Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Saturday, June 15th, 2019.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board
2020-22 proposed conferences will be post to FearlessFriday.com shortly. Discussion has already begun. #fearlessfriday
The 2018-19 sports season has a bit left. State track has just completed and several team sports begin the chase at State this coming week
Fearless Friday congratulates all the AR HS athletes who are graduating this year.
Fearless Friday
Southside's Coleman Week 3 POW
Week 2 Review

Author Topic: Tommy Tice announces retirement at Huntsville  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Go Postal

• "The one and only GOBLINS mascot in the USA"
  • Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • US Navy 1978-82, US Postal Service 1988-19 Retired
Tommy Tice announces retirement at Huntsville
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:37:42 am »
Huntsville athletic director Tom Tice announced his retirement on Wednesday. Tice has been a coach and administrator for 48 years at Harrison, Huntsville and Fayetteville.
Tom Tice, an icon in Arkansas prep sports, is stepping down as the athletic director at Huntsville.

Tice, 67, announced on Wednesday he is retiring at the end of the school year after 48 years as a coach and administrator.

"They say you know when it's time," Tice said. "I wasn't sure I was retiring until my wife Jo Ann came in and said 'I'm retiring and you are, too.' I said 'OK, I guess it's time."

Jo Ann Tice is a nurse in the Springdale Public Schools at Sonora.

Tice stepped down from coaching after the 2015 season. He ranks third all-time in career wins with a mark of 289-160-6. Tice led Harrison to the 1999 state championship.

Over his almost 50-year coaching career, Tice was at three different schools. Besides Huntsville and Harrison, he also coached one season at Ramay Junior High in Fayetteville, a year he described as "probably the best year of my career."

Tice began his coaching and teaching career in 1970 at the age of 19 when a teacher shortage in the state allowed him the opportunity to coach and teach PE at Huntsville for two years while he was attending the University of Arkansas.

"I had washed out as a player at Arkansas Tech and really did not know what I wanted to do," Tice said. "So I did that for two years and would have done it my senior year, but I could not get my schedule to work out. I always wanted to coach. I knew that in high school."

Tice credited former coaches Charles Berry and Bill Phillips for guiding him into coaching when he flirted with the idea of becoming a doctor.

"They both told me I needed to be a coach, and that's the best advice I could have gotten," Tice said.

In 2011, Tice left Harrison to return to his hometown Huntsville to serve as football coach and athletic director. The opportunity to work alongside Berry and former boys basketball coach Jim Stafford was important to Tice, he said.

Both Berry and Stafford retired last year, and now Tice will join their ranks.

"We still have breakfast once or twice a week," Tice said. "Coach Berry was always my mentor. I appreciate him so much to be able to turn to him for advice. He always told me 'Do what your heart tells you to do and you won't go wrong.'"

Tice will forever be linked to the late Brandon Burlsworth, who Tice coached at Harrison. Burlsworth was a walk-on player at Arkansas who later became an All-America offensive lineman and NFL draft pick of the Indianapolis Colts. Burlsworth died in an auto accident just days after he was drafted.

Tice will continue to serve on the Burlsworth Foundation board, he said.

"I've been blessed and had a charmed life," Tice said. "In 48 years, not one day did I ever dread going to work. This was something I always wanted to do and I was fortunate to have great players, great assistant coaches and great administrators who saw the value sports brings to the schools."

While his career win total is a source of pride for Tice, he points to other numbers that he holds in even higher regard. He had 22 former assistant coaches go on to become head coaches, eight became athletic directors and four became school superintendents

Offline sevenof400

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Head Coach
Re: Tommy Tice announces retirement at Huntsville
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 01:05:11 pm »
Now we know who wears the pants in the Tice family! 

Congrats to both of the Tice's and may they enjoy a long and happy retirement!  From this non-Harrison resident point of view, over the years the Goblin facilities have significantly improved and while I'm sure many others helped in that effort, Coach Tice no doubt played an active role. 

Offline JessieP

• Starter
  • Take down the scoreboards.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:32 pm »
Anyone who devotes 48 years of their life to the betterment of young minds deserves out respect. Congratulations Coach Tice on your retirement. Go grab Postal's credit card and head up to the Chateau on the lake for a couple of weeks, take your wife on a shopping spree. It's the least Go Postal can do.

Offline B.G.

• Fearless Friday Administrator
  • Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 04:01:25 pm »
Have a good retirement Coach!  You done good.

Offline GotInfo?

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 10:22:27 am »
Great Coach, but a better man.
Best wishes to Coach Tice.

Offline Lumberjackfan1978

• All Star
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:05:48 pm »
Definitely a great coach.Happy retirement coach

Offline Jwolf12

• Water Boy
  • Still thinking about what to put here...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 10:10:38 pm »
Wow 48 years spent serving the younger generations. Thatís incredible. Congrats to Coach Tice!

Offline Oldman

• Hall of Famer
  • I hate stupid people. Don't text and drive.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 09:17:31 am »
Wow 48 years spent serving the younger generations. That’s incredible. Congrats to Coach Tice!
Wonder if he has any hair left?

Offline beaverfan007

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 09:13:21 pm »
Hen pecked and whipped I guess you do what the wife says

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center