Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Sunday, November 17th, 2019.
Jonesboro Westside's Logan McPherson is Week 8 Player of the Week
Strong's Derrion Davis named Fearless Friday Player of the Week
Last week was our last week of Thursday Night televised games. Thanks for watching. Contact Lanny if your team wants on TV next season.
Conference season is underway. Be sure to check the Standings tab.
The season nears and we have you covered with the new look Fearless Friday Home Page. Forums remain the same.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board

Author Topic: 2019 Arkansas High School Track and Field  (Read 15790 times)

Offline Track junkie

• Band Nerd
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: 2019 Arkansas High School Track and Field
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2019, 03:06:03 pm »
I threw the Russellville high jumper in, but was glad to see so many over 6í6Ē this year.  HJ has been down for awhile now.  Was nice to see a slight return for this year.

6í10 as a junior is pretty salty. 15 kids over 6í5 with 9 returning. As long as your taking up advocating a Time clock be Mandatory at a State Meet and MOC, IMO moving the State Meet to a two day event with all classifications participating on opposite days similar to TX and CO would be a great meet for fans to watch. Alternate sites between U Of A, ASU and UCA & move the MOC back to the middle of week WED/THURSDAY vs Saturday at 5:30pm. 

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »
Weíve discussed state meets changes including your suggestion along with like Kansas.  Has failed to come to fruition for five years.  Universities have been a no go so far with possible exception of UCA.  Having enough field event venues specifically vault has been a holdup. At least, thatís what was said at meetings, and I believe it.  Taking UofA or Astate facilities for days when preparing for Conference meets is unlikely.  MOC is like All Star games:  must evolve to keep it going whether folks agree on changes or not. 

Offline Track junkie

• Band Nerd
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2019, 10:34:37 pm »
Weíve discussed state meets changes including your suggestion along with like Kansas.  Has failed to come to fruition for five years.  Universities have been a no go so far with possible exception of UCA.  Having enough field event venues specifically vault has been a holdup. At least, thatís what was said at meetings, and I believe it.  Taking UofA or Astate facilities for days when preparing for Conference meets is unlikely.  MOC is like All Star games:  must evolve to keep it going whether folks agree on changes or not.

If itís a facilities concern both Harding university & Hendrix University are finished with conference championships by end of April according to their schedules. Both are centrally located with a nod going to Hendrix being in Conway and availability for hotels. A MOC Champs could be held at either facility as well. Just throwing out ideas.

Offline sevenof400

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Head Coach
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2019, 08:56:51 am »
If itís a facilities concern both Harding university & Hendrix University are finished with conference championships by end of April according to their schedules. Both are centrally located with a nod going to Hendrix being in Conway and availability for hotels. A MOC Champs could be held at either facility as well. Just throwing out ideas.

It's a good point Track Junkie - but remember there has to be some willingness on the part of Hendrix and/or Harding to host as well. 
In the past, I know we used Hendrix for conference championships but that has been a few years back.
One would think a college / university with a track program would want to host the MOC for recruiting purposes. 

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2019, 10:16:55 am »
AAA uses a bidding process, so LH, Cabot, and those schools typically will get it every year.   I was surprised LH didn't have the electronic timer up and running. They do every time they host state cross country.  If a school wanted it at a university, they would have to win the bid with the approval of that university in advance. 

As far as combined state meets, any venue must possess enough pits and throwing areas to have those events going on simultaneously.  Example:   Class 5A boys vault going on while 6A girls vault is going on.   When other state meets were visited, they had multiple pits, rings, etc. for each event.  Not sure if those universities have two vaulting areas, two long jump pits and two triple jump pits, two shot and two discus areas.   To put all state meets in one location would require it.  Or so it has been said at the meetings.   

Offline TrackStar

• Band Nerd
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2019, 01:39:39 pm »
Name   School   Class   Mark   Date/Year   Location
1   Aadrian Williams   Arkadelphia      10.22   04/16/99   Wolf Classic, Lake Hamilton
2   Torrium Cobb   Magnolia   5A-SW   10.27   03/28/08   Doc Walker Hog Relays, Texarkana
3   Fred Rose   Texarkana   6A-S   10.29   05/23/07   Meet of Champs, Cabot High School
4   Melvin Lewis   Little Rock Central      10.30   05/21/86   Meet of Champs, Hot Springs
5   Charles Blakley   Searcy      10.30   06/89   Keebler Invitational, Chicago
6   Anthony Hampton   West Memphis      10.30   04/22/89   FCA Relays, West Memphis
7   Basil Shabazz   Pine Bluff      10.30   04/07/90   Hog Relays, Texarkana
8   Brannon Kidd   Crossett   4A   10.32   04/27/03   Arkansas Democrat-

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2019, 02:44:20 pm »
Welcome aboard. 

Good stuff there.  Look like hand held rather than FAT. 
Cite your sources. 

But all of those could truly fly!!!   

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2019, 02:49:16 pm »
Karl Koonce named National Coach of the Year!!!!

Offline panther2211

• Band Nerd
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2019, 03:55:30 pm »
Karl Koonce named National Coach of the Year!!!!

Congrats to him! Def a legend!  I have a question though..how is that voted on? I went to look up his team. His girls team finished 9th overall in their classification.

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2019, 04:04:14 pm »
I assume that it is based upon his legendary career coming to an end and they recognized the need to acknowledge it before he was gone.  I read that he retired.

Offline Track junkie

• Band Nerd
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2019, 05:42:27 pm »
Agree with Panther2211. Congrats to Koonce on a great career. IMO the Sylvan hills girls coach should have received a nod as well as the Bentonville girls Coaches too.

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2019, 08:13:20 pm »
Their nods were in that they were Arkansas coaches of the year in their respective classifications and nominated for overall coach of the year. 

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2019, 07:26:17 pm »
We opened cross country season at Ft. Smith today.  We had three medalists with my bests being a sophomore and two freshmen. 

Like on the 2A football page, Iím going to do a Rattler legend each meet. If anyone feels like it, they can match it with legends from their respective schools. 

Week 1:  Iíll start with Robert Reed.  Robert was our first true distance runner back in the 90s.  It was his progression and success that paved the way for all the legends afterward.  On the girlsí side is a track athlete who ran cross country at Magazine:  Brittney Bryan. Nice career winning 5 cross country invitational individual titles at meets, 6 District Championships, 6 All Conference nods, and was part of a two year run where the team won 11 meets and finished top 5 at state.  Was 6-time District Champions in Track, 3-time All State, individual and team State Champion.  Made the UCA track and cross country teams after high school.   

Next meet is at Caddo Hills. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:58:49 pm by RATTLER43 »

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2019, 06:22:10 pm »
Great meet at Caddo Hills.  Rattler sophomore ran low 17s. Freshman 2nd in junior high race. 

Week 2 Rattler legend is Churxa Yang.  Chur as we called him was a 2-sport all state runner. He was all conference. River Valley All Star.  District Champions.  Helped Rattlers to state runners up twice and 3rd place at state twice.  Rattler legend Churxa Yang!   

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2019, 02:58:33 pm »
My kids had average at best day at Clarksville.  More later. 

Next up on the legends list:  Levi Wright and Logan Lyle.  Levi was the 2A-4 Individual District Champion plus led his teams to 3 District titles in cross country, 4 in Track, and topped it off with an Indoor State Championship for the 2A Rattlers!!!  Logan Lyle was part of an undefeated junior high track team and state runner-up individual at cross country. 

Rattler Pride!!

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2019, 10:05:26 pm »
You going to be up at the Chile Pepper rattler? Just a little over a week until that time.

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2019, 02:53:56 pm »
Wonít be able to make it up this year.  Iíve got some great memories from there.  Would love to see our #3 ranked Lady Razorbacks with Taylor Werner run. 

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2019, 04:36:03 pm »
I know this is the high school thread... But I imagine you all are seeing the team USA in Doha absolutely tear it up at the World Championships?

Brazier in the 800m was phenomenal. He ran that nearly to perfection going 50 then 52 for his 1:42 American record in that event. This team USA is so deep in the mens and womens right now. Good sign for the Olympics in a little over 10 months

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2019, 07:57:49 pm »
Yep.  Iím loving it.  And that 800m was incredible!

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2019, 08:58:08 am »
Mens 4x100m was smoking!   

On a separate note, how about Taylor Werner, Katie Izzo, and the Lady Razorbacks cross country team?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2019, 04:43:05 pm »
Mens 4x100m was smoking!   

On a separate note, how about Taylor Werner, Katie Izzo, and the Lady Razorbacks cross country team?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe they sat out Lauren Gregory too with nothing major but a minor injury so they are just loaded... More of a being cautious thing before the meets that really matter in late October and November but they say she will be fine. When they add her they may win at all. Anything less than 3rd or 4th at nationals would be a let down.

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2019, 05:34:51 pm »
Totally agree.   Harter has it going!

Werner is spectacular!!  Triple crown (although not in same season, but in same year!!!) would be quite a feat. 

Online Almatrackster

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2019, 05:30:23 pm »
If they can win this CC, maybe they can find the replacement for points and win the season triple crown. But Janeek, Payton, Kiara, Weeks sisters...a lot to replace.

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2019, 07:43:30 am »
If they can win this CC, maybe they can find the replacement for points and win the season triple crown. But Janeek, Payton, Kiara, Weeks sisters...a lot to replace.

You said it!!  So much to replace while USC is growing.  Will be fun to see how it all plays out in each season.

Online Almatrackster

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2019, 03:40:43 pm »
Thought I'd throw in some of my stories as well. Not because I have anything earth shattering, but something different.

I didn't join cross country/track at Alma until the second quarter of my sophomore year. Basically when cross country was wrapping up. I ran one meet, didn't do well, and ended up not going to state.

Just to set this up, I had been a basketball player only my whole life. There are a lot of reasons I quit, some of them childish as I was only a child at the time, but in all I was burnt out on the sport. Many of my friends who were in track said I had the ability to be a distance runner, so they talked me into joining track after quitting basketball.

This is how my cross country/track year starts:

Sophomore, 2007-2008

Conference Cross Country Meet - DNF (I overestimated my ability to be kind to myself)

State Cross Country Meet - DNS (Wasn't part of the top 10 who got to go)

First Indoor Track Meet - Can't make it because I have the flu

State Indoor Track Meet (yes there used to be two of these a year) - Throw up all over my living room floor and can't make the trip

Honestly, any other man than Coach McMurray might have gave up on me. I know he believed me when I was sick and he saw my hard work in practice. He gave me a chance.

We go to the first outdoor meet at Fort Smith Southside. I finally get to run. I am only anchoring the 4x800 meter relay team. I'm not sure his reasons for putting me on anchor that first meet to this day.

I had three amazing teammates. Colton Mason, Izaak Montoya, Alex Marciano. Colton and Alex are juniors at this time. Izaak and I are sophomores. We are running against mostly 7A schools and I get the baton in first.

I run briskly to say the least. I know Southside and Rogers are closing in on me. Rogers, who was as dominant as ever at this time, had a red headed young athlete who ran at Arkansas as a walk on. He flew past me the last 300. I felt terrible about letting down my team in the moment, but I kept after it. I ended up running a 2:16? 800. I was disappointed. My teammates had run 2:10 or under.

Turns out they weren't disappointed and neither was Coach Mac. They had been looking for a 4th leg on the 4x8 and I seemed to provide hope for them. I also staved off a pretty good runner in Southside.

I'll never forget the confidence that Coach Mac instilled in me (he had a knack for this, one of his best qualities as a coach) and how absolutely terrible I felt after my first hard ran 800. My legs were jello and I couldn't breathe correctly. I still love the 800 to this day, though.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:42:40 pm by Almatrackster »

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2019, 04:08:02 pm »
My favorite kind of story!!  Coach Mac was/is great. 

Yes.  800 can destroy you physically and mentally. Not for the faint of heart. 

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2019, 04:10:16 pm »
Donít know if itís been mentioned yet.  I just watched womenís mile relay from the world championships.  Sydney McLaughlin 48.8 split!!!!!!   Wow!

Offline hurryup

• Band Nerd
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2019, 08:30:26 am »
I love reading these track stories. Almatrackster was a big help to me at our time together at the 2A school. I wish I had you now coaching my distance runners at my 1A school. Anyway, the world championships was amazing to watch (I watched all 10 days). Can't wait for Indoor/Outdoor season.

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2019, 01:27:02 pm »
I got to watch some, but mostly have watched via YouTube after the fact.   Amazing is the word.   

Online Almatrackster

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2019, 10:30:45 am »
I love reading these track stories. Almatrackster was a big help to me at our time together at the 2A school. I wish I had you now coaching my distance runners at my 1A school. Anyway, the world championships was amazing to watch (I watched all 10 days). Can't wait for Indoor/Outdoor season.

Thanks coach.

I'll share a story helping Coach at JC-Westside.

I'll save the sappy stuff for another time, but I am forever grateful for Coach Dunlap letting me help out with his established program when he didn't know me from Adam.

One of my favorite memories was our last state meet together. I guess that would be the 2017 state track meet. We knew we had a solid girls team going into the year, but we had a few obstacles come along during the season. Injuries, kids playing other sports, motivation factors, and just what any 2A school will deal with in track and field. RATTLER can tell you countless stories where you have a good team on paper, but a lot of things get in the way of them being good on the track and in the field.

We got to the state meet and I think Coach Dunlap and I had us projected for around 10th? Maybe 12th? We were being generous to ourselves, too.

I knew we were doing well in the field events, BUT I didn't know how well.

The Lady Rebels had about as good of a morning/early afternoon as we could ask for. I'm looking at the results:

Our stud sprinter had dealt with injuries and some other stuff that year. I think we may have had her making the final of one sprint and getting 8th. Lauryn ended up qualifying for the 100 and 200.

I know for a fact we didn't have our 4x100 making the finals, and they qualified, too. By the skin of their teeth.

Where the big shockers came were the field events. We had a few points projected here and there, but this is how it really ended up:

Emily gets 2nd in the high jump. This is all on Coach Dunlap. He is one of the best jumps coach I've ever been around. Lauryn finished 6th in it.

In the pole vault, Emily gets over the bar and gets 8th (getting over the bar was a struggle for us that year)

Lauryn finishes 3rd in the long jump. Another Bruce Dunlap special. Lauryn had not jumped even close to what she ended up jumping at state.

Lauryn and Emily go 3rd/4th in triple jump. This is where Coach Dunlap really shined. He was a triple jump master. I never saw someone take athletes you would never expect to triple jump and have them over 30 feet or beyond. I think he had a triple jumper place every year for many consecutive years.

Our shot put girl, Sadie, just blew our minds with her competitiveness and got 2nd in shot put. I don't think we had her scoring.

Unfortunatley, on my end, our 4x800 did not score. They finished 10th.

Yet, we were still in the lead coming out of the field events and we DID NOT expect that at all. We had passed our projected points by 20 and we hadn't ran yet.

Lauryn ended up finishing 7th and 5th in the 100/200. Which was fine with us, considering what she was battling that very day. She didn't place in the 300 hurdles. I think that was our only hangup of the day.

We don't place in the 800/1600, that's on me. We tried to give the athletes that qualified for state the best opportunity to score, but we just couldn't pull it off. It was starting to become clear that we weren't going to win the state title at this point, as Quitman was running away with it, but we knew we had an outside shot at runner up.

With the 3200 meter run coming up, we were down two to Foreman. We grabbed our 3200 meter runner and just asked her to compete. She ran her heart out and a PR to get a 7th place. One of my favorite moments in this short time helping with distance there. This meant we were tied with Foreman going into the final event and whoever finished ahead of the other team would be state runner up.

Foreman was projected to beat us by quite a bit. Actually, we ran in the slower heat, while Foreman would be in the faster heat.

Coach Dunlap and I pep talked to the girls and asked the seniors to give everything they had. That's all we could ask for. They did. I believe they ran something like a 15-20 second PR and finished first in their heat. We just had to time watch for Foreman. Around the 3rd or 4th leg, I could tell it would take something catastrophic for Foreman not to run faster than us, and sure enough they did.

They finished 4th, we finished 6th in the 4x400.

We finished 3rd place, 2 points behind state runner up. We scored 50 overall and I'm not joking when I say we had us projected for around 20, maybe less.

I think the girls realized that after all we had been through that year, that was a great result in the end. We didn't accomplish our girl to start off the year, but that is fine.

I can't ever thank Coach D enough for showing me so many lessons in coaching in general and coaching track and field.

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2019, 06:06:10 pm »
Big shout out to Bruce!!!    I may have shared this story on here, but, it is worth sharing again because it shows his true character.   My older daughter was a senior and my youngest a freshman.  Girls discus for the older and girls triple jump for the youngest.  At Ft. Smith Southside for State.   I am at discus with older while my youngest for some reason got off on her approach.  She and teammates are trying to get me to come over there but I am not going to miss my oldest's final throws of high school career.  Bruce (and David Peach from Union Christian) were over there at triple jump.  They work with my younger daughter and get her steps down.  She hits one and is standing in about 7th going into the finals. Bruce gives her  some advice which improves her marks but not her standing.  Then he helps again with it increasing her 5th jump  as well but still in 6th.  He gives her one more tip and she hits a big one jumping up to bronze medal as a freshman.  She was so excited and happy.  We visit about it and she always mentions thankful for Bruce being there for her.  Will always mean a lot to me too!      Just one of many examples I could give of his positive role modeling.

Bruce Dunlap:  great coach, great guy.   

(Side note:  older daughter won the gold and I got to see it!!!). 

Offline hurryup

• Band Nerd
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2019, 11:44:22 am »
Thanks Almatrackster and Rattler43 for the kind remarks but not necessary. I love seeing kids reach and go beyond their potential even if it's not my kids I'm coaching. I'd hope most coaches would do the same for my kids (I know you two would). Looking forward to our first ever Indoor meet with my kids and outdoor season as well.

Online RATTLER43

• Head Coach
  • Old School
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2019, 03:43:28 pm »
Not necessary, maybe, but needful, yes.  You are a great ambassador for the sport and an awesome coach to boot.   
Coach Dunlap story #2:   My younger daughter is now a senior in 2014. She narrowly missed team championships in 2011, 2012 (her torn hamstring was the only thing standing in our way of dominating the meet), and 2013. She is in the anchor leg position for our 4x800 relay.  She gets the baton 100m out of first and runs the girl down but with 200m remaining is running out of gas.  Bruce yells at Brittney, "Don't let her get away!" sending a boost of adrenaline with Brittney knowing his voice from all the help over the years.  She battles the pain of the 200m kick of the half mile against the #1 ranked Marmaduke anchor and takes the gold by about a foot running her then best split of 2:27. We won state by 1.5 points meaning that extra 2 points made the difference. Bruce, our entire team will always be thankful!!   She brings up your yelling at her being pivotal every time we reminisce about track days.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center