Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Wednesday, April 1st, 2020.
Jonesboro Westside's Logan McPherson is Week 8 Player of the Week
Strong's Derrion Davis named Fearless Friday Player of the Week
Last week was our last week of Thursday Night televised games. Thanks for watching. Contact Lanny if your team wants on TV next season.
Conference season is underway. Be sure to check the Standings tab.
The season nears and we have you covered with the new look Fearless Friday Home Page. Forums remain the same.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board

Author Topic: 5A West in 2020  (Read 1945 times)

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
5A West in 2020
« on: December 15, 2019, 06:00:46 pm »
Alma, Clarksville, Farmington, Greenbrier, Harrison, Morrilton, Pea Ridge, Vilonia

Thoughts, returning starters, any 9th graders who dominated JH who will add depth to your team, just overall prediction of finish??

My overall thoughts just in general is that this conference could be pretty deep in 2020 and on paper quite competitive. I'll follow this league a little more now that Pea Ridge is in it......

Alma- bringing in a new leader soon and we'll see how drastic of change this will entail philosophically on defense/offense

Morrilton- I know they lose Criswell, but they should have enough to be in the playoff discussion again right?

Pea Ridge- the newcomer, what helps them is they have more kids on their roster than most 4A teams and this will help them adjust with depth and especially on defense. Making the playoffs might be a tough ask in year one, but maybe they can sneak in as the 4 seed? Don't use their loss to Farmington against them, they were ravaged with injuries early in the year

Vilonia- how many guys do they return from a very successful group? Can they compete again or was that just a special class of seniors that lead them?

Harrison- they lose a lot of offensive production stating the obvious, but seem to have some program stability across the board as a program that they will still be in the mix

Online x14113

• Fearless Friday Historian
  • Assistant Coach
  • W-T-F: Watch The Fake!
Re: 5A West in 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:42:07 pm »
Clarksville will be back at the bottom, no doubt about it.

All that momentum from sweeping their OOC slate, and it doesn’t even budge the needle in conference standing.

Now, all those seniors that tried to put the Paper Panthers back on the gridiron map are gone.

And PR will prove to be a much tougher out than Huntsville.

Yeah, the piper will be after the cash at Exit 57 next season.

Offline InYoGrill

• B52 Bomb Loada
  • Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:44:44 pm »

V will be strong again. Soph QB will only get better. Soph RB Kirk I predict will run for well over 1000 yards. Very quick, hard nosed, makes yard after contact. WR's will be deep. Lines will be big again with more depth. Coach Langrell has got the Eagle ship on track for many years to come. Watch the 7on7 results this summer. Almost won it against the PA's last summer. Showed what was to come this past season. Strong JR  High programs!! Future is GREAT!

Vilonia Eagle Foundation banquet will have Houston Nutt as guest speaker in Feb.

Go Eagles!!

Offline Chief_Osceola™

• Hall of Famer
  • 'Nets & 'Noles
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 09:13:22 pm »
Clarksville will be back at the bottom, no doubt about it.

All that momentum from sweeping their OOC slate, and it doesn’t even budge the needle in conference standing.

Now, all those seniors that tried to put the Paper Panthers back on the gridiron map are gone.

And PR will prove to be a much tougher out than Huntsville.

Yeah, the piper will be after the cash at Exit 57 next season.

x - you seem to have it out for C’ville. Is there a backstory there? Just curious.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:38:12 pm »
V will be strong again. Soph QB will only get better. Soph RB Kirk I predict will run for well over 1000 yards. Very quick, hard nosed, makes yard after contact. WR's will be deep. Lines will be big again with more depth. Coach Langrell has got the Eagle ship on track for many years to come. Watch the 7on7 results this summer. Almost won it against the PA's last summer. Showed what was to come this past season. Strong JR  High programs!! Future is GREAT!

Vilonia Eagle Foundation banquet will have Houston Nutt as guest speaker in Feb.

Go Eagles!!

Thanks for the info as I am going to start following the West much more... If Vilonia stays strong then I know for sure this conference going to be stout with usual players Harrison, Morrilton, Alma to go along with Vilonia.. Then throw in Greenbrier, Farmington, and Pea Ridge are all respectable makes for a good 2020 in the West

Online x14113

• Fearless Friday Historian
  • Assistant Coach
  • W-T-F: Watch The Fake!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 09:59:54 pm »
x - you seem to have it out for C’ville. Is there a backstory there? Just curious.

Comes naturally with supporting an embittered rival.

On that note—we’ll be first in line to collect our checks next year.

They best be ready. :D

Offline Hawk4L

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:10:00 am »
Being from PR as high as I’ve been on them the past few years we will really struggle next year. We woulda struggled even in the 4A.  We lose a lot. Sr class will be the weakest we’ve had in last 7 years. I honestly see us 7-8th in conf as much as it pains me to say.  Hope I’m wrong.

Offline WTD

• 2nd String
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 09:08:26 am »
Alma, Clarksville, Farmington, Greenbrier, Harrison, Morrilton, Pea Ridge, Vilonia

Thoughts, returning starters, any 9th graders who dominated JH who will add depth to your team, just overall prediction of finish??

My overall thoughts just in general is that this conference could be pretty deep in 2020 and on paper quite competitive. I'll follow this league a little more now that Pea Ridge is in it......

Alma- bringing in a new leader soon and we'll see how drastic of change this will entail philosophically on defense/offense

Morrilton- I know they lose Criswell, but they should have enough to be in the playoff discussion again right?

Pea Ridge- the newcomer, what helps them is they have more kids on their roster than most 4A teams and this will help them adjust with depth and especially on defense. Making the playoffs might be a tough ask in year one, but maybe they can sneak in as the 4 seed? Don't use their loss to Farmington against them, they were ravaged with injuries early in the year

Vilonia- how many guys do they return from a very successful group? Can they compete again or was that just a special class of seniors that lead them?

Harrison- they lose a lot of offensive production stating the obvious, but seem to have some program stability across the board as a program that they will still be in the mix

Pea Ridge will be fine in the 5A west, they may be losing a lot of seniors and some talent but with those numbers and a solid offseason program Coach Neal should be able to develop what they need in order to compete. In my opinion the biggest difference that Pea Ridge will see is coaching, other than Shiloh Christian in their conference coaching fell off in 4A-1. 5A west will have some of the best coached teams week in, week out. Welcome to 5A Pea Ridge

Offline Hawk4L

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 10:16:03 am »
Pea Ridge will be fine in the 5A west, they may be losing a lot of seniors and some talent but with those numbers and a solid offseason program Coach Neal should be able to develop what they need in order to compete. In my opinion the biggest difference that Pea Ridge will see is coaching, other than Shiloh Christian in their conference coaching fell off in 4A-1. 5A west will have some of the best coached teams week in, week out. Welcome to 5A Pea Ridge
If your not from Pea Ridge you don’t know. We are gonna struggle this year. I agree eventually we will be fine but unless these other 5A school also lost a lot and will be much weaker then we will be in trouble.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 10:45:45 am »

Forgetting about a certain coach in Prairie Grove that will hit 200 wins next year? If you're talking about quantity yes Shiloh has that over PG.. Prairie Grove only had 4 coaches 7th-12th grade until a couple years ago.... So if you're talking about the quantity of coaches then yes that does lead to more quality naturally cause they can concentrate on a smaller area. But there was plenty of quality already in the 1-4A. They just don't have 9 or 10 coaches at every school is what you must mean. 9 or 10 vs 4 people is usually going to win the coaching battle of course.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:01:32 am by beach bum »

Offline Chief_Osceola™

• Hall of Famer
  • 'Nets & 'Noles
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 11:32:37 am »
If your not from Pea Ridge you don’t know. We are gonna struggle this year. I agree eventually we will be fine but unless these other 5A school also lost a lot and will be much weaker then we will be in trouble.

A lot of teams in the West are losing a lot.

Offline RZback

• 2nd String
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 08:44:08 pm »
Excited about the future for the Blackhawks in 5A.  I think they can be competitive but might take a little time to rise to the top.  Against Farmington the last few years they have done very well, and a few turnovers prevented a possible win this past season.  It's a conference that bounces up and down but I think PR will be ok.

Offline RZback

• 2nd String
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 02:13:49 pm »
Can't be more ready for warm weather and spring football.  Everything in between is just filler.  Oh, i guess basketball and baseball are ok but they just don't rise to the same level.

Offline VHSCoach2

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 07:22:13 pm »
Can't be more ready for warm weather and spring football.  Everything in between is just filler.  Oh, i guess basketball and baseball are ok but they just don't rise to the same level.

::) ::) ::)

Offline Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 08:09:43 am »
Comes naturally with supporting an embittered rival.

On that note—we’ll be first in line to collect our checks next year.

They best be ready. :D

Still mad about last year maybe? All y’all had to do was give Burns the ball a few more times and you would’ve won. The 2 times he did run it made their d look like peewee team. Anyway, Clarksville lost almost their entire team. Have some talent moving up, but Idk if it’ll be enough to win any games. Offense will be even more predictable w big brother gone. #7 every time. He is a handful to tackle tho

Offline bleed_blue

• Water Boy
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 10:39:28 am »
Greenbrier is coming off one of the worst seasons since coach Tribble has taken over.  With that being said it may have been what this staff needed to re-evaluate their processes and game plan.  They return a QB that started 5 games as a sophomore that will continue to get better.  He has a strong arm and has some wheels too.  Return their starting RB and will give more carries to upcoming junior Huett who runs angry and is hard to tackle.  They have 4 offensive lineman returning and get a couple others healthy that couldn't play last year.  We lose all of our wide receivers but feel like we upgrade those positions athletically but lose the experience.  Get a super fast freshman into the mix that has breakaway speed!  Defensively they had their best year in a long time.  We lose our work horse in Barnard which will be hard to replace, but feel like the other positions will be better.  Taking all that into consideration I feel like Greenbrier bounces back in a big way this season and if the ball bounces right could get as high as a share of conference title or a 2 seed.  Greenbrier v Vilonia is always a huge rivalry but these next couple of years will be even more intense!  Feel like realistically whoever wins this game ends up as the 2 seed.
I think Morrilton will be a little down this year as they are not getting much help from the 9th grade bunch and of course they lost Criswell.  Harrison's 9th grade teams have been really good the last couple of seasons so I expect them to still be the team to beat and they get their starting QB back.  Of course losing Husky is not something you easily replace!  Not sure about Alma?  I know they lose a lot of seniors but with a new coach it may revitalize them a bit.  Vilonia will be good again this year.  I know they lost several linemen and stud RB.  QB is solid and the Kirk kid is good but does not have that break away speed like Smith had.  Their sophomore class, upcoming Juniors, are very talented.  Farmington, Clarksville, and Pea Ridge I do not know much about?  If anyone has some insight on if these three will be better and contend for a playoff spot please post it?

My prediction for the 5A West:
1. Harrison
2/3. Vilonia/Greenbrier Think this one will come down to who wins week 11 matchup
4. Alma
5. Morrilton
6. Farmington
7. Clarksville
8. Pea Ridge

Offline Walter s

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 11:16:30 am »
Clarksville has a stud rb moving up to go w the other good rb. So in theory they should be able to move the ball w those 2. Have a good qb who can throw and run well, but they rarely throw. They lost most of their starters on both sides of the ball. The O line is a big question mark, as is the entire defense. Lot of talent coming, but I think they’re a year away still. Don’t see them winning a conference game this year

Offline gameoflife

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 01:04:18 pm »
Forgetting about a certain coach in Prairie Grove that will hit 200 wins next year? If you're talking about quantity yes Shiloh has that over PG.. Prairie Grove only had 4 coaches 7th-12th grade until a couple years ago.... So if you're talking about the quantity of coaches then yes that does lead to more quality naturally cause they can concentrate on a smaller area. But there was plenty of quality already in the 1-4A. They just don't have 9 or 10 coaches at every school is what you must mean. 9 or 10 vs 4 people is usually going to win the coaching battle of course.
Is that a money issue or just old fashioned?

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 01:46:03 pm »
Is that a money issue or just old fashioned?

PG administration has always been cheap no matter who is calling the shots it seems in administration... That goes for the district as a whole, and not just athletics. With the inevitable that they join this 5A West conversation in 2022 they will have to change that or they will not compete at the level they would like without more resources.

Offline Hogman2018

• 2nd String
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 04:55:39 pm »
PG administration has always been cheap no matter who is calling the shots it seems in administration... That goes for the district as a whole, and not just athletics. With the inevitable that they join this 5A West conversation in 2022 they will have to change that or they will not compete at the level they would like without more resources.
YAWN!! Mr. Knowitall

Offline InYoGrill

• B52 Bomb Loada
  • Head Coach
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 08:15:35 pm »
Greenbrier is coming off one of the worst seasons since coach Tribble has taken over.  With that being said it may have been what this staff needed to re-evaluate their processes and game plan.  They return a QB that started 5 games as a sophomore that will continue to get better.  He has a strong arm and has some wheels too.  Return their starting RB and will give more carries to upcoming junior Huett who runs angry and is hard to tackle.  They have 4 offensive lineman returning and get a couple others healthy that couldn't play last year.  We lose all of our wide receivers but feel like we upgrade those positions athletically but lose the experience.  Get a super fast freshman into the mix that has breakaway speed!  Defensively they had their best year in a long time.  We lose our work horse in Barnard which will be hard to replace, but feel like the other positions will be better.  Taking all that into consideration I feel like Greenbrier bounces back in a big way this season and if the ball bounces right could get as high as a share of conference title or a 2 seed.  Greenbrier v Vilonia is always a huge rivalry but these next couple of years will be even more intense!  Feel like realistically whoever wins this game ends up as the 2 seed.
I think Morrilton will be a little down this year as they are not getting much help from the 9th grade bunch and of course they lost Criswell.  Harrison's 9th grade teams have been really good the last couple of seasons so I expect them to still be the team to beat and they get their starting QB back.  Of course losing Husky is not something you easily replace!  Not sure about Alma?  I know they lose a lot of seniors but with a new coach it may revitalize them a bit.  Vilonia will be good again this year.  I know they lost several linemen and stud RB.  QB is solid and the Kirk kid is good but does not have that break away speed like Smith had.  Their sophomore class, upcoming Juniors, are very talented.  Farmington, Clarksville, and Pea Ridge I do not know much about?  If anyone has some insight on if these three will be better and contend for a playoff spot please post it?

My prediction for the 5A West:
1. Harrison
2/3. Vilonia/Greenbrier Think this one will come down to who wins week 11 matchup
4. Alma
5. Morrilton
6. Farmington
7. Clarksville
8. Pea Ridge

Interesting read Blue! Good job! I concur WK 10. Be Ready, Eagles gonna punish.  ;D GRILL

Offline RZback

• 2nd String
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 10:33:28 pm »
I always heard they put a lot on their coaches.  Is it just being cheap or is it a problem with budget, millage or what.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center