Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Saturday, June 15th, 2019.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board
2020-22 proposed conferences will be post to FearlessFriday.com shortly. Discussion has already begun. #fearlessfriday
The 2018-19 sports season has a bit left. State track has just completed and several team sports begin the chase at State this coming week
Fearless Friday congratulates all the AR HS athletes who are graduating this year.
Fearless Friday
Southside's Coleman Week 3 POW
Week 2 Review

Author Topic: Jonesboro AD retires  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Sporty

• Water Boy
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Jonesboro AD retires
« on: May 01, 2019, 12:13:38 pm »
David Daniel retires as Athletic Director at Jonesboro.

Offline RushingRed14

• Water Boy
  • High School is the Heart of All Athletics
Re: Jonesboro AD retires
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:48:32 pm »
Well, sorta. He admits in the Sun's article that he is only leaving Jonesboro schools, with no job lined up as of yet. He also does explicitly say this is NOT retirement though. This is a rather unusual resignation. Seems as though the world would be the oyster for any Jonesboro AD being that Jonesboro is the largest 6A/5A school in the state.

Offline Sporty

• Water Boy
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 02:40:21 pm »
Was he asked to move on?

Offline Former, Coach Jacobs

• Bench Warmer
  • Former Hoops Coach of Eagles, Bearcats, & Cougars
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 03:09:56 pm »
Hearing he wants to get back into coaching. Good AD. The AD job at Jonesboro has to be one of the top AD jobs in the state.

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 03:26:47 pm »
Was he asked to move on?

No, lol, his son Matt was just named the Womenís basketball coach at ASU, I suspect his energies will lay there.

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 03:29:55 pm »
Well, sorta. He admits in the Sun's article that he is only leaving Jonesboro schools, with no job lined up as of yet. He also does explicitly say this is NOT retirement though. This is a rather unusual resignation. Seems as though the world would be the oyster for any Jonesboro AD being that Jonesboro is the largest 6A/5A school in the state.

Well, they more than likely will be the smallest 7A school next cycle, so it may not be as rosy as it is today. I would expect some type of ďRussellville/WMĒ agreement with VB if that is the case, but, maybe not.

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/20-22_Football_Classification_Numbers.pdf
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:28:48 pm by ricepig »

Offline Sporty

• Water Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 08:25:07 am »
who applied?

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 10:35:41 am »
who applied?

I havenít heard, Iíll run my traps to see what I can find out.

Offline Cabotfan

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • All Star
  • Go Panthers
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 01:38:30 pm »
Don't hire the guy from Greenwood.  8)

Offline Taxman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 04:05:33 pm »
who applied?
Would not be surprised to see Randy Coleman.  With the bump to 7A and the ensuing butt kickings coming up it would be a good time to bounce.

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 05:00:33 pm »
Would not be surprised to see Randy Coleman.  With the bump to 7A and the ensuing butt kickings coming up it would be a good time to bounce.

Yeah, but that might only last one cycle, depends on how many end up enrolling in the LRSW high school the next two years, new school.

Offline Taxman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 05:10:13 pm »
Yeah, but that might only last one cycle, depends on how many end up enrolling in the LRSW high school the next two years, new school.
I agree, but he has struggled at the 6A level to win in postseason.  The massacre that is coming in 7A will more than likely suck any life out of the program and then you might move back down where historically weíve struggled.

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 07:04:33 pm »
I agree, but he has struggled at the 6A level to win in postseason.  The massacre that is coming in 7A will more than likely suck any life out of the program and then you might move back down where historically weíve struggled.

Massacre? weíll be with Catholic and Central, weíve proven we can handle them the majority of the time. I doubt two years will ďsuck the lifeĒ out of the program, we arenít VV, we have athletes. Swift isnít going to let them all play basketball, so I expect the numbers will be the same. Jonesboro isnít a great football town, but I suspect it will continue about the same trajectory, especially once they cycle back down.

I guess the next question is, does Coleman want to be AD, is he qualified, and who all will apply?

Offline ClutchFactor62

• Water Boy
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 09:21:19 am »
I think those close to the powers that be at Jonesboro know who they want....the questions is can they offer more $ so it's not a paycut?

Offline Taxman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 11:25:44 am »
I think those close to the powers that be at Jonesboro know who they want....the questions is can they offer more $ so it's not a paycut?
Interesting, like to know who that is.  Guess time will tell

Offline Taxman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 11:32:39 am »
Massacre? weíll be with Catholic and Central, weíve proven we can handle them the majority of the time. I doubt two years will ďsuck the lifeĒ out of the program, we arenít VV, we have athletes. Swift isnít going to let them all play basketball, so I expect the numbers will be the same. Jonesboro isnít a great football town, but I suspect it will continue about the same trajectory, especially once they cycle back down.

I guess the next question is, does Coleman want to be AD, is he qualified, and who all will apply?

When you start comparing our programs to sampler schools in the area that says a lot about where we are as a program.  I know you have seen the slide the last few years from which we went from possible contenders, to hope to make the semifinals to losing first round.  Itís been a slow slide even with the athletes we have had.  Now that being said they can look at this as a challenge and rise to the occasion but Iíve not seen that fight lately. 

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 11:47:41 am »
When you start comparing our programs to sampler schools in the area that says a lot about where we are as a program.  I know you have seen the slide the last few years from which we went from possible contenders, to hope to make the semifinals to losing first round.  Itís been a slow slide even with the athletes we have had.  Now that being said they can look at this as a challenge and rise to the occasion but Iíve not seen that fight lately.

Look, Iím far from a big Coleman supporter, but if you were around in the early 2000ís until he came, itís an improvement. You do remember those seasons? I was comparing the area, and itís football fortunes, itís never been known as a football hotbed, and I doubt it ever will. The sheer number of kids playing indicates there will be some talent, but Jonesboro doesnít eat, drink, and sleep football. As to the past playoff results, some were unlucky bounces, some were poor coaching decisions, and some just happened.

Offline Taxman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 12:01:25 pm »
I agree but it has been a downward spiral for the last couple of years and it does not bode well for a move up.

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 12:34:54 pm »
I agree but it has been a downward spiral for the last couple of years and it does not bode well for a move up.

Well, thereís another season, maybe theyíll spiral up, lol.......

Offline Taxman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:42 pm »
Yep, you never know about high school kids

Offline 1reddieLB

• Water Boy
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 07:33:02 pm »
Look, Iím far from a big Coleman supporter, but if you were around in the early 2000ís until he came, itís an improvement. You do remember those seasons? I was comparing the area, and itís football fortunes, itís never been known as a football hotbed, and I doubt it ever will. The sheer number of kids playing indicates there will be some talent, but Jonesboro doesnít eat, drink, and sleep football. As to the past playoff results, some were unlucky bounces, some were poor coaching decisions, and some just happened.
Theyíve had some good runs the last 10 years. What i hear is Last several years, come December-April, youíve got a HC who is absent as much as he is present. Good thing is heís always had a good hand to run things in his absence. Just saying not sure this qualifies him to lead an entire athletic department.

Offline OB11

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 08:18:44 am »
Theyíve had some good runs the last 10 years. What i hear is Last several years, come December-April, youíve got a HC who is absent as much as he is present. Good thing is heís always had a good hand to run things in his absence. Just saying not sure this qualifies him to lead an entire athletic department.

I'd be curious to know where you have heard that because I'm not sure that is true at all...

Offline arenaboy10

• Band Nerd
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 09:07:53 pm »
[Theyíve had some good runs the last 10 years. What i hear is Last several years, come December-April, youíve got a HC who is absent as much as he is present. Good thing is heís always had a good hand to run things in his absence. Just saying not sure this qualifies him to lead an entire athletic department.]

[I'd be curious to know where you have heard that because I'm not sure that is true at all...]

Its not.. just like most schools he has an assistant or two that specialize in strength and conditioning that run off season workouts...so someone whos looking may not see his face all the time ..but hes there.. Administration and his assistants hold him accountable.. just like anywhere.
Haters will hate!

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 09:27:00 am »
[Theyíve had some good runs the last 10 years. What i hear is Last several years, come December-April, youíve got a HC who is absent as much as he is present. Good thing is heís always had a good hand to run things in his absence. Just saying not sure this qualifies him to lead an entire athletic department.]

[I'd be curious to know where you have heard that because I'm not sure that is true at all...]

Its not.. just like most schools he has an assistant or two that specialize in strength and conditioning that run off season workouts...so someone whos looking may not see his face all the time ..but hes there.. Administration and his assistants hold him accountable.. just like anywhere.
Haters will hate!

Yeah definitely need those who have expertise in offseason work leading those, it appears the new DC is in charge of it.

Offline Sporty

• Water Boy
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 08:23:44 am »

Many people don't think about how important the AD job is. They hire all the new coaches so basically the future of all the programs rest on their shoulders. Jonesboro needs to hire an AD who has connections to get the best of the best to apply. They do not need to hire someone who is a old coach who thinks it an easy job. I hear the pay is pretty low for AD so doubt they will get the highest quality person to apply.

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 09:48:07 am »
Many people don't think about how important the AD job is. They hire all the new coaches so basically the future of all the programs rest on their shoulders. Jonesboro needs to hire an AD who has connections to get the best of the best to apply. They do not need to hire someone who is a old coach who thinks it an easy job. I hear the pay is pretty low for AD so doubt they will get the highest quality person to apply.

It pays about $90K.

Offline OB11

• All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 10:02:28 am »
It pays about $90K.

In fairness, it pays about $90K to him. The stipend for AD is about 15K plus extended contract days. I'm assuming the current AD has close to 40 years in so that bumps his pay.

Depending on who they hire to replace him, the pay could be significantly less. I do think someone with quite a bit of experience will be hired so the pay will probably be about the same. I mention all of that to say I don't think pay will have much of a factor on who applies/applied.

Offline Former, Coach Jacobs

• Bench Warmer
  • Former Hoops Coach of Eagles, Bearcats, & Cougars
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 07:06:54 pm »
Trey Harding hired tonight. A+++++++++++ Hire.

Offline Jwolf12

• Water Boy
  • Still thinking about what to put here...
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 09:41:22 pm »
Trey Harding hired tonight. A+++++++++++ Hire.

Heck of a hire. NE Arkansas guy who was great at GCT as girls basketball coach and AD

Offline OB11

• All Star
  • 6+4+3=2
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 08:49:00 am »
Heck of a hire. NE Arkansas guy who was great at GCT as girls basketball coach and AD

And a Jonesboro alum.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center