Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Friday, November 22nd, 2019.
Jonesboro Westside's Logan McPherson is Week 8 Player of the Week
Strong's Derrion Davis named Fearless Friday Player of the Week
Last week was our last week of Thursday Night televised games. Thanks for watching. Contact Lanny if your team wants on TV next season.
Conference season is underway. Be sure to check the Standings tab.
The season nears and we have you covered with the new look Fearless Friday Home Page. Forums remain the same.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board

Author Topic: Bryant best since Springdale 2005?  (Read 8208 times)

Offline B.G.

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
Bryant best since Springdale 2005?
« on: October 12, 2019, 08:35:08 am »
They are simply a machine right now.  Basically unchallenged every night.  To here, you can easily compare them to the Springdale 2005 team.

Are we watching history?

Offline ricepig

• Legend
Re: Bryant best since Springdale 2005?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 08:50:49 am »
They apparently are very good, I doubt they end up getting the national recognition that Springdale did, and is Arkansas football at the top classification as strong?

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:52:54 am »
If they had the same hype machine pushing them, they would easily be thought of the same way.  But they don't have that push behind them or fancy nicknames, recruiting services and others pushing the issue.

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 09:01:48 am »
If they had the same hype machine pushing them, they would easily be thought of the same way.  But they don't have that push behind them or fancy nicknames, recruiting services and others pushing the issue.

True, not everybody had PP.......

Offline IAFLAR7

• Starter
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 10:24:01 am »
Honestly, I don’t think anyone knows. They still have not faced the toughest teams  - NLR, Conway and Bentonville  - all three are better than anyone they have played so far so how does anyone know? How will Bryant react when they are actually challenged and have to play 4 quarters??

Offline sportsguy80

• 2nd String
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 11:02:20 am »
Honestly, I don’t think anyone knows. They still have not faced the toughest teams  - NLR, Conway and Bentonville  - all three are better than anyone they have played so far so how does anyone know? How will Bryant react when they are actually challenged and have to play 4 quarters??
I was thinking the same. Wait to see if they will win back-to-back state titles first and then we may have a clearer picture.

Online AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
  • Storm into the party like my name was El Nino
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 11:07:52 am »
It was only a matter of time for when Buck James got Bryant to statewide dominance. What he did at Star City and CF was solid. Especially Star city. His coaching along with close district lines to LRSD(failing school zones) and school choice, Bryant is was a sleeping giant.

Barring collapse. I don’t see a north Arkansas school beating them and NLR is hampered with injuries. Conway is coming along but Bryant has a lot of depth. City growth isn’t stopping either so this could be the norm for a while. Interested to see what Southwest high does to some of the school choice kids though. Their facilities are amazing but give  it 10 years. The idiot Joyce Elliot and her crew of clowns will run it into the dirt in 10 years.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:14:35 am by AirWarren »

Offline OPoraquê

• Starter
    • A-B-P Ministries
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 11:52:07 am »
...or Bentonville 2010?

(Fixed it.  God bless.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:39:43 pm by OPoraquê »

Offline PigskinPete

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 12:20:35 pm »
Let’s hope the Bryant Parents don’t let it go to their heads like it did to the Springdale parents. 

Offline Earl is my Hero!!

• Head Coach
  • Wake me up when football starts again...
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 02:10:39 pm »
Lol.

Here’s a highly mentally diminished fool’s effort to contribute O’Porky-esque useless trivia to the discussion:

Brandon Allen went on to wed (or at least was engaged) to a young lady that was a cheerleader for said 2010 Tigers. I have to give BA credit, this young lady was not only one of the prettiest young women I have ever met, but she was also one of the sharpest and smartest. Young lady could do anything she put her mind to doing.

How’s that for useless trivia??

Offline B.G.

• Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 02:59:11 pm »

- Fayetteville  (Quote: "Both Allens > Mustain." - B. G., on the FF boards in 2011)

I stand by this statement.

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 03:02:06 pm »
Bryant is a great team. As good as Springdale was? I don't know. They don't use all the fancy plays I remember from Gus, but they seem to play a very solid game. Defense and offense. Their only shortfall is unnecessary penalties but they have played over those. I honestly believe they will mercy rule all the teams they play, including Conway and NLR.

Offline Earl is my Hero!!

• Head Coach
  • Wake me up when football starts again...
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 03:10:45 pm »
I stand by this statement.

In high school AND college

Online Almatrackster

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 04:18:02 pm »
And the pros. By default.

Offline OPoraquê

• Starter
    • A-B-P Ministries
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 05:42:20 pm »
Lol.

Here’s a highly mentally diminished fool’s effort to contribute O’Porky-esque useless trivia to the discussion:

Brandon Allen went on to wed (or at least was engaged) to a young lady that was a cheerleader for said 2010 Tigers. I have to give BA credit, this young lady was not only one of the prettiest young women I have ever met, but she was also one of the sharpest and smartest. Young lady could do anything she put her mind to doing.

How’s that for useless trivia??

Good one.  Hope that kid is investing their money (he's been paid about $2 million to mainly
carry a clipboard) wisely and becomes a great coach someday.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:43:55 pm by OPoraquê »

Offline Baitshop

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • Pretentious Illiterate
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 08:40:57 pm »
Honestly, I don’t think anyone knows. They still have not faced the toughest teams. How will Bryant react when they are actually challenged and have to play 4 quarters??

I guess that we will find out if Bryant can play for 4 quarters, because THE Southside Mavericks are rolling into Bryant next Friday night...

Offline Primetime17

• Water Boy
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 07:05:14 am »
After seeing Conway beat Cabot like they did, I’m anxious to see Conway vs Bryant.

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 07:06:18 am »
I guess that we will find out if Bryant can play for 4 quarters, because THE Southside Mavericks are rolling into Bryant next Friday night...

Except for last years Salt Bowl every game Bryant has been in the last couple of years has gone for a full 4 quarters. All kidding aside you know those young men can go a full 4 quarters if needed. It won't be needed.

Offline RiverRunner02

• Water Boy
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 01:11:26 pm »
MaxPreps currently has Bryant ranked at #16 in the national rankings. This is the highest ranking an Arkansas school has had in a while at this point in the season to my knowledge. They are however not ranked in the Xcellent 25 rankings

Offline businesstron

• Starter
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 04:19:06 pm »
They are simply a machine right now.  Basically unchallenged every night.  To here, you can easily compare them to the Springdale 2005 team.

Are we watching history?

They need to be marketed more.    Even though i watched one game I left half way through because they were up so much.   The only takeaways I got was....

1. The QB is good.
2. Their running back reminds me of Christian Okoye.
3. One of their linebackers is big time. 
4. Their lines are big.

When they do meet NLR and or Bentonville it's a good chance they'll beat them.  The only question is by how much.     All that sounds solid right now but I remember Bentonville's  2011 and 2012 teams looking dang near unbeatable until Fayetteville beat them both years.

Offline Sweet Feet

• Water Boy
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 02:24:58 pm »
 The LRSD failing has been the biggest blessing to Benton, Bryant, and NLR. These schools are thriving with Little Rock players. Before the collapse, these players would've likely been going to LRCH, which is why the 2003 central team has been the best team in Arkansas for the past 25 years.

That said, Bryant very well could be the best team since that legendary springdale team. None of the west teams since then has had this amount of talent. Great system, but not talent.

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
  • Greenwood Bulldogs!
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 04:20:01 pm »
I saw the 05 Springdale team 3 times, only saw Bryant once. I don't think Bryant is on that level. They are dang good though...04 Central was good as well.

Offline High Voltage

• 2nd String
  • Greenwood Bulldogs!
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 04:20:51 pm »
What, I didn't think the AAA let teams have bye weeks after week #2?

Offline Razorback Red

• Starter
  • BHS Grad- class of 95
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 08:35:10 pm »
I hate comparing teams from different years.  I don't think it's fair to Bryant.  They appear to be the clear favorite this season, but there's a lot of work to do.  I'm guessing NLR, Conway or Bentonville would love to hoist that trophy. 

I watched 04 Central, 05 SHS and all of the great FHS and BHS teams.  Can't wait to see Bryant this year.  I'll hold my opinion until Dec if they go 13-0. 

Offline Rayburn

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 11:45:49 pm »
There have been a few teams since 2005 better than Springdale. That 05 Springdale team wasn't as good as LR Central 03 or 04.

As far as 7A being as strong as then, 05 was one of the weakest in recent memory. They beat West Memphis for the state championship, a team that would be 6A the next season, and was playing with 6A numbers at the time.

Let's also not forget that the AHSAA broke all its own rules and precedent that year. It was Har-Ber's first year with a team, and AHSAA did not require players to adhere to district boundaries.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:51:27 pm by Rayburn »

Offline DerekOxford

• Starter
  • Follow me on Twitter @derekosports
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 08:48:54 am »
There have been a few teams since 2005 better than Springdale. That 05 Springdale team wasn't as good as LR Central 03 or 04.

As far as 7A being as strong as then, 05 was one of the weakest in recent memory. They beat West Memphis for the state championship, a team that would be 6A the next season, and was playing with 6A numbers at the time.

Let's also not forget that the AHSAA broke all its own rules and precedent that year. It was Har-Ber's first year with a team, and AHSAA did not require players to adhere to district boundaries.

This is all accurate, but Springdale 2005 was still pretty freaking good. 564-118 and they mercy ruled basically every single opponent.

Offline Rob Van Winkle

• 2nd String
  • My best ain't as good as it once was.......
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 09:12:08 am »

Actually Harber's first year of varsity football wasn't until 2006. They did field a JV team in 05, but did not have varsity so that is the reason the players were allowed to play their senior year at SHS.

Offline DerekOxford

• Starter
  • Follow me on Twitter @derekosports
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 10:14:17 am »
Actually Harber's first year of varsity football wasn't until 2006. They did field a JV team in 05, but did not have varsity so that is the reason the players were allowed to play their senior year at SHS.

Also accurate.

Offline Rob Van Winkle

• 2nd String
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 10:39:42 am »
This is all accurate, but Springdale 2005 was still pretty freaking good. 564-118 and they mercy ruled basically every single opponent.

When you mercy rule Shreveport Evangel and Jenks you are pretty freaking good!

Offline Rayburn

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 02:28:43 pm »
Actually, they only had a JV team in 05 precisely BECAUSE they wanted to let the kids in Harber's district play for Springdale, and the AHSAA allowed it against its own rules.

Heritage and Bentonville West fielded varsity teams their first year.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:31:19 pm by Rayburn »

Offline Rob Van Winkle

• 2nd String
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 04:16:14 pm »
Actually, they only had a JV team in 05 precisely BECAUSE they wanted to let the kids in Harber's district play for Springdale, and the AHSAA allowed it against its own rules.

Heritage and Bentonville West fielded varsity teams their first year.
I don't disagree with you and that is exactly why it was done that way.

When BVW opened, the players that lived in the West district were allowed to either go to West or to BV during the first year West had varsity football and that is why they had no, or almost no, seniors on their roster in 2016 because that senior class was allowed to choose which school to attend.

Offline LH_DAD

• 2nd String
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 06:51:24 pm »
I hate comparing teams from different years.  I don't think it's fair to Bryant.  They appear to be the clear favorite this season, but there's a lot of work to do.  I'm guessing NLR, Conway or Bentonville would love to hoist that trophy. 

I watched 04 Central, 05 SHS and all of the great FHS and BHS teams.  Can't wait to see Bryant this year.  I'll hold my opinion until Dec if they go 13-0.
Isn't that what the thread is about though? Comparison?

Offline Justlikegoodfootball

• Water Boy
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2019, 06:20:03 am »
Would have loved to see this matchup. Ive watched both and want to say they are 2 different teams but in reality both did what they wanted when they had the ball. Both teams have a solid defense. Both teams are well coached and disciplined. I guess whoever comes up with the best game plan is who I feel would win. Gus was an absolute freak when it came to preparations for a game. He demanded a lot from staff and players. I would give Springdale a slight edge with Damian Williams being the deciding factor. His yards gained after the catch were incredible.

Online AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
  • Storm into the party like my name was El Nino
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2019, 08:57:56 pm »
Bloodbath.

Offline OPoraquê

• Starter
    • A-B-P Ministries
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2019, 09:37:59 pm »
Bloodbath.

Same could be said for tonight's game at Harmon Field.

Online PA Dad

• Assistant Coach
  • Credit to the man in the arena
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2019, 12:00:57 am »
Although I’m a NLR alum, after tonight I don’t think NLR will challenge Bryant this year.  Mitchell has done a very good job at NLR, but a loss to Catholic forebodes a thrashing by Bryant.

And I don’t think Bentonville can handle Bryant either.

Offline Baitshop

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • Pretentious Illiterate
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2019, 12:08:17 am »

Yep.....they can play 4 quarters.  😕

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2019, 07:52:16 am »
Bryant's second string scored in the third and our third sting scored in the forth. I don't know if SS had their starters in all of the second half but they did not score against the second and third teamers in the second half. Big difference between the teams in number of kids standing along the sidelines.

Does anybody send their bands to away games anymore????

Online Almatrackster

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2019, 08:36:40 am »
Bryant's second string scored in the third and our third sting scored in the forth. I don't know if SS had their starters in all of the second half but they did not score against the second and third teamers in the second half. Big difference between the teams in number of kids standing along the sidelines.

Does anybody send their bands to away games anymore????

Alma’s goes to every away game.

Offline noonerricky

• 2nd String
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2019, 10:16:02 pm »
Bryant is a great team. As good as Springdale was? I don't know. They don't use all the fancy plays I remember from Gus, but they seem to play a very solid game. Defense and offense. Their only shortfall is unnecessary penalties but they have played over those. I honestly believe they will mercy rule all the teams they play, including Conway and NLR.

I completely agree. I watched this team play 2 weeks ago. They do not have many weaknesses. Offensively they aren’t as good as the Springdale team but defensively they are. I could see Bentonville giving them a fight but nobody else has a chance.

Offline Yellowcake

• 2nd String
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 09:26:39 pm »
I completely agree. I watched this team play 2 weeks ago. They do not have many weaknesses. Offensively they aren’t as good as the Springdale team but defensively they are. I could see Bentonville giving them a fight but nobody else has a chance.

I will be surprised if Bentonville stays within 20. Bryant is the best I have seen in many many moons here in Arkansas.

Offline noonerricky

• 2nd String
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 08:07:30 pm »
I will be surprised if Bentonville stays within 20. Bryant is the best I have seen in many many moons here in Arkansas.

I agree.

Offline LH_DAD

• 2nd String
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 08:20:12 pm »
Maybe, but it's all speculation at this point and there is still 30% of the regular season remaining.  Have you watched Bentonville play this year?  I have watched every game, but have not seen Bryant.

Offline trevster10

• Head Coach
  • Go Big Blue!
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 08:41:36 pm »
Yes

Offline LH_DAD

• 2nd String
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 09:15:05 pm »
Yes
Yes?  You have seen Bentonville play or that Bryant will win by 20 points?

Offline IAFLAR7

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 09:16:27 pm »
All this is lining up really nice for Bentonville.

Offline businesstron

• Starter
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2019, 10:18:19 am »
Maybe, but it's all speculation at this point and there is still 30% of the regular season remaining.  Have you watched Bentonville play this year?  I have watched every game, but have not seen Bryant.

Here you go.  Here's one to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjVVf59ncjU

They have quite a few of their full games on youtube.

Offline Lumberjackfan1978

• All Star
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2019, 07:14:17 pm »

Name Them

Offline LH_DAD

• 2nd String
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2019, 04:08:31 am »
Here you go.  Here's one to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjVVf59ncjU

They have quite a few of their full games on youtube.
OK, thanks for the link.  My comment was not a slight of Bryant's ability.  They obviously have a very good team.  Nobody knows how injuries and other issues might have an effect on any team.  Still gotta play the games left.  This time last year there were plenty of people saying that nobody would beat NLR. 

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2019, 08:24:23 am »
NLR was not mercy ruling everyone and except for Fayetteville, at Fayetteville, we have had a 35 point lead before halftime. We still have Cabot, NLR and Conway to go in conference. Possible two of the three toughest conference games to go. I'll agree we can't crown Bryant yet but they are surely looking the part at this time.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center