Author Topic: Dumas  (Read 21612 times)

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: Dumas
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2019, 11:03:03 am »
So they players will leave if he's fired?  Why?  Is that not what they want?

Not according to the Rally the players are holding in his support at the Dumas High School tomorrow?

Offline Mr. Mercer

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2019, 11:04:54 am »

Not according to the Rally the players are holding in his support at the Dumas High School tomorrow?

That's ALL the players?  Wow. 

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2019, 11:16:20 am »
That's ALL the players?  Wow.

My understanding of it is over 90% of the team. I guess the news won't show that though will it?

Online zebradynasty

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2019, 11:52:02 am »

My understanding of it is over 90% of the team. I guess the news won't show that though will it?

Doesn't matter what the team thinks. This is an administrative issue. His action undermines the schools ability to educate. The first time he kicks a black kid off the team...guess what LAWSUIT if a white student doesn't get a send home by him for bad behavior but he sent home a black kid... Sorry in this case you can't let the students decide this!

Offline 1reddieLB

• Water Boy
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2019, 12:10:38 pm »
Exactly this^^.  Like I said, school has no choice here. Donít know him, might be a wonderful guy and coach but doesnít matter..

Offline Arkansauce

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2019, 12:33:45 pm »
the B and N are side by side on the keyboard, but that would have spelled out "neggars", now if that is how the text read, its a possibility, but if it was spelt ni*****, then no, you didn't mean beggars.
I think he might've blew it with this one.

Offline Pick_DA_EAGLES

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
  • i feel more like i do now than i did awhile ago!
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2019, 12:36:33 pm »
I think he might've blew it with this one.

very much looks that way

Offline Arkansauce

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2019, 12:39:36 pm »
very much looks that way
He Would've been better off saying Naggers at least it would've been more believable. Either way he is wrong and will pay for it dearly with the Superintendent being black.

Offline threepeoplematter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2019, 12:52:01 pm »
He Would've been better off saying Naggers at least it would've been more believable. Either way he is wrong and will pay for it dearly with the Superintendent being black.

I understand what you are saying, I would think the superintendent would punish him no matter the superintendent's race, even though in this case it turns out that their might be more motivation in this case based on the superintendents ethnicity.  If his intent was to say what was said, then its not tolerable at all.  Even if he didn't "mean to", its still pretty bad in the public eye obviously.  Good people do bad things, bad people do good things, your disposition doesn't determine your outcome, your actions do.  No dog in the fight here guys, just stating based on what I've seen on the news.

Offline Romeo

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • Tall pines, pink tomatoes, and football players.
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2019, 01:05:51 pm »
The superintendent being black is not going to make the punishment any more severe. If anyone would be reasonable in this type of situation it would be Coach Gragg. I believe its the school boards decision to fire him. Like zebradynasty said his actions undermine the school's ability to educate. Any teacher that does and says something that would undermine the integrity of the school and classroom environment would face termination, regardless of the race of the superintendent or school board.

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2019, 01:11:44 pm »
The superintendent being black is not going to make the punishment any more severe. If anyone would be reasonable in this type of situation it would be Coach Gragg. I believe its the school boards decision to fire him. Like zebradynasty said his actions undermine the school's ability to educate. Any teacher that does and says something that would undermine the integrity of the school and classroom environment would face termination, regardless of the race of the superintendent or school board.

+1     

Still doesn't change the fact of said student athlete's stating that they would move districts if the coaching change does happen. You know kids these days?

Offline Romeo

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • Tall pines, pink tomatoes, and football players.
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2019, 02:24:18 pm »

+1     

Still doesn't change the fact of said student athlete's stating that they would move districts if the coaching change does happen. You know kids these days?

We had a similar situation in Warren a few years ago with an assistant football coach that made racially insensitive comments on Facebook. Just like this situation, the players stood by and supported him. That doesn't surprise me. For one, they're kids not adults and they have yet to experience the real world or true racism. Second, a lot of players can see a coach as a second father figure, or in many cases their only father figure. From my point of view, it appears the last text message was not sent to the right recipient. I'm willing to give Coach Pennington the benefit of the doubt, but over the years I've learned you can't always judge a person's character by what they say or do in public. I judge character by how people treat those who can do nothing for them and what they do or say when no one is looking. Either he made a auto correct mistake or his true character was revealed.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:26:18 pm by Romeo »

Online zebradynasty

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2019, 03:14:04 pm »

Your post suggest that if the Superintendent was white the outcome or punishment may be different. I hope that you are wrong about that. Besides, from what I know about Gragg...he's a straight up kind of man he'll make the decision based upon the facts and nothing else.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:13:45 pm by zebradynasty »

Offline 1reddieLB

• Water Boy
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2019, 05:10:27 pm »
Again, White, black, or brown it doesnít matter. Unless he can prove that this was a true ďhonestĒ mistake ( not sure how he can) than itís a no brainer. I hope if this was an accident he can prove it. 
Now back to what is probably reality, who they go with? Amerson would be the logical choice to keep things going like they are. Anybody else is libel to come in and make a mess. Might even give him a year and hire next year?

Offline Winchesterbandit

• Water Boy
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2019, 05:23:01 pm »
Amerson is who I have been told will take over if a new coach is needed. He is an administrator, kids love him, has very successful background, and that would also keep coach Carter the OC in place. Those two basically ran all the day to day operations and the offense and defense anyway. Kids will still be upset but my son told me if those 2 stay he thinks the team will be able to move forward.

Offline KASH dba The Lumberjack

• Starter
  • Love bleeding Orange and Black
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2019, 11:43:58 am »
Watch South Park much?

Offline Jwolf12

• Bench Warmer
  • Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2019, 12:06:23 pm »
Any news on the players rally today?

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2019, 12:15:57 pm »
Amerson is who I have been told will take over if a new coach is needed. He is an administrator, kids love him, has very successful background, and that would also keep coach Carter the OC in place. Those two basically ran all the day to day operations and the offense and defense anyway. Kids will still be upset but my son told me if those 2 stay he thinks the team will be able to move forward.

As JWolf asked, how did the Rally go today?

Online Gray lizard

• All Star
  • Go Apaches Go
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2019, 04:39:57 pm »
Sounds like this coach will have to be let go.  As white male I am not sure I would coach in a predominantly black school.  Walking on egg shells to avoid being called a racist. The word is used to trash talk each other among the black kids daily.

Offline Crossett Eagle

• All Star
  • Eagle Strong 🦅
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2019, 04:59:05 pm »
Sounds like this coach will have to be let go.  As white male I am not sure I would coach in a predominantly black school.  Walking on egg shells to avoid being called a racist. The word is used to trash talk each other among the black kids daily.

He should be fired so Dumas can move on and start prepping for the season.

Offline Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2019, 05:02:17 pm »
You donít have to walk on eggshells in Dumas. That is an ignorant statement.

Offline mr.gametime

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2019, 05:33:22 pm »

I'm sure young teenage boys probably call each other B*****s and F***e*e also joking around because thats what teenagers do...but what do you think will happen if a teacher or coach used those words towards a player? As a ADULT you are held to a different standard and should know better....

Offline arkansasFBscoop

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2019, 05:49:19 pm »

Walking on egg shells???  How about just treat kids fairly and not use hateful, racially charged words?

Offline Eddie Goodson

• Thee Fast Eddie
  • Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2019, 05:50:08 pm »
The board can't fire anyone except the Super. first recommends them to be fired. The only person the board can fire without a recommendation first is the Super. If a Super. doesn't want to fire someone, the board would have to fire the Super. and put someone in who would recommend it. That would probably end up with the district sued in court by the employee and the district paying a bucket load of money to the employee.

Offline Missco

• Assistant Coach
  • To be the Man you gotta beat the Man
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2019, 07:23:46 pm »
At a lot school's the school board's run the show.

Offline Eddie Goodson

• Thee Fast Eddie
  • Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2019, 08:04:52 pm »
At a lot school's the school board's run the show.
A lot of myth and legends out there. School Boards are the most powerless level of government in the chain of state government. A super. has way more power than people realize. A board is only there mainly to hire a super. and budget oversight.

Offline hsindian

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2019, 09:39:28 pm »
I think he has to be fired but not because of anything other than what he sent. I tried beggars and naggers on here as I type this. Never once does what he sent show up in my auto correct. Heís probably mad at that parent and boyfriend and was going to send that text to someone else and he messed up. I know I e sent messages and pics to the wrong person and it proved to be embarrassing but not racist.

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
  • The Only discipline that lasts, is Self discipline
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2019, 09:51:16 pm »
I know teachers, and coaches that have been fired for less.  I am really shocked that he hasn't been fired yet.

Online Gray lizard

• All Star
  • Go Apaches Go
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2019, 07:41:54 am »
I'm sure young teenage boys probably call each other B*****s and F***e*e also joking around because thats what teenagers do...but what do you think will happen if a teacher or coach used those words towards a player? As a ADULT you are held to a different standard and should know better....
It is not just teenagers. It is in their music, movies, and sport stars vocabulary.

Online Gray lizard

• All Star
  • Go Apaches Go
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2019, 07:48:59 am »
You donít have to walk on eggshells in Dumas. That is an ignorant statement.
I admit I do not know much about Dumas, But most of America a white male can be out of a job with one minor slip up and called a racist faster than any other segment.  I sure by now some on here will consider me a racist.

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2019, 08:55:27 am »

Sadly the coaches ignorance/mistake has turned into a witch hunt on other white teachers in the Dumas school district as well since this has come out. The school did a fine job of censoring the student's rally in the coaches support yesterday as it was supposed to be held earlier in the day, but instead they held it at the end of the day so as to "not take away from the learning environment". This caused only about 50-75 students to be able to attend as others who wished to attend were forced to ride the buses as that was their only means of transportation home and yes the demographics of his support were pretty equal between White and African American students. I'd like to commend Channel 11 for showing up and giving the student's a voice.  Look for the Coach to turn in his resignation in the coming week to avoid having to be terminated!

Offline Shooter McGavin

• Cheerleader
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2019, 09:49:07 am »
If Pennington does resign, OC Carter would be the obvious choice to replace him. Solid play caller w/great talent. His offense put up major numbers last season. Winchesterbandit says Carter ran the day to day operations of the team. Looks like a win-win.

Offline Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2019, 01:13:41 pm »
If Pennington does resign, OC Carter would be the obvious choice to replace him. Solid play caller w/great talent. His offense put up major numbers last season. Winchesterbandit says Carter ran the day to day operations of the team. Looks like a win-win.
You sure he called plays last year or ever?

Offline BlueSteel93

• Band Nerd
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2019, 05:30:41 pm »
Carter was the DC last year right?

Offline 1reddieLB

• Water Boy
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2019, 08:20:17 pm »
Honestly, Carter may be the guy, but playing calling abilities would have very little to do with my choice. If he did it last year heíll do it again this year, regardless. Base the decision on who can lead, who do the kids and coaches follow and respect? That will be your best bet in this situation.

Offline Winchesterbandit

• Water Boy
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2019, 09:26:34 am »
Either of the above would probably be a good choice in order to keep the team, and staff on the same page. With summer break a few weeks out this is not the time to make big changes. Amerson has a lot more experience, and seems to have a good handle on dealing with off the field issues, boosters, administrators, etc. Just hoping these kids get some quick answers so we can put this whole situation in the rear view mirror.

Offline Jwolf12

• Bench Warmer
  • Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:05 am »
Have any admin members or the HC made a recent statement on this? I feel like a situation like this needs to be handled sooner rather than later. Board meeting soon?

Offline Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2019, 11:47:58 am »
Have any admin members or the HC made a recent statement on this? I feel like a situation like this needs to be handled sooner rather than later. Board meeting soon?
Unions and laws. Nothing happens quickly. There are rules in place for these kinds of things.

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2019, 02:35:06 pm »
Unions and laws. Nothing happens quickly. There are rules in place for these kinds of things.

+1

Offline Winchesterbandit

• Water Boy
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2019, 03:03:07 pm »
I heard there was a board meeting next week I am sure this will more than likely be addressed then.

Offline 1reddieLB

• Water Boy
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2019, 09:11:08 pm »
Amerson does have the edge in experience. The HC has to do more than just call plays, comes down to who can manage all the duties that can go with it and keep everybody going the same direction.

Offline Shelby

• Band Nerd
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2019, 06:41:07 pm »
Most of the town is hoping Coach Pennington remains as our head football coach. With a son on the team I definetly feel this way. We have a chance to be a top contender this year. I think if Coach Pennington leaves it could possibly do a lot of damage to the team if someone new is brought in it could get really bad. Only 2 guys on staff who could take it over Carter, or Amerson. If Coach P leaves keeping one of those guys in place has to be done. Amerson would be my guess he is more reserved and has a lot of successful experience, but Iím afraid if Coach Pennington leaves both of those guys will leave, which will leave our program in shambles.

Offline Bevtrain

• Water Boy
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2019, 10:09:05 am »
Did anything ever happen?

Offline RabAlumni

• 2nd String
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2019, 03:26:32 pm »
Did anything ever happen?

I heard the board put off a vote until 6/6/19.

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2019, 08:44:31 am »

I heard the board put off a vote until 6/6/19.
Makes it late in the year to look for a coach if he resigns or is terminated.

Offline Winchesterbandit

• Water Boy
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2019, 09:06:35 am »
It will be an in-house hire if he gets terminated.

Online Sigmund Sauer

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2019, 09:42:42 am »
AD is already gone.....

Online Pat Swilling

• 2nd String
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2019, 09:45:03 am »
I think if the Coach was looking at being terminated then it would have already happened.

• Starter
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2019, 10:54:33 am »
AD is already gone.....
Who was that?

Online Sigmund Sauer

• Starter
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2019, 10:59:17 am »

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center