you normally have stat keepers/spotters/PA people in the booth for football games along with clock operators. That doesn't seem to be huge issue with most schools. I would assume basketball would be the same with just an extra person running the shot clock. Will it run smoothly year one? Probably not, but with time I think this won't be an issue as people become accustomed to it.

I'm normally a purist when it comes to athletics. The idea of a pitch clock in baseball is absurd to me. But I think a shot clock in basketball helps keep the "spirit" of the game intact. I think stall ball does the opposite. I am not saying making passes and running an offense is bad. What I'm talking about is true stall ball. Holding the ball for minutes at a time without doing anything is not in the spirit of what the game was intended to be. A shot clock eliminates this and forces teams to actually run an offense. I don't have a problem with what Brookland does (running a very deliberate offense) what I do have a problem with is a team holding the ball without doing anything for minutes at a time. That is not basketball. It is a strategy that the current rules allow, however. A shot clock simply takes that strategy away from teams. They will have to figure out some other way to slow the game down. And they will. It will just take time for everyone to adjust.

• Head Coach
  • Brookland Bearcats
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2020, 12:21:14 pm »
And this confidence no doubt exudes from every pore because the AAA does everything it handles so well....

From the same Einsteins that came up with the mixed conferences a few years back ::)

Online Rayburn

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2020, 01:23:08 pm »
There is a 5 second rule for ball handlers. No team can stand and hold the ball without complicit defense.

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2020, 01:36:46 pm »
Regardless of what anyoneís opinion is if this, they are owed credit here.

They have seen the trend, they have listened to coaches and schools and put in place a way for the schools to decide for themselves.

The AAA follows the lead of the schools. 

In the car of the shot clock, the AAA has been on point letting its members drive the bus.  And the AAA isnít to blame for all things.  Itís their member schools that propose and vote on many things that are questioned by others.  They are not perfect, but they are not the sole source for blame.

As for the shot clock, the AAA will guide this from 30000 feet and let their schools and classifications decide their preferences.

Online Rayburn

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2020, 01:40:24 pm »
By itself, this rule change does not ruin high school basketball - I agree with you there Beach Bum.
But the changes to the game that continue to strip the game of its fundamentals pushes more fans away each year.  Proper dribbling techniques are long gone and the handling violations are seldom (if ever) called anymore, traveling has become all too common, and despite the attempt to rid the game of them, the constant hand checking continues. 

I do not like change that moves the game being played in the winter further away from basketball.
I probably watch 60-70 games every season, and people are wrong who think there aren't many possessions that last 35 seconds. There are many in every game, even by teams with reputations for pushing the ball. These are still kids and they need to be allowed to execute an offense as long as it takes to get a good shot.
This idea of stopping teams from "holding the ball" is a non issue for two reasons.
1. It rarely ever happens. What's really being eliminated is offensive execution.
2. There is a 5-second rule. Teams can't stand around and hold the ball without a complicit defense.

I've known this has been coming. I have my theory as to why, and I still think it's a mistake. It's bad for high school sports, and worse for the game at higher levels.

Offline JessieP

• All Star
  • Take down the scoreboards.
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2020, 02:12:32 pm »
Some of the reasons being given for opposing the shot clock in this debate are laughable. Lack of offensive execution? Loss of fundamentals? Yeah, the NCAA or the NBA canít score. When was the last time you saw a 35-19 score in any game above high school level? Of the 8 states that currently MANDATE a shot clock 2, California and New York, produce the highest per capita number of college players. Thatís PER CAPITA. I wonder why, hmmm? Could it be they force the kids to play a full game of basketball. Btw, the NFHS list cost as the top reason why all states have yet to mandate a shot clock. They also state that by 2022 the majority of states will implement one.

I do understand feeling sentimental for the good old days but donít call yourself a purist. Am I not a purist if I agree that football helmets should have a face mask? I realize that some long for the day of fresh faced boys with crew cuts, Chuck Conner Converse, white socks pulled up to the knees wearing shorts that only hung 2 inches below the jocks making two handed chest passes. Sorry kids, those days are gone. Adapt or die.

Time to bring our kids up to speed. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the that team Hickory from the movie Hoosiers would get their brains beat out today.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 02:37:54 pm by JessieP »

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center