Author Topic: Opinion on 5A State  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Gametime11

• Water Boy
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Opinion on 5A State
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:19:37 am »
With most of us being stuck to one region or part of a conference, I would like to hear your opinions on 5A State. Who is the favorite? What #1 seed is most likely to lose first? Sleeper teams? And last but not least, what are going to be the grest games to watch? Please not only comment to these question, but feel free to add what you please and please keep it clean.

Offline KCShinn21

• Bench Warmer
Re: Opinion on 5A State
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:24:30 pm »
Siloam Springs has to be a favorite to repeat. They are playing very well right now as is Harrison. Greenwood has one of their best teams but I don't believe they have what it takes to make it through. Good luck to all of the 5A West teams.

Offline arksoc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:03:33 pm »
On the boys side, I would suggest that there are five teams that have at least a reasonable chance of winning the 5A. Siloam Springs (the only W or SW team with essentially a 1st round bye), Greenwood or Harrison (possibly a stretch) out of the West. CAC (facing a 1st round team that's already beaten them this season) or LRCA out of the Southwest. It's possible that Batesville could be a surprise out of the East, but even if they were to beat one West or Southwest team in the second round, I would think it highly unlikely they could do it two games in a row to reach the final. Sorry, Southeast fans, but I think you'll most likely all be done no later than the second round. Lakeside out of the Southwest or Greenbrier out of the West would be dark horse teams who could advance with an upset on Thursday. Either would have to bring their "A" game in the 1st and 3rd rounds to make the final, and apparently neither have been able to consistently do that even though both have played very well at times.

On the girls side, the overwhelming favorites have to be LRCA and Harrison. Harrison is obviously strong again and LRCA is as good or better than last year. These two should meet in Fayetteville again. CAC's only conference losses have come at the hands of LRCA, so they could have a chance to be very competitive in their bracket, as well. Zero chance of a Southeast team winning it. Don't know much about the East girls.

Of course, this is just speculation for fun. And, playing three games in three days (something no teams have probably done this year) could expose some weaknesses and make it more interesting. Lots of these teams can beat you any given day (especially among the W & SW boys). But who can do it three days in a row?

Offline hogbert

• Bench Warmer
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:10:56 am »
If LRC and Harrison girls play, it'll be on Saturday at Burns. They are on same side of the bracket. 
CAC should make it through their side, though I suppose Lakeside might have a shot. 

Offline Sir Alex

• 2nd String
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:59:59 pm »
If LRC and Harrison girls play, it'll be on Saturday at Burns. They are on same side of the bracket. 
CAC should make it through their side, though I suppose Lakeside might have a shot.
Greenbrier vs lakeside and cac vs greenwood will be good matches.  Lrca may have  drawn the toughest match playing Siloam Springs.  They just beat a quality 7a west team  3-0 and tied One of the favorites to advance far in the playoffs a few weeks back.  They are playing well at the right time.

Offline coach cleats

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 06:42:39 pm »
Let's see. Siloam tied fayetteville. Fayetteville beat conway and lost to bentonville 5-4 in pks. Tough first round match. I hope I get to see some of lrca vs ss on Thursday.

Offline arksoc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »

Uh, yeah. Good catch hogbert. That's kind of a shame. It may pay off for the CAC girls to get the #2 seed instead of #1 from the SW.

Offline Branden501

• Band Nerd
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 02:40:19 pm »
On the boys side, I would suggest that there are five teams that have at least a reasonable chance of winning the 5A. Siloam Springs (the only W or SW team with essentially a 1st round bye), Greenwood or Harrison (possibly a stretch) out of the West. CAC (facing a 1st round team that's already beaten them this season) or LRCA out of the Southwest. It's possible that Batesville could be a surprise out of the East, but even if they were to beat one West or Southwest team in the second round, I would think it highly unlikely they could do it two games in a row to reach the final. Sorry, Southeast fans, but I think you'll most likely all be done no later than the second round. Lakeside out of the Southwest or Greenbrier out of the West would be dark horse teams who could advance with an upset on Thursday. Either would have to bring their "A" game in the 1st and 3rd rounds to make the final, and apparently neither have been able to consistently do that even though both have played very well at times.

On the girls side, the overwhelming favorites have to be LRCA and Harrison. Harrison is obviously strong again and LRCA is as good or better than last year. These two should meet in Fayetteville again. CAC's only conference losses have come at the hands of LRCA, so they could have a chance to be very competitive in their bracket, as well. Zero chance of a Southeast team winning it. Don't know much about the East girls.

Of course, this is just speculation for fun. And, playing three games in three days (something no teams have probably done this year) could expose some weaknesses and make it more interesting. Lots of these teams can beat you any given day (especially among the W & SW boys). But who can do it three days in a row?

As a player for the Greenbrier Men's Team in 2012, that was by far one of the greatest moments of my life. We had played so inconsistent all year long, but we actually came together and made it to the semi-finals where we faced Siloam Springs.....needless to say we all know they went on to win it all haha. But still. I owe absolutely everything to our coach: Matt Page. He coaches Conway High School now and he turned Greenbrier's soccer program completely around. My junior year (2011) we were the first GHS Men Soccer team to make it to state in over 12 years, then when we made it to state the very next year (2012) we set the record for the only Men's team up to that point in time to have made it to State back to back years. Then I graduated in 2012 and Coach Page took the team to either the quarter or semi finals in 2013, setting a record again for making State 3 years in a row. I know we weren't the best team, but I made memories and I still hang out with my teammates to this day, 7 years later.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas