Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Monday, December 16th, 2019.
Jonesboro Westside's Logan McPherson is Week 8 Player of the Week
Strong's Derrion Davis named Fearless Friday Player of the Week
Last week was our last week of Thursday Night televised games. Thanks for watching. Contact Lanny if your team wants on TV next season.
Conference season is underway. Be sure to check the Standings tab.
The season nears and we have you covered with the new look Fearless Friday Home Page. Forums remain the same.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board

Author Topic: Trying to find what football stadium I passed. I was driving in the North Arkansas Hills  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
Hey, I know this is a long shot, but I am trying to figure out what football stadium I drove by years ago. We were driving from Conway headed to the north central part of the state, and I remember driving a 2 lane paved highway in the hills. All of a sudden we pass a football stadium that I don't know how they fitted it in there. It was very hilly, but a cool atmosphere. My best guess it was a 3A or below schools. Most likely a 2a. Ring a bell to anyone?

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
Hey, I know this is a long shot, but I am trying to figure out what football stadium I drove by years ago. We were driving from Conway headed to the north central part of the state, and I remember driving a 2 lane paved highway in the hills. All of a sudden we pass a football stadium that I don't know how they fitted it in there. It was very hilly, but a cool atmosphere. My best guess it was a 3A or below schools. Most likely a 2a. Ring a bell to anyone?

Highway #'s would help

Offline byvark

• Band Nerd
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Depending on your route, it could have been Marshall or Clinton up Highway 65, north of Van Buren it could have been Cedarville, or up old Highway 71 it could have been Mountainburg or Winslow.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
Depending on your route, it could have been Marshall or Clinton up Highway 65, north of Van Buren it could have been Cedarville, or up old Highway 71 it could have been Mountainburg or Winslow.

Clinton's isn't on the main highway, Marshall isn't real visible from the highway and is behind the school

Offline athletic supporter

• Assistant Coach
  • Red Devil Pride!!!
Quitman maybe

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
I know it's not Marshall or Clinton. I looked up some of these schools, and can't seem to find the fit. I know it was like just enough length of flat land to have a football field. Maybe like 130 yards long. One end was in the trees and the other butted up against the highway. Dang, I wish I could find it. It's been so long ago.

Offline football_referee

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Bench Warmer
  • First Down
    • RefStripes
Where was you headed from Conway? I know you said north central part but what town?

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach

Mountainburg's is one of my favorite small classification stadiums in the state.... They have done enough improvements to their facilities lately too that is it just perfect because it's not too flashy or over the top, but very nice by 2A standards. Plus some nice views never hurts either.

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
One of my favorites as well. 

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
Mountainburg's is one of my favorite small classification stadiums in the state.... They have done enough improvements to their facilities lately too that is it just perfect because it's not too flashy or over the top, but very nice by 2A standards. Plus some nice views never hurts either.

Was considering making the trip this year.....maybe Hector gives me hope enough to drive that far after the magazine game 🤷

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Was considering making the trip this year.....maybe Hector gives me hope enough to drive that far after the magazine game 🤷

Their new little facility the have behind their concession stand is super nice and then their new bleachers on the away side look nice. When they eventually do new home side bleachers that place is going to be hard to beat for a 2A stadium. Plus cheap concession stand food is hard to find and they got it as long as you don't stop at the Rudy truck stop first for those dang good chicken tenders!

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
Where was you headed from Conway? I know you said north central part but what town?

It was on a Boy Scout trip. I think we went to Cosmic Caverns up in Berryville.

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
Their new little facility the have behind their concession stand is super nice and then their new bleachers on the away side look nice. When they eventually do new home side bleachers that place is going to be hard to beat for a 2A stadium. Plus cheap concession stand food is hard to find and they got it as long as you don't stop at the Rudy truck stop first for those dang good chicken tenders!

Named the new facilities after long-time coaches Chris Nolen and Tom Harrell.  Classy move. 

Offline tmycjy

• Official FF 5A Predictions Expert
  • Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • Go Wynne Yellow Jackets Go The Delta Swarm
Were you on the interstate if you were then it could have been clarksville

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
That would bring the following routes/roads into play (see below).
Driving a 2 lane road north from Conway describes the US 65 of not that long ago. 
Taking into account this may have been years ago, not only did Marshall come to mind but also Valley Springs.

Did you see a drive in theatre nearby too? 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:53:55 pm by sevenof400 »

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
I can't find a picture of Valley Springs. For sure I know it wasn't Marshall. Like I said here is what i remember.

1. This school was on the side of a hill sorta.
2. This school had just enough flat ground for a football field. Maybe like 130 yards long.
3. Was surrounded by trees and didn't have wide open views.
4. Had to be a small school. Was out in the middle of know where by a two lane road. Much less traveled than the one by Marshall.

Offline athletic supporter

• Assistant Coach
  • Red Devil Pride!!!
Valley Springs doesn't play football. Maybe Green Forest?

Offline Ice Water

• Bench Warmer
This doesnít fit the description of your route from Conway to Berryville, but your description of the stadium sounds similar to the old field at Ola on Highway 10.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Are you sure you weren't seeing the infield around the track at Eureka Springs... I used to love running track meets there. It's not a football field, but it is in the woods near Berryville. Was there a track?

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
Are you sure you weren't seeing the infield around the track at Eureka Springs... I used to love running track meets there. It's not a football field, but it is in the woods near Berryville. Was there a track?

Ooooo that one looks pretty close, but I do remember yellow field goal posts.

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer
  • And Whals, and beaverfan007
Ooooo that one looks pretty close, but I do remember yellow field goal posts.

4 Places it could be:

Old Goblin Stadium on Crooked Creek

The Valley Springs Baseball Field. It fits the description. You can see the lights from the Highway but can't see the field.

Dover's football field. It is visible from Highway 7. Similar set up, in the hillside.

Marshall's football field. It used to have several pine trees around it, they've probably died by now.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
4 Places it could be:

Old Goblin Stadium on Crooked Creek

The Valley Springs Baseball Field. It fits the description. You can see the lights from the Highway but can't see the field.

Dover's football field. It is visible from Highway 7. Similar set up, in the hillside.

Marshall's football field. It used to have several pine trees around it, they've probably died by now.

I am starting to believe you are right and he was seeing this from Hwy 7

Offline Almatrackster

• Hall of Famer
This is a bigger mystery than whether Jon Gruden was in Fayetteville.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
Never thought about dover's field ...it is squeezed in there between the hill, a neighborhood, and the school

Offline friscokid

• Bench Warmer
  • AR born. AR bred. Two out of three ain't bad.
Doverís field is a block off Highway 7 and not directly visible from the highway, but you might be able to see a sliver of it as the road curves sharp left.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
Doverís field is a block off Highway 7 and not directly visible from the highway, but you might be able to see a sliver of it as the road curves sharp left.

Meh I drive by it everyday...You can spot it down the side streets if ya know when to look

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Since we are getting stalled out here this isn't the topic... But what is some of you all's favorite places to watch a game and also your least favorite and why?

Least favorite- got to go with Greenland and Gentry, its not that they are really that bad of set ups just there is some bad energy that I just can't pin point. There is some sort of negative orb in those places that creates some bad juju!!

Most favorite- Gravette when they have a good team their atmosphere is nice, Booneville, Ozark, Mountainburg

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
Least favorite:  Decatur.   No crowd, no energy.  So far away for conference games that our crowd was sparce as well.  50 fans on the home side and 50 on the away side make for very little energy.  (Yet, one of my favorite Rattler football memories occurred there.  Decatur punted in wet, muddy conditions.  The punt hit at about the 5 yard line and died about one foot from the goal line.  Michael Corbitt pulls from the fullback and races 99 yards for a TD.  Of course, it is tied for the longest run in history.)

For view:  Magazine and Hartford.  Spectacular views of mountains from the field, concession stand, stands, etc. 

Atmosphere:  Magazine at Danville, Danville at Magazine, Magazine over Danville at WMS;  Booneville playoff games or rivalry games.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
Least Favorite....Mansfield...Visitor stands are so far off the field that you were in the nosebleeds in the front row....or they were back in 2006.

View....Now Rattler I'm kinda partial to the view of white oak mountain at Hector...Or maybe even Nebo at Dardanelle field 😁 even though I did snap a picture at magazine last year cause that is a fantastic view of the field with the mountain back drop.

Best Atmosphere: Morrilton, seems like their crowd is always loud and just a good place to watch a ballgame.

Individual games? Hector @ Harding Academy 06. Strong at Magazine 2010...Maybe it was more of the onfield action that night as the eventual state champs escaped the Kenneth Dixon show....But all-time Hector @ Rison, forget the year, but Tanner Gaines threw for 400 yards in a loss, and it felt like our crowd was gonna go threw those wooden bleachers, whole crowd was rocking that night.

Honorable mention: Magazine vs Danville at WMS....it was fun to watch the Rattlers throttle the Little Johns...and Danville quitting on that backwards pass that turned scoop and score just opened the flood gates that day..

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
Least Favorite....Mansfield...Visitor stands are so far off the field that you were in the nosebleeds in the front row....or they were back in 2006.  Agreed

View....Now Rattler I'm kinda partial to the view of white oak mountain at Hector...Or maybe even Nebo at Dardanelle field 😁 even though I did snap a picture at magazine last year cause that is a fantastic view of the field with the mountain back drop.  Again, good stuff.

Best Atmosphere: Morrilton, seems like their crowd is always loud and just a good place to watch a ballgame.

Individual games? Hector @ Harding Academy 06. Strong at Magazine 2010...Maybe it was more of the onfield action that night as the eventual state champs escaped the Kenneth Dixon show....But all-time Hector @ Rison, forget the year, but Tanner Gaines threw for 400 yards in a loss, and it felt like our crowd was gonna go threw those wooden bleachers, whole crowd was rocking that night.  (back in the late 90s and early 2000s, I always cheered Hector in the playoffs. They represented our conference so well.)  BTW, I still cheer on all conference teams during playoffs.

Honorable mention: Magazine vs Danville at WMS....it was fun to watch the Rattlers throttle the Little Johns...and Danville quitting on that backwards pass that turned scoop and score just opened the flood gates that day..     Maybe my all-time favorite Rattler football memory!

Now you've got me reminiscing again....

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Good stuff .... I have been to the places you two have listed as well except Morrilton. I may have to go sometime now.

Offline tmycjy

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach

I think I got the school I think it was Hector High School

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
I think I got the school I think it was Hector High School

He was lost if he seen Hector's field, and it's not squeezed into any mountains

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer
He was lost if he seen Hector's field, and it's not squeezed into any mountains

I've played, coached, or attended a game at every field in the 4-2A, 1-4A, 1-3A, and 4-4A along with towns like Harrison and Clarksville that play those teams non conference. The only one that vaguely fits his description is Dover. Most of the fields are so far off the main road they couldn't even be considered.

Offline tmycjy

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
I've played, coached, or attended a game at every field in the 4-2A, 1-4A, 1-3A, and 4-4A along with towns like Harrison and Clarksville that play those teams non conference. The only one that vaguely fits his description is Dover. Most of the fields are so far off the main road they couldn't even be considered.

I was think the though it was between mountain

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer
I was think the though it was between mountain

Hector, Dover, Marshall, Dardanelle and Pottsville have some amazing views as the sun sets over the mountains around them.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
Hector, Dover, Marshall, Dardanelle and Pottsville have some amazing views as the sun sets over the mountains around them.

I forgot about Pottsville field with the view of crow mountain(possibly nebo too?, It's been a while since I've been there)

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer
I forgot about Pottsville field with the view of crow mountain(possibly nebo too?, It's been a while since I've been there)

Depends on the sideline. It's Crow if you're on the visitor. Never been on the home side.

Offline Radiotalker

• All Star
  • 2009 & 2012 Pickems Champion, 2010 Runner-up
Batesville Southside

Offline TheVille

• Water Boy
I feel like this is probably a stadium that no longer exists.

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
I think I have given up hope. It's been so long. I do know for a fact this has to be most likely a 1A or 2A school. Possibly 3A.

Offline Ice Water

• Bench Warmer
Are we sure it was between Conway and Berryville? Or should be expand our search a little bit?

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
Heres what I know for sure. I know its the upper part of the state above Little Rock, and safe to say above Conway. It's definitely west of 67 and 167.

Offline RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
I still think Dover best fits the description.  It may have looked a little different back then. But, it is right off the main highway behind some houses, I saw the goalposts and field from the main highway last week as I drove to Hector, it is on your way north, it is west of those highways, it is north of LR, and it looks like a tight fit in that little area back there.

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
I still think Dover best fits the description.  It may have looked a little different back then. But, it is right off the main highway behind some houses, I saw the goalposts and field from the main highway last week as I drove to Hector, it is on your way north, it is west of those highways, it is north of LR, and it looks like a tight fit in that little area back there.

Maybe so. I think they have done some updates though, and maybe did a little clearing of trees.

Offline Ice Water

• Bench Warmer
Hmm... well Ola is just on the fringe of what you remember location wise, but the field itself fits the description well. Have you double checked that one?

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
Hmm... well Ola is just on the fringe of what you remember location wise, but the field itself fits the description well. Have you double checked that one?

Squeezed in between the road and in a hole.... One of the few fields where it's up hill every way you leave

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!

Just checked it. Too far off the road. this one I remember was right off the road.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center