Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Wednesday, February 19th, 2020.
Jonesboro Westside's Logan McPherson is Week 8 Player of the Week
Strong's Derrion Davis named Fearless Friday Player of the Week
Last week was our last week of Thursday Night televised games. Thanks for watching. Contact Lanny if your team wants on TV next season.
Conference season is underway. Be sure to check the Standings tab.
The season nears and we have you covered with the new look Fearless Friday Home Page. Forums remain the same.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board

Author Topic: Lincoln open  (Read 8388 times)

Offline gameoflife

• Starter
Re: Lincoln open
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2020, 09:45:43 am »
Any news on the Lincoln hire?   I keep hearing a few of the same names, all local or with ties to NWA.

Online whippersnapper

• Assistant Coach
  • 121 Bucksweep
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2020, 11:08:00 am »
No hire has been made. Think they're starting 2nd round of interviews soon

Offline gameoflife

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2020, 12:19:07 pm »
No hire has been made. Think they're starting 2nd round of interviews soon
Wonder if that's new candidates, because they didn't find their guy or redo's of the top candidates. 
I did hear some good folks opted out. Maybe that's it.

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 11:54:36 am »
Wonder if that's new candidates, because they didn't find their guy or redo's of the top candidates. 
I did hear some good folks opted out. Maybe that's it.
May be some news after the next board meeting.  I believe that is on the 17th.  Still hear a couple of names being repeated.

Online whippersnapper

• Assistant Coach
  • 121 Bucksweep
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2020, 08:40:53 am »
Reed Mendoza former OC from 2017-2018 seasons is new head coach

Offline i40traveler

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2020, 08:44:09 am »
Reed Mendoza former OC from 2017-2018 seasons is new head coach

Is that the Dover HC?

Offline coachc9

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2020, 08:49:32 am »

Offline gameoflife

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2020, 04:33:17 pm »
Yes
Yes, that is the Dover HC. He was at Dover last season, I see they went 0-10.  Somebody must have liked him at Lincoln.  He was OC there.

Online whippersnapper

• Assistant Coach
  • 121 Bucksweep
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2020, 04:59:14 pm »
Mendoza is 0-10, no hiding it. Imo a lot of this hire was based upon the fact he was at Lincoln this time last year coaching baseball. He lead that team to the state playoffs a couple months later. He also knows the kids and at a place like Lincoln stability is key. Having Mendoza will help keep going what Harrison had. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously and had he known this opportunity would've been on his doorstep he more then likely wouldn't have left Lincoln. What folks may not know is Dover reached out to him and asked him to apply. At 26 and a 4a school asks you to apply for the HC job? I bet anyone wouldve done it. This is just a better situation and opportunity now for his family to go back to Lincoln. I promise you this, no one will be more motivated then Mendoza once he is up there and going full time. He will do a lot of things the same as Harrison did in schemes from my understanding. Minor tweaks to things some folks won't notice. I'm sure his off-season program will resemble that in ways too.

Offline Roscoe

• Water Boy
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2020, 05:05:45 pm »
Hired a guy with 1 year experience as a head coach in which he went 0-10 and on top of that he got beat by the mighty Subiaco Trojans by 24?!?!?  You've got to be kidding me with this hire!

Offline arkansasprepfootball

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2020, 05:16:25 pm »
Hired a guy with 1 year experience as a head coach in which he went 0-10 and on top of that he got beat by the mighty Subiaco Trojans by 24?!?!?  You've got to be kidding me with this hire!

99% of the coaching profession is who you know.  Lincoln will do well, weak league and some talent back.  Tough situation for Dover, had some good applicants last year and went with the guy who bounced less than a year later.  Will be interesting to see if they have a candidate pool worth a darn.  Such is the business.

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2020, 05:59:10 pm »
99% of the coaching profession is who you know.  Lincoln will do well, weak league and some talent back.  Tough situation for Dover, had some good applicants last year and went with the guy who bounced less than a year later.  Will be interesting to see if they have a candidate pool worth a darn.  Such is the business.
Tough for Dover, they have to do it all over again.  As for the Lincoln hire it is about knowing people there.  This hire was forecast by some.  Hired a guy that the town knows and the AD wanted.  Seems to be a page out of the U of A playbook.  We'll see how it goes.  Definitely have a shot in the new conference.

Online Sigmund Sauer

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2020, 06:09:26 pm »
I assure you that 0-10 had little to do with Mendoza. Many said that record was going to happen regardless of who got hired. The job came open for a reason. What talent they had left transferred out over the last few years. Every other school around has a Dover kid or 2 on their team.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:45:45 pm by Sigmund Sauer »

Offline athletic supporter

• Assistant Coach
  • Red Devil Pride!!!
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2020, 10:09:07 pm »
I assure you that 0-10 had little to do with Mendoza. Many said that record was going to happen regardless of who got hired. The job came open for a reason. What talent they had left transferred out over the last few years. Every other school around has a Dover kid or 2 on their team.

Not every school around

Online Sigmund Sauer

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2020, 10:34:57 pm »
Not every school around
True, probably a few that were more appealing than others.

Offline Jranbo1212

• Water Boy
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2020, 09:34:30 am »

Even with that, you shouldn't get blown out by Subiaco... You should at least be able to play a close game will Waldron, Subi, and Fountain Lake. Those teams were terrible and had their own issues within.  But in that profession, it's all about who you know so more power to him.  At least he can't do any worse

Online Sigmund Sauer

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2020, 10:23:05 am »
Even with that, you shouldn't get blown out by Subiaco... You should at least be able to play a close game will Waldron, Subi, and Fountain Lake. Those teams were terrible and had their own issues within.  But in that profession, it's all about who you know so more power to him.  At least he can't do any worse
You speak as though you are familiar with Dover team and players. I will tell you, the teams you mentioned, Subi, FL, Waldron did have a “few” good athletes. It does look like the Pirates have some talent moving up from Jr  High and 7th grade.

Offline shadiest_mouse

• Band Nerd
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2020, 10:36:34 am »
You speak as though you are familiar with Dover team and players. I will tell you, the teams you mentioned, Subi, FL, Waldron did have a “few” good athletes. It does look like the Pirates have some talent moving up from Jr  High and 7th grade.

do they now?

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer
  • And Whals, and beaverfan007
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2020, 10:42:50 am »
Typical Lincoln. have coordinators from nearly every 1-4A school interviewing and several from the 7A west and boom. 3 years out of 35 ain't bad.

Offline Jranbo1212

• Water Boy
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2020, 08:45:49 am »

Now that's funny LOL

Offline doggieskoot2

• Bench Warmer
  • Yep.............like I said.
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2020, 09:17:02 am »
A young guy that went 0-10 in his first coaching gig.   Makes total sense to me.

Offline Jranbo1212

• Water Boy
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2020, 09:44:28 am »
A young guy that went 0-10 in his first coaching gig.   Makes total sense to me.

I feel like a young guy is ok.  One that just went 0-10, I'm not so sure about

Offline Oldbadger

• All Star
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2020, 01:14:28 pm »
I don't know Mendoza. But I know quite a bit about Dover's recent years. I would not hold his record against him. Had they been consistent winners, maybe you would have a point. But taking over a losing program and producing an instant winner would exceed most any coaches or schools expectations. Had it not been Lincoln and had he not had a history with Lincoln, he probably would have stayed at Dover. So, he  probably has a better chance of producing results at Lincoln than Dover. With Lincoln dropping down to 3A  his chances are even greater. So,  I'm willing to give him a chance. Sounds like his relationship with the AD is at least fair, which is a big plus.lol

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2020, 07:02:45 pm »
I agree with much of what you said.  Getting along with A.D. and dropping down to 3A are tied for #1, having a history at Lincoln must be #2, .  My biggest question is why hire a guy that is 0-10 with only 1 year as HC when the reported quality of area coaches who also applied and had significant success.

Online Sigmund Sauer

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2020, 06:57:39 am »
Depends on what you know about football or the actual team. People who look at an 0-10 record without prior knowledge and automatically assume it's a bad coach know nothing about football. I had high hopes for Dover before last season started, thought hey maybe they can get 4 wins and start something. Then, I saw them in preseason action and team camps. I had never seen a less skillful group of players overall. I turned to the guy next to me and said, "They may not win a game." The players just did not have the fundamentals that most do at that age. Players were not in great physical shape. I have no connection to Mendoza or Dover. However, I really want Dover to get good and get good fast. The 4-4A can't continue to only have Dardy, Ozark and Pottsville as legitimate contenders each year. Have to have Dover put something together and get back in the mix to strengthen the conf. That's why I follow their progress, errr lack of. Good luck to Mendoza at Lincoln, I'll bet he's picking up a group that has seen a more consistent level of preparation than he inherited in Pirate country. Give him a season then decide how you feel.

Offline Leo Marvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2020, 07:22:36 am »
He will be better off in Lincoln now that they dropped to 3A. 

Offline Jranbo1212

• Water Boy
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2020, 10:51:30 am »
Depends on what you know about football or the actual team. People who look at an 0-10 record without prior knowledge and automatically assume it's a bad coach know nothing about football. I had high hopes for Dover before last season started, thought hey maybe they can get 4 wins and start something. Then, I saw them in preseason action and team camps. I had never seen a less skillful group of players overall. I turned to the guy next to me and said, "They may not win a game." The players just did not have the fundamentals that most do at that age. Players were not in great physical shape. I have no connection to Mendoza or Dover. However, I really want Dover to get good and get good fast. The 4-4A can't continue to only have Dardy, Ozark and Pottsville as legitimate contenders each year. Have to have Dover put something together and get back in the mix to strengthen the conf. That's why I follow their progress, errr lack of. Good luck to Mendoza at Lincoln, I'll bet he's picking up a group that has seen a more consistent level of preparation than he inherited in Pirate country. Give him a season then decide how you feel.

It isn't necessarily the win and loses but you can base it off of the improvement made each year.  If they improved a tremendous amount from beginning to end then yes, he can probably run a program at least a little bit.  If not, then the coaching probably isn't there.

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2020, 11:39:49 am »
It isn't necessarily the win and loses but you can base it off of the improvement made each year.  If they improved a tremendous amount from beginning to end then yes, he can probably run a program at least a little bit.  If not, then the coaching probably isn't there.
It takes a while to get a down program up on it's feet.  Brad Harris only won 3 games in 3 years before getting it turned around and then putting together the best stretch of success in school history 23/12 and two trips to playoffs with a 6th place final ranking.  Time will tell if they can ever get back to that level.

Offline gameoflife

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2020, 12:51:41 pm »
It can take time to build up a program. Seems they were doing ok but not great, in the past 6 years only the 8-3 season a couple of years ago was a winner.  Hovered around 4 wins on average.  They should do better in 3A.  As for the coach selection it will work out or it won't but may not know for a few years.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center