Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Sunday, September 15th, 2019.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board
2020-22 proposed conferences will be post to FearlessFriday.com shortly. Discussion has already begun. #fearlessfriday
2019 Football Schedules are online, See who your team is playing
FearlessFriday brings Thursday Night Football on TV
Fearless Friday
Southside's Coleman Week 3 POW

Author Topic: Marshall is open  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Eagle boss

• Water Boy
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Marshall is open
« on: May 09, 2019, 07:08:20 am »
Does anyone know anything about the Marshall job?

Offline arkansasprepfootball

• Bench Warmer
Re: Marshall is open
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 07:20:11 am »
Does anyone know anything about the Marshall job?

Little talent.  Chronically low numbers.  IF they play, rumor has them dropping, they could win pillow fights with Rose Bud and Cedar Ridge, both of whom may not play either.

BAD job.

Offline whippersnapper

• Assistant Coach
  • 121 Bucksweep
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 08:02:15 am »
That whole section of the state struggles in small school football. Only Clinton and Heber Springs have been good in the last 15 or so years. Traditionally those 2 teams havent been very good pre 2000

Offline AlumniLights

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:51:36 am »
Man, that community got a real tease in 2007! Haven't been relevant since.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 10:23:44 am »
That whole section of the state struggles in small school football. Only Clinton and Heber Springs have been good in the last 15 or so years. Traditionally those 2 teams havent been very good pre 2000

Basketball is King in that area..

Offline AmSycho

• Bench Warmer
  • Ladies and Gentlemen...He's Back!!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 11:33:32 am »
Low numbers, sketchy admin, but good kids for the most part. With low numbers comes a sense of self entitlement in some cases. "It doesn't matter if I come to practice or not, they'll have to play me because there isn't anyone else..." More power to anyone who take this one on. It does seem like more of a basketball school, but I'm not sure that their basketball team has done anything significant as of late, maybe ever. With that been said, if it's labelled as a basketball school (like someone said earlier), where the bball team isn't very good either....imagine what a coach would have to do to get the football numbers up. Almost an impossibility. What happened to the last coach? He didn't stay too long.

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer
  • And Whals, and beaverfan007
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:54:27 am »
All you need to know about the job can been seen from Highway 65. See the Gym. See the field house. Tell me where the priorities are.

Probably would help if they do a background check or reference check on the next coach. Hibbard was the best one they ever could get and Admin ran him off. Hired a sex offender before him and after him they went all in on a guy that jumped ship to JC westside.

They have a quality applicant right now that has state title game experience and is an alumni but the Admin probably won't hire him because of his certifications. Once again, show me the priorities.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 12:56:15 pm »
Low numbers, sketchy admin, but good kids for the most part. With low numbers comes a sense of self entitlement in some cases. "It doesn't matter if I come to practice or not, they'll have to play me because there isn't anyone else..." More power to anyone who take this one on. It does seem like more of a basketball school, but I'm not sure that their basketball team has done anything significant as of late, maybe ever. With that been said, if it's labelled as a basketball school (like someone said earlier), where the bball team isn't very good either....imagine what a coach would have to do to get the football numbers up. Almost an impossibility. What happened to the last coach? He didn't stay too long.

I'm labeling the entire area as a basketball area..... Timbo, Western Grove,  Valley Springs, and Marshall are all coming good seasons or have had some good seasons in the recent past...Marshall had a flash in the pan year in 2007...But other than that they're a homecoming opponent type program....

Offline whippersnapper

• Assistant Coach
  • 121 Bucksweep
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 01:02:49 pm »
I'm labeling the entire area as a basketball area..... Timbo, Western Grove,  Valley Springs, and Marshall are all coming good seasons or have had some good seasons in the recent past...Marshall had a flash in the pan year in 2007...But other than that they're a homecoming opponent type program....
That 2007 team was pretty darn good too considering they lost to eventual state champs Glen Rose 14-0. That was after a bye round too.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 01:11:14 pm »
That 2007 team was pretty darn good too considering they lost to eventual state champs Glen Rose 14-0. That was after a bye round too.

I was at that game....one of the better games I've attended honestly

Offline AmSycho

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 01:12:25 pm »
I was meaning, what have they done to be labelled a "basketball school"? As in have they been successfull in basketball enough to claim to be a basketball school?

Offline x14113

• Fearless Friday Historian
  • Assistant Coach
  • W-T-F: Watch The Fake!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 12:27:00 am »
What happened to the last coach? He didn't stay too long.

He's now HC at Johnson Co. Westside.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 10:08:02 am »
I was meaning, what have they done to be labelled a "basketball school"? As in have they been successfull in basketball enough to claim to be a basketball school?

Nothing of note in a few years, but they've went back to back in girls about 13 years ago now, and the boys team is usually 20+ wins a season. I call them a basketball school, because it's the only sport I know of them being competitive in

Offline whippersnapper

• Assistant Coach
  • 121 Bucksweep
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 07:10:43 pm »
I was at that game....one of the better games I've attended honestly
Wish hudl was around back then. I would love to watch film on both of those teams

Offline AlumniLights

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 09:07:54 am »
Did the GR stud(eventual state championship MVP that ran all over Charleston and Shiloh) Doug Vinson get tossed for throwing a punch that night?

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer
  • And Whals, and beaverfan007
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 09:15:39 am »
Did the GR stud(eventual state championship MVP that ran all over Charleston and Shiloh) Doug Vinson get tossed for throwing a punch that night?

In the 3rd qtr on his own sideline.

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 11:08:33 am »

I remember it as kicking someone in the head....But it's been a long time lol

Online panther07

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46:59 am »

Surely a kid from glen rose wouldn’t do something like that?

Offline friscokid

• Bench Warmer
  • AR born. AR bred. Two out of three ain't bad.
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 02:54:04 pm »
In Texas, if you’re not good in football, you get labeled a basketball school. If you’re not good in basketball either, you get labeled a band school. Does Marshall even have a band?

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 02:55:15 pm »
In Texas, if you’re not good in football, you get labeled a basketball school. If you’re not good in basketball either, you get labeled a band school. Does Marshall even have a band?

They did 10+ years ago LoL

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 09:41:01 am »
Why doesn't Marshall play 8 man football?

Offline RedRaider55

• Band Nerd
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 10:11:08 am »
Why doesn't Marshall play 8 man football?

They had around 24+ players last year according to their MaxPreps team photo. No need to play 8 man with that amount of kids. No idea what their numbers will be like this year though.

Offline Mulerider4Life

• 2nd String
  • Ride or Die!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 12:15:39 pm »
They had around 24+ players last year according to their MaxPreps team photo. No need to play 8 man with that amount of kids. No idea what their numbers will be like this year though.

Woodlawn had 21 last year, they could have played regular football.

Offline purpleswag

• 2nd String
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 12:55:41 pm »
Woodlawn had 21 last year, they could have played regular football.

Yeah. But they can compete in 8 man

Offline threepeoplematter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 07:47:37 am »
I wonder if eventually the AAA is going to put a cap on the enrollment for 8 man.  Almost seems more unfair for smaller teams that have 100 kids or so in the high school to be playing AAA schools with around 200 or so I think, just because the larger schools want to "compete" which may mean demolish the smaller schools if size has anything to do with it.

Offline purpleswag

• 2nd String
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 07:58:33 am »
I wonder if eventually the AAA is going to put a cap on the enrollment for 8 man.  Almost seems more unfair for smaller teams that have 100 kids or so in the high school to be playing AAA schools with around 200 or so I think, just because the larger schools want to "compete" which may mean demolish the smaller schools if size has anything to do with it.

Is it a AAA sponsored league?

Offline friscokid

• Bench Warmer
  • AR born. AR bred. Two out of three ain't bad.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 08:13:22 am »
The AAA doesn’t sponsor 8-man yet, only as a club sport. If enough teams opt for it, the AAA always can later set up a bigger school division for the Rose Buds and Marshalls.

Offline AmSycho

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 08:36:31 am »
What's the word on the coaching search?

Offline threepeoplematter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 09:03:15 am »
The AAA doesn’t sponsor 8-man yet, only as a club sport. If enough teams opt for it, the AAA always can later set up a bigger school division for the Rose Buds and Marshalls.

Right, but will there be enough schools to sponsor a big school division?  Will enough larger schools declare 8 man?

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center