Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Thursday, November 21st, 2019.
Jonesboro Westside's Logan McPherson is Week 8 Player of the Week
Strong's Derrion Davis named Fearless Friday Player of the Week
Last week was our last week of Thursday Night televised games. Thanks for watching. Contact Lanny if your team wants on TV next season.
Conference season is underway. Be sure to check the Standings tab.
The season nears and we have you covered with the new look Fearless Friday Home Page. Forums remain the same.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board

Author Topic: Playing Varsity and JV  (Read 3230 times)

Offline bearshark93

• Band Nerd
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Playing Varsity and JV
« on: August 31, 2019, 08:07:05 pm »
What is AAA policy on a player being on both Varsity and JV? For instance, if a player is a backup for varsity would they still be eligable to start on JV? Or if a player plays one position on Varsity would they be able to be a backup at another on JV? I've tried finding any rules on this but I havent come away with anything.

Offline hsindian

• Bench Warmer
Re: Playing Varsity and JV
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 07:05:44 pm »
I don’t think jv is really AAA controlled. There are a lot of schools that play their underclassmen varsity on the jv. Gives them a little more playing time and a lot of 4A and lower schools don’t have enough kids for a full jv without playing them.

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 03:03:35 pm »
What is AAA policy on a player being on both Varsity and JV? For instance, if a player is a backup for varsity would they still be eligable to start on JV? Or if a player plays one position on Varsity would they be able to be a backup at another on JV? I've tried finding any rules on this but I havent come away with anything.

It would appear that any player who plays varsity competitions is not eligible to play JV competitions at all. At least according to page 51 of the AAA handbook.

Rule 2. VARSITY AND NON-VARSITY TEAMS.
A. A varsity team is a member school’s principal team. A school may have only one varsity team in each sport for each junior high, senior high, boys, girls, or coed.
B. Non-varsity teams are composed of students who do not participate in varsity games except as permitted under the basketball “five-quarter rule.”
C. AllmiddleschoolshavingaseparateAAAschoolmembe rshipmayplayinonetournamentthatdoes not count against the total number of allowable tournaments for a junior high in each team sport.
1. No middle school athlete may compete in more than three total tournaments including junior high
and middle school.
2. This includes the sports of volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, and soccer.

The only exception I can find is the “5 quarter” basketball rule. Now what is a AAA rule and what schools actually do are two different things.

Offline WHITEchicken

• Starter
  • Union County
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 03:12:40 pm »
Around here most teams play a 333 JV game after a varsity game. Since most teams don’t have 18 girls they play varsity girls out of position and normally don’t let them bat.

Offline BossBaby

• Cheerleader
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 07:20:03 am »
It would appear that any player who plays varsity competitions is not eligible to play JV competitions at all. At least according to page 51 of the AAA handbook.

Rule 2. VARSITY AND NON-VARSITY TEAMS.
A. A varsity team is a member school’s principal team. A school may have only one varsity team in each sport for each junior high, senior high, boys, girls, or coed.
B. Non-varsity teams are composed of students who do not participate in varsity games except as permitted under the basketball “five-quarter rule.”
C. AllmiddleschoolshavingaseparateAAAschoolmembe rshipmayplayinonetournamentthatdoes not count against the total number of allowable tournaments for a junior high in each team sport.
1. No middle school athlete may compete in more than three total tournaments including junior high
and middle school.
2. This includes the sports of volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, and soccer.

The only exception I can find is the “5 quarter” basketball rule. Now what is a AAA rule and what schools actually do are two different things.

As long as they aren't playing more than 5 quarters I don't think it matters. The reason a lot of JV games are played as two halves or one half. Kind of a grey area loop hole.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:23:24 am by BossBaby »

Offline LeftyWorld

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:19:33 pm »

As long as they aren't playing more than 5 quarters I don't think it matters. The reason a lot of JV games are played as two halves or one half. Kind of a grey area loop hole.

Correct. My point was that the only thing that I see that allows JV games for athletes who also play varsity competition is the basketball 5 quarter rule. The way it reads every other sports JV team must have players who don’t compete in a varsity level game. Maybe I’m missing something but that’s what I get out of it.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center