Author Topic: 3A-2 Boys Basketball  (Read 4284 times)

Offline TheRunAround

• Water Boy
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
3A-2 Boys Basketball
« on: January 08, 2020, 12:45:24 pm »
Whats this conference looking like as a whole? I assume that bottom teams(Cedar Ridge, Harrisburg, Palestine-Wheatley) are trying to close the talent gap while fighting low numbers. I recently saw all 3 of those play and they all have kids playing hard, but just don't have the talent to go with it. Newport, Harding, and Tuckerman have looked like they would be in contention for the top seed from the first half of season. Haven't heard a lot on Bald Knob, Cave City, Riverview

Online panther07

• Starter
Re: 3A-2 Boys Basketball
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 12:50:07 pm »
HA beat Bald Knob and Newport soundly with one of their top 2 players still not playing with ankle injury. 

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 10:36:21 am »
HA beat Bald Knob and Newport soundly with one of their top 2 players still not playing with ankle injury.
They shouldn't need him for the next few opponents who all have losing records. But will he be back by the Tuckerman game?

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 11:48:27 am »
Harding Academy 72 Cedar Ridge 39 FINAL

Tuckerman 51 Viola 50 FINAL

The Wildcats appear to be on a collision course with Tuckerman's Bulldogs. Both teams look to be undefeated in conference when they meet next Friday. Should be an epic battle.

Tuckerman has a slight edge. Not only do they have the advantage of their home court, which is a real pit, but also HA plays games both Monday and Tuesday, which means fatigue could be a factor.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:51:48 am by CoolBreeze »

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:36:33 am »

The Wildcats appear to be on a collision course with Tuckerman's Bulldogs. Both teams look to be undefeated in conference when they meet next Friday. Should be an epic battle.

Tuckerman has a slight edge. Not only do they have the advantage of their home court, which is a real pit, but also HA plays games both Monday and Tuesday, which means fatigue could be a factor.

For a team to win in Tuckerman, they need to be 10 pts better than the Bulldogs.  This accounts for home court and officiating.

Iíve seen both teams, HA should have their way.  Stop Keaton, Jones, and Shannon and Tuckerman struggles..  Keaton is a great talent.  He can light it up!

Offline Greyhound24

• Water Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 01:11:36 pm »

Just stop. Harding is the favorite in this game. Harding returns more players from last year than Tuckerman and added a 6í4 guard that moved in. Harding plays Monday and Tuesday before playing Tuckerman on Friday. Will pound both teams they play before Tuckerman.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 02:14:40 pm »
Just stop. Harding is the favorite in this game. Harding returns more players from last year than Tuckerman and added a 6í4 guard that moved in. Harding plays Monday and Tuesday before playing Tuckerman on Friday. Will pound both teams they play before Tuckerman.
HA only returns 2 starters from last year's team, Caden Sipe and Ty Dugger.

Who is the move-in you mentioned? I don't see anybody on the roster in MaxPreps who matches your description.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:20:12 pm by CoolBreeze »

Offline Greyhound24

• Water Boy
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 02:34:07 pm »
HA only returns 2 starters from last year's team, Caden Sipe and Ty Dugger.

Who is the move-in you mentioned? I don't see anybody on the roster in MaxPreps who matches your description.
I apologize. A home school kid who is now playing. McGaha might as well of been a starter. Bottom line Harding is the favorite to win the conference with Bald Knob a close second. Tuckerman has a good team but Harding and BK return more from last season and should be favorites until proven otherwise.

Offline Outoftownfan

• Water Boy
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 05:26:33 pm »
Unless Harding built a new facility over the summer Cool Breeze, I don't know how you can make a derogatory statement about any other gym in the conference. People in glass houses...............

Tuckerman is a tough place to play because they have a great fan base that gets loud and they have one of the premier young coaches in the state Leo Marvin. To think Tuckerman wins because of homer officials is laughable.

No question Harding is the favorite to win the conference this year. Tuckerman will have to play extremely well to stay in the game with Harding, but you can never count them out. They are well coached, play hard, and never give up.

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 09:05:39 pm »
Unless Harding built a new facility over the summer Cool Breeze, I don't know how you can make a derogatory statement about any other gym in the conference. People in glass houses...............

Tuckerman is a tough place to play because they have a great fan base that gets loud and they have one of the premier young coaches in the state Leo Marvin. To think Tuckerman wins because of homer officials is laughable.

No question Harding is the favorite to win the conference this year. Tuckerman will have to play extremely well to stay in the game with Harding, but you can never count them out. They are well coached, play hard, and never give up.

😁Tuckerman is a great place for a ballgame.  They do it right.  Your coach is one of the better ones in the business.

Donít count on any calls, HA!

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:52 pm »

My comment had nothing to do with the quality of the facility. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Tuckerman does play good basketball and they win most of their games on the road. But they will never be hurt by the officals in their own house. I have seen that at work even in junior high games.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 12:31:40 pm »
I apologize. A home school kid who is now playing. McGaha might as well of been a starter. Bottom line Harding is the favorite to win the conference with Bald Knob a close second. Tuckerman has a good team but Harding and BK return more from last season and should be favorites until proven otherwise.
Bradley Lowe is listed as a 6'2" forward. He played JV ball two years ago and was on the varsity last year, but didn't play much. His family has lived in Searcy for over 10 years.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:33:27 pm by CoolBreeze »

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 01:01:41 pm »
Tuckerman lost on the road at Cave City last week. Is this a sign that they may not be a contender for the conference championship? Or were they looking ahead to the Harding Academy game?

With Harding Academy at home tonight and traveling to Bald Knob tomorrow night, Tuckerman could easily end up with a four-game losing streak.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:33:06 pm by CoolBreeze »

Offline Outoftownfan

• Water Boy
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 09:16:59 pm »
Nope

Tuckerman lost on the road at Cave City last week. Is this a sign that they may not be a contender for the conference championship? Or were they looking ahead to the Harding Academy game?

With Harding Academy at home tonight and traveling to Bald Knob tomorrow night, Tuckerman could easily end up with a four-game losing streak.

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 07:03:21 am »
Wow!  Just saw score.  What was the difference in the game?  Very impressive, Bulldogs. 

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 08:53:04 am »
Like I said earlier. It's very hard for anyone to win at Tuckerman. Let's see how the Bulldogs do tonight at Bald Knob. If they win, they'll be in the thick of the hunt for the conference championship. But then, to date they're only 7-6 away from home cookin'.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:20:46 pm by CoolBreeze »

Offline Outoftownfan

• Water Boy
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 09:21:47 pm »
Like I said earlier. It's very hard for anyone to win at Tuckerman. Let's see how the Bulldogs do tonight at Bald Knob. If they win, they'll be in the thick of the hunt for the conference championship. But then, to date they're only 7-6 away from home cookin'.

This isn't good CoolBreeze.  Looks like Coach Bateman is taking the referees with him on the road now.  ;D ;D ;D   

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 10:50:23 pm »
Tuckerman does it again??  Back to back impressive victories!

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 11:20:14 am »
Tuckerman does it again??  Back to back impressive victories!
With a two-game skid and facing their toughest opponents in the conference on consecutive nights, their back was to the wall, and they responded. Now the game at HA on the 30th could decide the championship. Of course, both will face Bald Knob on their home courts.

[Corrected]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:13:54 pm by CoolBreeze »

Online panther07

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 01:37:30 pm »
With a two-game skid and facing their toughest opponents in the conference on consecutive nights, their back was to the wall, and they responded. Now the game at HA on the 30th could decide the championship. Of course, HA still has to go to Bald Knob, while Tuckerman gets them at home next time.

HA plays at BK twice?

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 03:11:52 pm »
HA plays at BK twice?
That'll teach me not to check my memory before I post. HA's win was at BK not at home. The Wildcats host BK on 2/4.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 10:41:38 am »
Last night's victory at Cave City puts HA on a collision course with Tuckerman next Thursday. The Wildcats should handle Riverview on Tuesday and Cedar Ridge will present no challenge to Tuckerman. Thus, the winner of Thursday's matchup should be the odds-on favorite to win the conference and get the 1-seed in the District Tournament.

Offline Longfellow

• Assistant Coach
  • Call me Fellow, Longfellow
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 07:21:36 pm »
Nothing to do with this thread but I just canít stand when a player gets called for a foul and just stands with his hands straight up in the air. Like, who does that?

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 11:24:35 pm »
Nothing to do with this thread but I just canít stand when a player gets called for a foul and just stands with his hands straight up in the air. Like, who does that?
haha. I know what you mean. Itís the players way of showing his proper position and that the principal of verticality applies thus the foul is not on him.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:18 am »
haha. I know what you mean. Itís the players way of showing his proper position and that the principal of verticality applies thus the foul is not on him.
And many times, he was not actually vertical. He just thinks he was.

Offline LRRandy

• Starter
  • tOhio State
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 01:39:21 pm »
And many times, he was not actually vertical. He just thinks he was.
exactly. The arms are at 2:00 and then the whistle blows and they shoot  straight up to midnight.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 10:35:09 am »
Can someone tell me where the District Tournament will be played this year?

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 05:06:28 pm »
The seeding for the district tournament should be fairly well set after last nightís triple-overtime shocker in Tuckerman.

Harding Academy (12-1) has first place all but locked up with a two-game lead over Bald Knob and only three games remaining. Of the three, only Newport has an outside chance of upsetting the Wildcats.

Bald Knob is in sole possession of 2nd place after last nightís hard-fought win at Tuckerman. Although I expect the Bulldogs to be fighting fatigue in tonightís game, they should still have little trouble with hapless Palestine-Wheatley. They do have to face Newport on Tuesday. But they pounded the Hounds by 24 at Newport, so they should have little trouble with them at home. Of course, this is high school basketball, so anything can happen. I certainly didnít expect BK to win at Tuckerman last night after a double-digit loss to them at home.

Tuckerman should get the 3-seed, although they are even on the loss side with Newport, since they have the tiebreaker over the Hounds after beating them twice. The Bulldogs remaining games are with Riverview and Cave City, both of whom have losing records. They should win both, although they lost earlier at Cave City while missing a starter due to illness. Moreover, Newport visits HA tonight and hosts BK on Tuesday. The odds are that the Hounds will lose at least one of those games.

Newport will finish 4th unless they pull off a miracle and move past Tuckerman. The Hounds are 3 games ahead of 5th place Cave City with three games remaining. Although they could easily lose both to BK and HA as mentioned above, the should easily win their final game with Cedar Ridge, since they beat the Tíwolves by 20+ on the road. Plus, the Cavemen must still visit Tuckerman.

To round out the lower half seeds:
Although Riverview is only one loss behind Cave City, they too must face Tuckerman. Neither team is likely to lose to anyone but Tuckerman. So, Cave City will finish 5th unless they lose to Tuckerman and Riverview upsets the Bulldogs. In that event, it will go to a tiebreaker, since the teams split during the season.

Riverview likely finishes 6th for the reasons shown above.

Cedar Ridge (4-10) is a game ahead of Palestine-Wheatley on the loss side, but they will likely lose both their remaining conference games to HA and at Newport to finish at 4-12. Still, they likely finish 7th for reasons shown below.
Palestine Wheatly (2-11) will almost certainly lose their three remaining games to BK, CC, and HA, all of whom pounded them by 30+ earlier in the season. Yet they will hold onto 8th place.

Harrisburg (1-12), who have beaten only P-W at home, will remain in the cellar, losing their three remaining games to CC, Riverview, and BK.

Any comments? Agree or disagree?

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2020, 09:32:37 pm »
Big win for Newport over HA tonight! 49-48

Great job Hounds!!

Offline Greyhound24

• Water Boy
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 11:20:32 pm »
Congrats Newport! Great Win!

Online panther07

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 07:39:16 pm »
Can someone tell me where the District Tournament will be played this year?

Cedar ridge.

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2020, 09:47:52 pm »
Newport takes down Bald Knob
 tonight!  Back to back victories over HA and Bald Knob.

Way to go Hounds!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:22:06 pm by Leo Marvin »

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 01:05:51 pm »
Newport takes down Bald Knob
 tonight!  Back to back victories over HA and Bald Knob.

Way to go Hounds!!
What has happened to the Hounds? Both HAand BK handled them easily earlier in the season.

Also, this win throws a monkey wrench into the seeding, since Tuckerman, BK, and Newport are now in a three-way tie for 2nd place with one game remaining. Newport will pound Cedar Ridge and BK will do the same to Harrisburg, while must face Cave City who beat them earlier. However, this time the contest will be at Tuckerman and the Bulldogs may not be missing a starter as they were the last time.

I expect them to end tied at 12-4. However, it's not a perfect circle. BK split with both of the others, but Tuckerman beat Newport twice. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm guessing that means the seeding would go Tuckerman-2, BK-3, and Newport-4.

Of course, if CC upsets the Bulldogs, they'd fall to 4th and tiebreaker points would determine seeding between Newport and BK.

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2020, 09:35:33 pm »
What has happened to the Hounds? Both HAand BK handled them easily earlier in the season.

Also, this win throws a monkey wrench into the seeding, since Tuckerman, BK, and Newport are now in a three-way tie for 2nd place with one game remaining. Newport will pound Cedar Ridge and BK will do the same to Harrisburg, while must face Cave City who beat them earlier. However, this time the contest will be at Tuckerman and the Bulldogs may not be missing a starter as they were the last time.

I expect them to end tied at 12-4. However, it's not a perfect circle. BK split with both of the others, but Tuckerman beat Newport twice. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm guessing that means the seeding would go Tuckerman-2, BK-3, and Newport-4.

Of course, if CC upsets the Bulldogs, they'd fall to 4th and tiebreaker points would determine seeding between Newport and BK.

Newport is making plays and improving on the defensive end.  I think they are so new that everyone is starting to understand their role.

The team should get a boost when a 6-6 freshman joins after this week. The size will help protect the rim. Something they can use.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2020, 09:40:30 pm »
Newport is making plays and improving on the defensive end.  I think they are so new that everyone is starting to understand their role.

The team should get a boost when a 6-6 freshman joins after this week. The size will help protect the rim. Something they can use.
They could be a tough out come tournament time.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 02:46:56 pm »
Does anyone have the district tournament schedule?

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 12:11:07 pm »
I have not seen the schedule anywhere, and MaxPreps only shows last night's  Palestine-Wheatley/Harrisburg game and tonight's contest between P-W and Cave City. So, I have attempted to piece together the likely district tournament schedule.

Mon

P-W 71
H'burg 59

Tue

P-W         23
Cave City  55

Cedar Ridge  43
Riverview      45

Wed

CC               42
Newport      61

RV             64
Bald Knob 77

Fri
Newport vs. Harding Academy 5:15
BK vs. Tuckerman 7:45

Sat

Finals 7:00

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:09:04 am by CoolBreeze »

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 04:41:06 pm »
I have not seen the schedule anywhere, and MaxPreps only shows last night's  Palestine-Wheatley/Harrisburg game and tonight's contest between P-W and Cave City. So, I have attempted to piece together the likely district tournament schedule.

Mon

P-W 71
H'burg 59

Tue

P-W vs. CaveCity 5:15
Cedar Ridge vs. Riverview

Thur

CR/RV winner vs. Newport
P-W/CC winner vs. Bald Knob

Fri
CR/RV/Newport winner vs. Harding Academy
P-W/CC/BK winner vs. Tuckerman

Sat

Finals

If anyone has access to the actual schedule, I would appreciate any corrections/additions you can provide.
A friend sent me the actual schedule. Since I don't know how to insert anything into a post, I have corrected the post above to match.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2020, 04:24:29 pm »

Mon

P-W 71
H'burg 59

Tue

P-W         23
Cave City  55

Cedar Ridge  43
Riverview      45

Wed

CC vs. Newport 5:15
RV vs. Bald Knob 7:45

Fri
CC/Newport winner vs. Harding Academy 5:15
RV/BK winner vs. Tuckerman 7:45

Sat

Finals 7:00
Above post updated to Reflect Tuesday's games

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2020, 09:33:19 pm »
Newport defeats Cave City, 61-42

Offline urban legend2

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2020, 09:42:04 pm »
Any scores on the other games?

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2020, 09:08:25 am »
Any scores on the other games?
Bald Knob 77

Riverview 64

Above schedule updated to reflect Wednesday games.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:36:06 am by CoolBreeze »

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2020, 05:50:17 am »
Semifinals:

Newport defeats HA

Tuckerman defeats BK

Going to be a fun night in Newark with an all Jackson Co final between The Greyhounds and The Bulldogs!

Offline RedWolf275

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2020, 09:30:12 am »
Newport is on a roll.

Offline CoolBreeze

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2020, 10:03:04 pm »
Newport is on a roll.
Tuckerman ends Hounds streak, 51-40. Bulldogs prove themselves to be top dogs in the 2-3A

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 06:59:25 am »
Now itís time to see if allyís naysayers were right about the 3A-2

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2020, 03:33:14 pm »
Proud of Newportís season and the future is bright with pretty much everyone coming back.

Online Radiotalker

• All Star
  • 2009 & 2012 Pickems Champion, 2010 Runner-up
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2020, 04:16:11 pm »
Now it’s time to see if ally’s naysayers were right about the 3A-2

they were right

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center