Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Saturday, June 15th, 2019.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board
2020-22 proposed conferences will be post to FearlessFriday.com shortly. Discussion has already begun. #fearlessfriday
The 2018-19 sports season has a bit left. State track has just completed and several team sports begin the chase at State this coming week
Fearless Friday congratulates all the AR HS athletes who are graduating this year.
Fearless Friday
Southside's Coleman Week 3 POW
Week 2 Review

Author Topic: Dissolve 7A & Proposal for New 6A  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Rudehog

• Bench Warmer
  • Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!
Dissolve 7A & Proposal for New 6A
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »
After reviewing the new numbers released by the AAA this is just my idea of how to dissolve the 7A (16 teams) into a new 24 team 6A classification taking into account the disparity of population arguments used as justification in the past. Under the new numbers released (1) Cabot 2,476 to (15) Jonesboro 1,362.67 the disparity is 1,113.33. If you take the top 24 with (1) Cabot 2,476 to (23) Lake Hamilton 1,021 the disparity is 1,455. I don't count MSM/Catholic because they are private. This would take all the schools with enrollment counts over 1,000 and put them into one classification.

My plan would call for 4 conferences made up of 6 teams. For football there would be a 12 team playoff with the 4 conf champs getting a first round bye. For all other sports the top 4 advance to state tournament with 16 teams eligible.

My proposal for conferences would be:

(NW) Bentonville, B West, Rogers, Heritage, Springdale, HarBer
(W) Fayetteville, Northside, Southside, Van Buren, Siloam Springs, Russellville
(E/NE) Jonesboro, West Memphis, Cabot, Sylvan Hills, NLR, Conway
(SW) Central, Catholic, LR SW, Bryant, Benton, Lake Hamilton

Just my 2 cents but I think it would be worth a 2 year trial. What do you think?

Offline Walter

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
Re: Dissolve 7A & Proposal for New 6A
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 04:58:10 pm »
I like it. It would only have 5 conference games but the 5 nonconference should not be hard to schedule. Worth a try.

Offline GuvHog

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 05:08:01 pm »
After reviewing the new numbers released by the AAA this is just my idea of how to dissolve the 7A (16 teams) into a new 24 team 6A classification taking into account the disparity of population arguments used as justification in the past. Under the new numbers released (1) Cabot 2,476 to (15) Jonesboro 1,362.67 the disparity is 1,113.33. If you take the top 24 with (1) Cabot 2,476 to (23) Lake Hamilton 1,021 the disparity is 1,455. I don't count MSM/Catholic because they are private. This would take all the schools with enrollment counts over 1,000 and put them into one classification.

My plan would call for 4 conferences made up of 6 teams. For football there would be a 12 team playoff with the 4 conf champs getting a first round bye. For all other sports the top 4 advance to state tournament with 16 teams eligible.

Just my 2 cents but I think it would be worth a 2 year trial. What do you think?

It's a good idea but I doubt the AAA will approve 6 team conferences. That would mean only having 5 conference games a year and the coaches having to schedule 5 non-conference games a year. Most coaches would probably say it's difficult enough some years just scheduling 3. My suggestion is to make the top 32 teams 7A, the next 32 teams 6A and so on. 

7A - 32
6A - 32
5A - 32
4A - 32
3A - 32
2A - 38
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:25:26 pm by GuvHog »

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 06:19:51 pm »
Guv that will never wash because of the large difference in 7A enrolment.

Offline Jwolf12

• Water Boy
  • Still thinking about what to put here...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 07:11:32 pm »
It does make perfect sense if they want a balance in numbers. However, it will be very difficult for the bottom end of that 32 to compete. With how it’ll be next cycle somebody is going to be unhappy. It would be hard to split FS Southside and FS Northside but if they don’t somebody from Central Arkansas will be making several trips out West.

Offline Coach9586

• Water Boy
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 08:02:21 am »
UofG was left off from the new 7A/6A proposal. They would be a better fit in the 7/6A west than Russellville at least competitively and geographically

Offline GuvHog

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 12:23:33 pm »
Guv that will never wash because of the large difference in 7A enrolment.

Probably not but they'd come closer to doing that than they would making the top 24 schools 6A and going to 6 team conferences. Now I could see them making the top 24 schools 7A and going to 3 conferences with the top 3 in each conference going to the playoffs with a couple of 3 seeds having to play a play in game. The 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A would all have 32 teams in each division with the 2A having 46 members.

WEST

Bentonville
Har-ber
Springdale
Fayetteville
Rogers
Rogers - Heritage
Bentonville West
Siloam Springs

EAST

Cabot
Jonesboro
LR Catholic
LR Southwest
West Memphis
Sylvan Hills
North Little Rock
LR Central

SOUTH

Conway
Bryant
Benton
FS Northside
FS Southside
Van Buren
Russellville
Lake Hamilton
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:23:42 pm by GuvHog »

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 01:24:15 pm »
Siloam Springs was a part of a lawsuit when almost the same conference alignment was offered. I wouldn't blame them if they  were part of one again. That is an impossible conference for them.

Offline GuvHog

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 01:37:59 pm »
Siloam Springs was a part of a lawsuit when almost the same conference alignment was offered. I wouldn't blame them if they  were part of one again. That is an impossible conference for them.

They'd win more there than one might think. There are only 3 schools in that conference setup that are always strong:

Bentonville
Springdale
Fayetteville. 

Every great once in a while Rogers might have a good team.

Offline sevenof400

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Head Coach
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 01:55:10 pm »
Guv that will never wash because of the large difference throughout the enrollment.

Suggested fix.

AAA must come to its senses and stop trying to make every classification have a set number of teams. 

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 02:31:16 pm »
Suggested fix.

AAA must come to its senses and stop trying to make every classification have a set number of teams.

They didn’t in the hybrid conferences for “other sports” the previous cycle, they just have to apply it to football, too.

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 04:09:26 pm »
Suggested fix.

I agree with this.

Offline Walter

• Assistant Coach
  • Go Big Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 04:32:00 pm »
In all other sports you can still have competitive teams once in awhile without the high number of students. In football numbers make a much bigger difference.

Offline Romeo

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • Tall pines, pink tomatoes, and wide receivers.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 04:51:21 pm »

This wouldn't pass because it's actually smart and makes too much sense.

Offline friscokid

• Bench Warmer
  • AR born. AR bred. Two out of three ain't bad.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 12:03:40 am »
Suggested fix.

If you did this, you could take half the number of the largest team (Cabot in this case) and make that the cutoff. But that would leave you with an odd number — 17 — and a different headache.

We just have to ride this out for one cycle until the situation hopefully equalizes and we’re back to 8-8. If LRSW goes up and Jonesboro stays up, FS is back together in the West again.

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 07:24:39 am »
If you did this, you could take half the number of the largest team (Cabot in this case) and make that the cutoff. But that would leave you with an odd number — 17 — and a different headache.

We just have to ride this out for one cycle until the situation hopefully equalizes and we’re back to 8-8. If LRSW goes up and Jonesboro stays up, FS is back together in the West again.

Why would you intentionally have 17 teams? If LRSW moves up, someone is moving down.

Offline GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

• Water Boy
  • INTELLECTUAL BRUTALITY
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 10:24:34 am »
They'd win more there than one might think. There are only 3 schools in that conference setup that are always strong:

Bentonville
Springdale
Fayetteville. 

Every great once in a while Rogers might have a good team.

I agree that Siloam will not do any worse in 7A than 6A. They'll never beat Greenwood or Benton as things currently stand. They could beat both Rogers schools, and maybe Har-Ber once in a while. They would be like the Gentry of the 7A--make the playoffs as a five seed every so often and be happy with that.
It would save Siloam so much money, they'd get tougher after competing with them a while, and probably get their kids more exposure. Their size is not the reason they are bad.

Offline Cabotfan

• All Star
  • Go Panthers
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 12:09:24 pm »
I agree that Siloam will not do any worse in 7A than 6A. They'll never beat Greenwood or Benton as things currently stand. They could beat both Rogers schools, and maybe Har-Ber once in a while. They would be like the Gentry of the 7A--make the playoffs as a five seed every so often and be happy with that.
It would save Siloam so much money, they'd get tougher after competing with them a while, and probably get their kids more exposure. Their size is not the reason they are bad.

Siloam is one of the reasons we are in this situation to start with!! They were tired of getting beat up by the big boys.

Offline GuvHog

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 12:30:51 pm »
Siloam is one of the reasons we are in this situation to start with!! They were tired of getting beat up by the big boys.

The excuses that Siloam Springs made the last time won't fly this time around because they are a bigger school now and with Bentonville and Rogers splitting into 2 schools, that conference is not quite as daunting as it once was. Siloam Springs could win at least 3 games a year in that conference and get a 4th win occasionally to make the playoffs plus moving to that Conference would save the school a tremendous amount of money.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:34:09 pm by GuvHog »

Offline Jwolf12

• Water Boy
  • Still thinking about what to put here...
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 08:38:00 pm »
I know it’s early but any idea on when they plan on announcing the different conferences?

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center