Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Wednesday, January 29th, 2020.
Jonesboro Westside's Logan McPherson is Week 8 Player of the Week
Strong's Derrion Davis named Fearless Friday Player of the Week
Last week was our last week of Thursday Night televised games. Thanks for watching. Contact Lanny if your team wants on TV next season.
Conference season is underway. Be sure to check the Standings tab.
The season nears and we have you covered with the new look Fearless Friday Home Page. Forums remain the same.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board

Author Topic: Mountain Home  (Read 11183 times)

Offline SEClion

• Band Nerd
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: Mountain Home
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2019, 03:24:11 pm »
The Baxter bulletin says Dec 24th in the report and thereís a bunch of comments about this being done on Christmas Eve?  I donít see all of those people being wrong.  Iíve heard Mattox asked for it to be moved to another date and the school said no.  Regardless, this doesnít send a very good message to coaches who might think about a job in that district.

He was told in November that he was going to be reassigned, he informed board that he was going to appeal, and December 23rd was the first time they could schedule their attorneys together to meet. It also had to be completed before the Spring semester starts on January 6th. 

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2019, 03:34:25 pm »
My understanding is that the superintendent recommended termination not reassignment?  Do you know if that is true?  If so he would have been facing a large loss of income and probably felt he had to fight it and is probably why so many people are upset.  I doubt there was a hearing over reassignment, I donít think you can appeal reassignment but could be wrong.

Offline SEClion

• Band Nerd
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2019, 03:42:17 pm »
My understanding is that the superintendent recommended termination not reassignment?  Do you know if that is true?  If so he would have been facing a large loss of income and probably felt he had to fight it and is probably why so many people are upset.  I doubt there was a hearing over reassignment, I donít think you can appeal reassignment but could be wrong.

He was relieved as HC and his teaching assignment was reassigned to different school.   

Offline sevenof400

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Head Coach
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2019, 09:49:42 am »
He was told in November that he was going to be reassigned, he informed board that he was going to appeal, and December 23rd was the first time they could schedule their attorneys together to meet. It also had to be completed before the Spring semester starts on January 6th.

Why?

Can you be more specific on this? 

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2020, 10:10:17 pm »
Good question seven, I donít know why it would have to be done by that date.
The rumors Iíve heard is that Brian lost all extended contract days and his stipend.  He is going to get teaching pay with nothing extra.  Thatís not reassignment and explains why there was a hearing.  Not sure what the stipend is or how many days the head coach gets up there. 

Offline Rick Swines

• 2nd String
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2020, 11:21:16 pm »
Unless he did something unethical or illegal I dont think they can legally take away his days and stipend.

Let's talk about Mt. Home football. I dont know the coach at all. But I did watch Mt. Home vs nettleton in 2017 and I felt terrible for the coach. There wasnt 1 athlete that would start on that nettleton team from mt. Home. I understand it's the coaches job to develop the athletes but it was his first year. A great coach (I'm talking top 20 in the state) would take at least 5 years to get it going there. And then he would need every ball bounce his way.

Offline OB11

• All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2020, 01:56:57 pm »
I have no knowledge of the coach or situation there with the high school. But I do know one thing that might help with the program as a whole is getting the jr. high team into a conference.

They currently do not belong to a jr. high football conference and are having to schedule whoever will play them. It is my understanding that the jr. high team only played one home game this past season. Can anyone confirm that? Not sure how easy it is to keep kids in the program when you're only playing at home one time a season. As bad as the sr. high team has been, it all starts in the lower grades. Got to establish a program from elementary through 12th grade to be successful.

Offline Dayton Kitchens

• Starter
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2020, 05:01:49 pm »
I was interviewed for the defensive coordinator position there several years ago.   Back when that new coach from I think Colorado was coming.   Interview for me went badly when I told him I thought his defensive secondary use of a sophisticated rotating zone was too complex for high school students.

Still the community is very nice.

Offline Made

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2020, 07:09:52 pm »
What is this ď sophisticated rotating zoneĒ it could be the next big evolution in football.

Offline Dayton Kitchens

• Starter
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2020, 08:35:50 pm »
What is this “ sophisticated rotating zone” it could be the next big evolution in football.

I mean "sophisticated" from the perspective of high school football players.   I was surprised to see the coach's ideas on it as I had only seen it used by pro football teams and major NCAA programs before.    I believe in keeping things as simple as possible.

Offline youhavenoidea

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2020, 07:44:53 am »
I mean "sophisticated" from the perspective of high school football players.   I was surprised to see the coach's ideas on it as I had only seen it used by pro football teams and major NCAA programs before.    I believe in keeping things as simple as possible.
So like cover 2 or cover 3 "Roll"?!  The passing game/ RPO game of High School offenses has gotten too advanced for simple

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2020, 07:36:12 am »
OB11.  Them not being in a jr high conference points toward the overall problem which is no support for the program.  I know a lot of coaches that have been there in the past and currently, and they all say the same thing about lack of support.  Thatís been true for a long time up there.  Iíve heard some sad accounts of what the staff has to deal with, to many to post but I will list a few. Mattox had to recruit teachers to fill the coaching staff because the district was trying to save money by not replacing teachers that were leaving.  Some coaches didnít want to Coach but did it to help Brian.  Mattox tried to bring in 2 coordinators when he got hired and was shut down.  The football coaches teach main subjects and many are asked to coach on their prep period.  Coaches  are often called to drive a bus route and have to miss practice.  A lot of the weight equipment is outdated/busted.  The pay is not competitive to other 6A schools.  That is not a recipe for success. 
I hope the support will improve for the kids involved.

Offline Jranbo1212

• Water Boy
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2020, 10:00:17 am »
OB11.  Them not being in a jr high conference points toward the overall problem which is no support for the program.  I know a lot of coaches that have been there in the past and currently, and they all say the same thing about lack of support.  Thatís been true for a long time up there.  Iíve heard some sad accounts of what the staff has to deal with, to many to post but I will list a few. Mattox had to recruit teachers to fill the coaching staff because the district was trying to save money by not replacing teachers that were leaving.  Some coaches didnít want to Coach but did it to help Brian.  Mattox tried to bring in 2 coordinators when he got hired and was shut down.  The football coaches teach main subjects and many are asked to coach on their prep period.  Coaches  are often called to drive a bus route and have to miss practice.  A lot of the weight equipment is outdated/busted.  The pay is not competitive to other 6A schools.  That is not a recipe for success. 
I hope the support will improve for the kids involved.

Exactly. They have to at least pretend like they care about the football program before they will have a chance. They have to give them all the tools they need to succeed in order to give them a chance to move in the right direction

Offline OB11

• All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2020, 10:17:29 am »
Exactly. They have to at least pretend like they care about the football program before they will have a chance. They have to give them all the tools they need to succeed in order to give them a chance to move in the right direction

But will they do that? From what I've read and what's being reported, the admin at MH is saying the right things. But will they actually make the changes in order for the football program to be successful? Or will it be more of the same?

Offline Jranbo1212

• Water Boy
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2020, 11:17:17 am »
But will they do that? From what I've read and what's being reported, the admin at MH is saying the right things. But will they actually make the changes in order for the football program to be successful? Or will it be more of the same?

In my opinion, more of the same. Until they actually make those moves I wonít believe it. You wonít get good coaches in there until you you set them up for success

Offline Bomberman

• 2nd String
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2020, 01:40:39 pm »
Here is the complete list of applicants and their current positions, as provided by Mountain Home High School.

Nathan Adams Ė Varsity Assistant Coach Harding Academy

Steve Ary Ė Currently Freshman Head Coach at Harrison, form West Plains Head Coach

Vander Bowden Ė Southwest Baptist University Defensive Line Coach

Brian Brown Ė Head Football Coach at Smackover

Danny Davis Ė Head Football Coach and Assistant Athletic Director at Dakota College at Bottineau, ND

Tyler Dorton Ė Currently Volunteer Offensive Analyst for Varsity Defensive Coordinator at Fayetteville High School, High School Offensive Coordinator/QBs at Ada High School, Okla.

Erik Gibson Ė Assistant Football Coach at Union Country School District

Philip Goodwin Ė Assistant Football Coach at Mountain Home

Bryan Harris Ė Assistant Junior High Football Coach at Mountain Home

Robert Henderson Ė Senior High Defensive Run Game Coordinator/Junior High DC at Nashville

Trey LaValle-Assistant Coach/Offensive Coordinator at Magnolia

Justin Mackey Ė Coach at Lafayette School District

Barry Marton Ė High School Defensive Coordinator at Antioch High

Tommy Miller Ė High School Offensive Coordinator/QB’s, Strength & Conditioning Coordinator, Safeties Coach and Interim Coach at Collierville High School

Christopher Norton -Head Coach at Perryville High School

Todd Scott Ė Offensive Coordinator at Dumas

Brett Shrable Ė High School Defensive Coordinator at Blytheville

Kolby Tackett Ė Head Coach at Mount Dora Christian Academy

Deonta Wade Ė High School Defensive Coordinator at Parsons High School

David Wheeler Ė High School Defensive Coordinator at Bentonville West High School

Richard Vanhook Ė Head Coach at Augusta Christian Ė Martinez, GA from June 2018-Dec. 2019

Offline Bomberman

• 2nd String
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2020, 01:42:55 pm »
The candidates receiving interviews are: Ary, Goodwin, Wheeler, Kolby Tackett and Trey LaValle.

Offline ArkansasSportsFan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 09:57:00 am »
The candidates receiving interviews are: Ary, Goodwin, Wheeler, Kolby Tackett and Trey LaValle.

I think Ary would be a heck of a hire.

Offline hogalum05

• Water Boy
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2020, 09:57:44 am »
Patrick, Mahan, Joyce.. they all got a budget and was able to hire some of their own coaches. Think Maddox was set up to fail?? Hmmm... If the Sups brother-in-law or friend at Harrison gets it youíd see the coach get whatever he wants.

Offline Sporty

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2020, 11:25:03 am »
Didn't Mt. Home play for a State Championship several years ago? What year was that?

Offline Rick Swines

• 2nd String
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2020, 11:38:00 am »
Why did ary leave west plains? He is a great coach. It's his job if he wants it.

Offline Bomberman

• 2nd String
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2020, 12:34:00 pm »
Didn't Mt. Home play for a State Championship several years ago? What year was that?

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2020, 01:04:33 pm »
Iím told Ary retired from Missouri after he became fully vested there and now he wants to get his 5 years in Arkansas.   The rumor is MH was holding teaching positions for Ary and his staff while Mattox and his guys were being stretched thin.  If true, thatís not fair to the players, current staff, or Mattox and will look pretty bad on the district if it plays out that way.  This has been rumored at MH since last year. 

Offline hogalum05

• Water Boy
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2020, 08:03:26 pm »
Iím told Ary retired from Missouri after he became fully vested there and now he wants to get his 5 years in Arkansas.   The rumor is MH was holding teaching positions for Ary and his staff while Mattox and his guys were being stretched thin.  If true, thatís not fair to the players, current staff, or Mattox and will look pretty bad on the district if it plays out that way.  This has been rumored at MH since last year. 

Yes this is what I was talking about. This hire was in the works a long time ago. Just hate it for Maddox. You can give me all the stats you want but if your given a job to do you should get a fair chance to do it. Iíve even commented before that Iím not sure he was the ďHC typeĒ.  Regardless, he loves the kids and is  a good ambassador for the school and community. He deserved better..

Offline shadiest_mouse

• Band Nerd
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2020, 09:53:13 pm »
Hate it for a guy to be out in a situation like that if all said above is true. BUT Ary seems like a good choice if he does fill the post. Established coach with a history of success. And has been able to help develop Harrison into a perennial 5A monster

Offline ArkansasSportsFan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2020, 08:37:31 am »
Hate it for a guy to be out in a situation like that if all said above is true. BUT Ary seems like a good choice if he does fill the post. Established coach with a history of success. And has been able to help develop Harrison into a perennial 5A monster

Wasn't Ary only at Harrison this year?

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2020, 01:06:41 pm »
Ary is in his first year at Harrison as the head freshman coach.  I believe he was over 3 different programs in Missouri and had pretty good success.  He  won some conference championships from what Iíve read.  Iíve heard the schools he coached at were pretty small like 2A or 3A.  Not sure if that is accurate or not.
It sounds like Mattox had 80 kids in offseason when he left so Ary will walk into good numbers.  I still think MH needs someone to stay 5-10 years and build it.  Most people I talk to say thatís what Mattox was doing.  Hopefully Ary is as good as advertised and this move will pay off for the bombers.   

Offline B2 Stealth Bomber

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2020, 10:28:08 pm »

Offline MHFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2020, 09:20:24 am »
I wish him the best.  This is a crazy place to live.  Great fishing and hunting, awesome people.  Bizarre school system and even more bizarre sports programs throughout.  Don't even ask me to explain.  You just have to live here to understand but definitely a grave yard for athletes.  Wouldn't trade it for another place but if had it to do again would have probably looked into to Christian private school in town.  Hind sight 20/20

Offline Mainiac

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2020, 02:52:26 pm »

All that said in this thread is not true.  Not even good spin or good rumor.  Mostly sour grapes and tinfoil hat conspiracy.

Kids are stoked and ready for the drama to end.

Offline Rick Swines

• 2nd String
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2020, 07:49:48 pm »
An absolute home run hire. I'm not sure he can turn my. Home around but he will have them playing hard.

Offline MHFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2020, 09:22:27 am »
Don't know anything other than what I have read on coach but think he needs our support.  Good luck in up coming year.  He looks like a no non sense old fashioned coach and I like that.  Most important for the parents with kids on team to support him whole heartedly.  It will be in the best interest of your child.

Offline MHFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2020, 09:24:22 am »
Almost forgot.  To keep this post going for the Spring.  Ryan Mallot moving to MH?  Could be just rumor but I think it has some bones.

Offline Bomber_Believer

• 2nd String
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2020, 11:16:17 am »
What would bring Ryan to MH? 

Offline MHFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2020, 12:13:43 pm »
I heard his wife/fiancťe coming to work in MH as doctor. 

Offline hogalum05

• Water Boy
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2020, 01:20:37 pm »
All that said in this thread is not true.  Not even good spin or good rumor.  Mostly sour grapes and tinfoil hat conspiracy.

Kids are stoked and ready for the drama to end.
I can assure you, Iím to old for rumors and donít have patience for fake news. But  my way of thinking is becoming archaic. See I also believe in treating people with honesty and integrity. Sup all the way down. I know of to many situations around the state where Teachers/coaches are not getting this treatment. This is not college football!! HS should not be this cut-throat. These coaches canít just make way for the Supís buddy, pick up their family, move, and all is well. And no thatís not what they signed up for!! Cracks me up when I hear non-coaches say that line.

I hope the kids are ďstokedĒ and Ary needs and should get FULL support. He needs funds and a staff that is competitive .with those heís asked to beat. If A HC (Maddox) is given this then YES your job is on the line and, above all, is based on winning and losing. Last I heard they were trying to strip Maddox of ALL coaching duties and $$. At semester?? Really?  This is what Iím talking about..

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2020, 07:24:46 am »
I agree hogalum, Iíve talked to several people close to the situation and they all say the same thing.  That doesnít sound like made up gossip to me.  Yes, Iíve heard he is not coaching at all and lost the stipend and all extended contract days.  Iíve talked to some coaches up there that say he is losing about 20k from his salary simply for losing games...I didnít know a school could legally do that?  The faculty, kids, and community have supported Brian through it which is good to hear.  He is to good of a coach to not land on his feet.  A few years ago he had an undefeated jr. high football team and undefeated soccer team in the same year.  I think his soccer teams were in 5 state championship games and he had 2 undefeated jr. high football teams at MH.  That type of success is very uncommon at MH.  Someone will hire him and hit a homerun.   
MH can support Brian and Ary at the same time without picking sides.  Iím told Brian is encouraging people to get behind Ary and the kids.   Hopefully Ary will get supported and things will go well for them.   
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:49:23 am by Zoneblitz20 »

Offline Jranbo1212

• Water Boy
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2020, 09:44:19 am »
What would bring Ryan to MH?

You havenít heard about Malletís lawn care service?? MH is the perfect place for it to take off! I donít think him coming to MH is too far fetched!

Offline ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2020, 09:47:07 am »
You havenít heard about Malletís lawn care service?? MH is the perfect place for it to take off! I donít think him coming to MH is too far fetched!

Mallett, 2 ďtísĒ in Mallett.

Offline Jranbo1212

• Water Boy
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2020, 10:20:32 am »
Mallett, 2 ďtísĒ in Mallett.

Sorry! I was never a fan ;)

Offline LionX2

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2020, 03:56:09 pm »
I agree hogalum, Iíve talked to several people close to the situation and they all say the same thing.  That doesnít sound like made up gossip to me.  Yes, Iíve heard he is not coaching at all and lost the stipend and all extended contract days.  Iíve talked to some coaches up there that say he is losing about 20k from his salary simply for losing games...I didnít know a school could legally do that?  The faculty, kids, and community have supported Brian through it which is good to hear.  He is to good of a coach to not land on his feet.  A few years ago he had an undefeated jr. high football team and undefeated soccer team in the same year.  I think his soccer teams were in 5 state championship games and he had 2 undefeated jr. high football teams at MH.  That type of success is very uncommon at MH.  Someone will hire him and hit a homerun.   
MH can support Brian and Ary at the same time without picking sides.  Iím told Brian is encouraging people to get behind Ary and the kids.   Hopefully Ary will get supported and things will go well for them.

Itís not legal. If Mattox wanted to fight it he would win easily

Offline Cover 2

• Band Nerd
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2020, 05:20:55 pm »
All that is being discussed on this particular subject is tremendously inaccurate.  Both @Mainiac and @Bomber_Believer very politely, and correctly, mentioned this in several of their previous comments throughout this post. The former head coach was notified in November and was offered several other options.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:28:12 pm by Cover 2 »

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2020, 06:00:09 pm »
Every coach knows they can be reassigned but their pay cannot be cut.   Iím told he was terminated which cut his pay.  Termination is for coaches who have done something ethically wrong which isnít the case.  Ive head that he was given 2 options which were non-renewal or termination.  Both options were going to be a cut in pay and is why the hearing was requested.  The school should have just reassigned him if they wanted him out. 

Offline LionX2

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2020, 06:30:35 pm »
All that is being discussed on this particular subject is tremendously inaccurate.  Both @Mainiac and @Bomber_Believer very politely, and correctly, mentioned this in several of their previous comments throughout this post. The former head coach was notified in November and was offered several other options. He is the one who CHOSE to turn down those options and HE is the who demanded a meeting with Administration and the School Board. Again, as has been previously stated earlier in this thread, the earliest date that all schedules could line up was, unfortunately, December 23. Mattox was NOT told 2 days before Christmas that the District was moving in other directions--he knew this in early November.

--This is patently false. A public school system in the State of AR can reassign any coach for ANY reason and at ANY time (if remaining in the District, they do retain their same stipend and contract days). This is a fact. One can debate whether it "should be" that way until the cows come home, but the fact is that it is written into every public school coach's athletic contract. They are aware of this when they sign it.--

I agree hogalum, Iíve talked to several people close to the situation and they all say the same thing.  That doesnít sound like made up gossip to me.  Yes, Iíve heard he is not coaching at all and lost the stipend and all extended contract days.  Iíve talked to some coaches up there that say he is losing about 20k from his salary simply for losing games...I didnít know a school could legally do that? 

--This would mean that the former coach was getting paid about 20k just for coaching football and a 2nd sport? I'm sure there are several but how many schools who pay that for a football coach (and put it in the Public Record)?---also, his 2nd sport stipend did not make up the amount to reach 20k. Again, if the former coach is not coaching "at all and lost the stipend and all extended contract days" then that was HIS choice that he alone made in turning down other options.--

As another poster said, Coach Ary is a homerun hire. He and the entire program need the community's full support in order to turn the program around and build a successful future.

Yeah we all know he could be reassigned but they canít just cut his pay because he wasnít winning enough for them

Offline Cover 2

• Band Nerd
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2020, 06:34:06 pm »
n/a
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:27:14 pm by Cover 2 »

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2020, 07:06:52 pm »
If he was given the option for reassignment then why isnít that what happened?  If that is the case the hearing would have been a reassignment hearing and not a termination hearing. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:08:24 pm by Zoneblitz20 »

Offline Cover 2

• Band Nerd
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2020, 09:28:12 pm »
n/a
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:26:40 pm by Cover 2 »

Offline Zoneblitz20

• Water Boy
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2020, 09:44:57 pm »
The board minutes on the website say it was a termination hearing.  Sounds like someone is giving you some bad information. 

Offline Cover 2

• Band Nerd
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2020, 10:05:19 pm »
n/a
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:26:57 pm by Cover 2 »

Offline IMSwarmed

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2020, 10:35:50 pm »
I have seen school districts get in a world of trouble for not having their ducks in a row.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center