Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Saturday, January 18th, 2020.
Jonesboro Westside's Logan McPherson is Week 8 Player of the Week
Strong's Derrion Davis named Fearless Friday Player of the Week
Last week was our last week of Thursday Night televised games. Thanks for watching. Contact Lanny if your team wants on TV next season.
Conference season is underway. Be sure to check the Standings tab.
The season nears and we have you covered with the new look Fearless Friday Home Page. Forums remain the same.
FearlessFriday Thursday Night Football returns. Springdale Har-ber @ Pulaski Academy Week 0, Lakeside @ Lake Hamilton week 1.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board

Author Topic: Arkansas Razorback Football 2019: The Rebuild.  (Read 24360 times)

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: Arkansas Razorback Football 2019: The Rebuild.
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2019, 10:54:05 am »
Itís official he has been let go.

Hoping for a good hire

Offline Pantherdaddy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #351 on: November 10, 2019, 04:54:24 pm »
Candidates for the job??

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
  • The Only discipline that lasts, is Self discipline
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2019, 06:03:45 pm »
Candidates for the job??
I really like Norvell, I hope we have a shot to get him.  Lots of names flying around in the media, and on Hogville.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arkansas-coaching-candidates-mike-norvell-mike-leach-bill-clark-lead-replacements-for-chad-morris/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:06:55 pm by JacketFan »

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #353 on: November 10, 2019, 07:51:02 pm »
As long as they donít run after Gus again I could probably live just about anyone.

I would imagine they would make a run at Norvell. But who knows. It will season end before anyone is really offered one would think. Crazier things have happened though

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #354 on: November 10, 2019, 07:57:35 pm »
Do you think Norvell can recruit 4 star athletes out of Texas?  Maybe get back the ones who changed their minds today?  This next coaching hire is a Hail Mary!  No need to get in a hurry - take a year or two if needed.   :-\   

It wouldn't do any good to go after a coach like Gus anyway, only a coach who doesn't have a career to risk would dare come here.  Maybe a coach, ready to retire, who want's to bank 10 million or so.

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
« Reply #355 on: November 10, 2019, 08:00:29 pm »
As long as they donít run after Gus again I could probably live just about anyone.

I would imagine they would make a run at Norvell. But who knows. It will season end before anyone is really offered one would think. Crazier things have happened though
I doubt they can afford Gus with all the buyouts looming over the admin.  Most decent coaches will try to finish out there season before making that decision, so it doesn't put a dark cloud over that teams season.  We need some sort of contract that is based on the team showing improvement with this next coach.

Offline Lumberjackfan1978

• All Star
« Reply #356 on: November 10, 2019, 08:45:27 pm »
Hopefully they make the right hire this time. I don't know may have trouble getting a good coach in here now we are so for down the gutter

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #357 on: November 10, 2019, 09:41:10 pm »
Maybe we get one with a winning record this time 🤦

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #358 on: November 11, 2019, 05:53:04 am »
A winning record and being able to win in the SEC West, where you play the #1 team in America 2 or 3 times a season, are two different things.  The conference has actually been down for SEC Standards but it's coming back strong now.  Next year will be tough!

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2019, 06:19:41 am »
Letís start with the rent a wins first. We paid teams about 4 to 6 million dollars to come in and beat us.

Norvell has beaten more SEC teams than Chad Morris did and way more P5 schools. Thatís why we are having a coaching search now. Plus the guy failed to motivate this locker room two years in a row and some of them his own recruits.

Any hire is a gamble. No one new Morris was going to be this bad though many of us didnít like the hire from the beginning.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2019, 06:27:09 am »
I doubt they can afford Gus with all the buyouts looming over the admin.  Most decent coaches will try to finish out there season before making that decision, so it doesn't put a dark cloud over that teams season.  We need some sort of contract that is based on the team showing improvement with this next coach.
Well this is what we thought last time. We canít afford him, his buyout was less. However they were ready to pony up 7 plus million a year for him. Thereís still a faction of Gus lovers out there. All you have to do is see the reception he got at Razorback stadium when he came in the building, hugs and handshakes all around. They will pay to get their man or at least try. Hopefully they donít waste that time on him. I havenít wanted him since the beginning.

There will be plenty of rumors between now and then. This one is gonna take time for sure

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2019, 06:31:42 am »
A winning record and being able to win in the SEC West, where you play the #1 team in America 2 or 3 times a season, are two different things.  The conference has actually been down for SEC Standards but it's coming back strong now.  Next year will be tough!
If they hire another coach that has a losing record to start with they might as well tear down the stadium or convert it to a monster truck stadium.

We gotta start somewhere. Who knows Iíd the next guy gets it done. Morris wasnít. Look at the players coming out about this guy. I donít know what he did but very few players on his side. Look at what happened on the field

Online Trojanbird

• 2nd String
  • Over the Hill
« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2019, 09:12:11 am »
I just hope that the powers that be don't screw this up yet again!

Offline bleudog

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
  • 11/02/06: Never give up, never give out.
« Reply #363 on: November 11, 2019, 11:37:23 am »

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
« Reply #364 on: November 11, 2019, 11:43:00 am »

Outstanding, if anyone can turn them around its Trump!

Offline Romeo

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • Tall pines, pink tomatoes, and wide receivers.
« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2019, 10:39:47 am »
There's a lot of fans and media pushing for Mike Leach to be the next coach, but I don't think he's someone Hunter Yuracheck would seriously consider. I don't think their personalities would mesh well.

Offline dirtybird12

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2019, 12:05:49 pm »
Can we mull Mark Right out of retirement?

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2019, 08:10:38 pm »
There's a lot of fans and media pushing for Mike Leach to be the next coach, but I don't think he's someone Hunter Yuracheck would seriously consider. I don't think their personalities would mesh well.
Winning heals a lot of relationships. Leach has won everywhere heís been with less. Does it translate to the SEC is the real question.

I think HY has his list and has had it. I think all options should be considered. A proven winner should be first thing in his mind imo. No matter the crazy antics

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #368 on: November 14, 2019, 10:16:44 am »
Winning heals a lot of relationships. Leach has won everywhere heís been with less. Does it translate to the SEC is the real question.

I think HY has his list and has had it. I think all options should be considered. A proven winner should be first thing in his mind imo. No matter the crazy antics
Razorback football is obviously in a bad place and has gotten worse under Morris.  Hopefully we will get a guy with a winning record this time and certainly with Head Coaching experience.

Offline bleudog

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #369 on: November 14, 2019, 10:24:05 am »

Any college AD who doesn't have a current list at all times isn't worth having.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #370 on: November 14, 2019, 05:03:04 pm »
Exactly. And Iím sure HY had a long one after San Jose State

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #371 on: November 15, 2019, 04:15:44 am »

He's not going to be a winner, in the SEC West, with 3 star athletes.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #372 on: November 15, 2019, 06:12:48 pm »
He's not going to be a winner, in the SEC West, with 3 star athletes.
Give the 3 stars thing a break. Whoever comes in here is going to have to do better recruiting and developing.

We know this.

Mike Leach WANTS this job. Yeah was garbag til he got there WSU was garbage til he got there.

He would need a heck of a DC. Bet we would have a heck of a QB by the time he was done.

No one said itís going to be easy.

Whoever it is is going to have to do the same thing.

Mike Irwin said that if Pittman is named coach, donít think he will be, but he would bring 4 or 5 highly rated lineman. Could the right hire bring Pittman back. Itís possible. Supposedly he loves Arkansas and still has a house here. That helps recruiting. And name the guy coach in waiting.

But just about ANYONE is better than what we just went through. And he had a few really good recruits.

Heck valley you could win 3 games at Arkansas

Offline bleudog

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #373 on: November 15, 2019, 10:10:20 pm »

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #374 on: November 16, 2019, 07:01:10 am »
That would be meh hire. Think some agent is trying to hard

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #375 on: November 18, 2019, 07:37:15 am »
Give the 3 stars thing a break.

Supposedly he loves Arkansas and still has a house here. That helps recruiting.

Heck valley you could win 3 games at Arkansas

The 3 star thing is the block in Arkansas getting back to relevance.  You know you need better recruits, but you don't understand the SEC West picture...  However maybe it doesn't need to be repeated, so much, because I can only see 1 life line.  Four SEC West Teams lose their Football Programs because of NCAA Violations. 

A coach "loving Arkansas" will have no effect on recruiting Texas 4/5 star recruits.

Yes I know/played a lot more football than you.  Enough to know arm chair coaches have no clue what it takes to be a college coach.   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:39:04 am by Valleysports »

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #376 on: November 18, 2019, 09:44:17 pm »
The 3 star thing is the block in Arkansas getting back to relevance.  You know you need better recruits, but you don't understand the SEC West picture...  However maybe it doesn't need to be repeated, so much, because I can only see 1 life line.  Four SEC West Teams lose their Football Programs because of NCAA Violations. 

A coach "loving Arkansas" will have no effect on recruiting Texas 4/5 star recruits.

Yes I know/played a lot more football than you.  Enough to know arm chair coaches have no clue what it takes to be a college coach.
Arkansas does have to recruit Texas. But it canít count on it alone.

It will have to be a progression. And there has been no real progress the last two years.

I do t know who the coach will be. But I know he has to show progress to be able to recruit. You canít bring kids in and then the crap you been filling their heads with not work out. Then you get your bluff called.

Arkansas can be a decent program and go to a bowl game most years. Iím not asking for national titles. Gotta beat the sisters of the poor first.

And I guess I just donít see why folks canít see that. Itís bad right now. Arkansas is a better job than Ole miss or MSU. Not recently but overall.

And you donít have to be Nick Saban to tell what Morris was doing wasnít working. I wasnít happy with that hire. I gave him a chance. Was ok with his initial recruiting and if he had won some games it probably would have gotten better but alas here we are.

The next guy will get his chance as long as he is showing progress. Canít be losing to San Jose States of the world.

Arkansas shouldnít be the worst program in the SEC, one of the worst in the country right now. There is nothing wrong with wanting and expecting more as a fan. Iíve seen our highs and this low of lows.

First step is hire someone. Next is to look like a prepared football team some time on the near future.

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
« Reply #377 on: November 18, 2019, 09:49:35 pm »
All of my fortune cookies, and psychics I have been talking too say Lane Kiffin has already inked a deal behind closed doors.  They are just waiting for everyone's season to be over to break the news.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 03:57:25 pm by JacketFan »

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #378 on: November 18, 2019, 10:07:39 pm »
Iíve read the rumors.

Iím fine with just about anyone but I donít want Gus, even though he would an improvement. Just donít like the guy, seems shady, played us for a big raise and he doesnít want to be here unless he gets fired or canít get another job after that.

Donít want Butch Jones either. Donít want champions of life around here done had enough coach speak.

I like watching Mussleman presser. Dude is telling you whatís going on out there on the court. Then you hear Mason Jones get on there and say we had them scouted good and knew what they were gonna do. We never did that last year. I think HY made a good hire here which gives hope for this football hire. Time will tell.

And you donít have to have played for 20 years to tell if a team is well coached. It shows on the court and the field.

Offline sportsguy80

• 2nd String
« Reply #379 on: November 18, 2019, 10:41:56 pm »
All of my fortune cookies, and psychics I have been talking too say Lane Kiffin has already inked a deal behind closed doors.  They are just waiting for everyone's season is over to break the news.
Iím hearing the same from some of my sources too. Like you said once the season is over we should definitely know something.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #380 on: November 18, 2019, 11:00:00 pm »
How would everyone feel about it if true. Iíd be good with. I donít see national titles.

Good recruiting and decent coach. Definitely a step up from where we are.

Think he gets us at least mediocre again.

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
« Reply #381 on: November 18, 2019, 11:13:38 pm »
How would everyone feel about it if true. Iíd be good with. I donít see national titles.

Good recruiting and decent coach. Definitely a step up from where we are.

Think he gets us at least mediocre again.
Good coach, decent recruiter, and has Razorback lineage, but the only thing wrong with Kiffin is Kiffin.  He seems to do a lot of bonehead things, so if he stays in his lane, coaches up the players, and shows at least a upward progression of the team, he should be just fine.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #382 on: November 18, 2019, 11:20:24 pm »
Good coach, decent recruiter, and has Razorback lineage, but the only thing wrong with Kiffin is Kiffin.  He seems to do a lot of bonehead things, so if he stays in his lane, coaches up the players, and shows at least a upward progression of the team, he should be just fine.
Would hope heís grown up a little. Nothing wrong with a little cockiness.

Not the first time heís wanted the job either. There are others that would be decent hires that have been mentioned.

Guess everyone is expecting around the first week of December for business to really pick up. HY seems to play it really close to the best as they say

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
« Reply #383 on: November 18, 2019, 11:49:58 pm »
Would hope heís grown up a little. Nothing wrong with a little cockiness.

Not the first time heís wanted the job either. There are others that would be decent hires that have been mentioned.

Guess everyone is expecting around the first week of December for business to really pick up. HY seems to play it really close to the best as they say
Lets just pray the next coach does a little better than this past one.  I admit, I didn't like that hire, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but he just kept making it harder, and harder to believe in him each week. 

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #384 on: November 19, 2019, 05:52:52 am »
Thatís all we can hope and I was the same way. San Jose did me in on Morris. I just donít think itís to much to ask to look like you prepared for a game. Morris was always saying it doesnít matter what other teams do Iím worried about us. Well you kind of have to scout the other team and seemed like he only prepared for one game and that was A&M.

Mussleman already knows every play Texas Southernis going to run tonight. What each of their players tendencies are and has a plan to stop that. We just havenít seen that in our football the past 3 years at least.

I really didnít think it could get this bad but here we are. Iíd it ainít bottom itís close enough to stir the mud for sure. Seen one guy post someplace that it was a sinking ship. Another replied nope itís sunk and this is something you have to salvage from the bottom. Just hope it is t the titanic and itís so deep and broke they just leave it and occasionally look at it with little robots

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #385 on: November 20, 2019, 06:35:10 am »
Some sensible post there bduby lol

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #386 on: November 20, 2019, 02:09:11 pm »
I get confused sometimes. Probably the Crown I drink. Could be working to much. Lol

Hopefully find out who the new HC is in a couple weeks and then cross our fingers again.

If you have an agent have him contact HY. Probably can get you 1.5 or so with a 15 mil buyout. Lol. Iíd seriously take you over Gus or Butch. Just something about those guys I donít like.

Gonna be tough to change the culture up there for sure whoever gets the job.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #387 on: November 21, 2019, 10:22:43 am »
Mike Norvell is probably off the table... He straight up told U of A officials he wants the Florida State job.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
  • Storm into the party like my name was El Nino
« Reply #388 on: November 21, 2019, 03:27:29 pm »
Lame Duck 2.0 is on its way.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #389 on: November 21, 2019, 03:33:36 pm »
I think that's been the thought for a while now. Just now its being officially reported, somewhat I guess, by two souces. Very possible Kiffin is the guy then. I'm fairly sure FSU is interested in Norvell, why wouldn't they be. They are in better shape than Arkansas right now as well.

Also how many more jobs are going to open up could determine the pool of candidates.

Supposedly HY has full backing to go get his guy. Whoever that is. Maybe they are taking this serious this time. Cant build that big addition and have it be empty long, may have to turn it in to a big video board. lol

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #390 on: November 21, 2019, 03:39:46 pm »
Lame Duck 2.0 is on its way.
So far I haven't seen many of the Morris types mentioned in the search rumors. Just maybe not the splash hire. I didn't really wont Norvell last time but its obvious Arkansas missed the boat on him last time if they wanted him.

And all the guys mentioned may not even be the guy. If they are willing for a coach and the right staff then things could work out.

I'm willing to let the work after the Muss hire. I have high hopes but tempered expectations for Bball this year.

Some coaches like a challenge. for sure though HY knows this has to be a solid hire.

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
« Reply #391 on: November 21, 2019, 03:58:09 pm »
All of my fortune cookies, and psychics I have been talking too say Lane Kiffin has already inked a deal behind closed doors.  They are just waiting for everyone's season to be over to break the news.
Bump

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #392 on: November 21, 2019, 05:51:22 pm »
Hoping you are right. Cause who knows what jobs open here in two weeks and push us down the list.

I have hope but there is always that feeling that we will end up stinking it up. Just our luck.

Offline bleudog

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
« Reply #394 on: November 21, 2019, 06:14:54 pm »
https://katv.com/sports/hog-central/houston-nutt-says-arkansas-has-contacted-him-about-coaching-job
I am hoping this was just a general conversation about the search for a new coach, and not the hogs offering it to him.  If HY did offer it to him, we are fixing be in the same boat we were just in with this last coach.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #395 on: November 21, 2019, 07:34:37 pm »
Someone there reach out to him and asked him about recruiting to Arkansas and some candidates is what i read. He did a radio show today. Iíll try and find the transcript. I would also think this is to throw some folks off of other candidates.

We arenít hiring Nutt. 1. It divides the fan base. 2. How long has the guy been out of coaching. 3. The answer he gave to the recruiting might have worked a decade ago but it ainít gonna work now.

I didnít hate Nutt and despite what folks say he won while he was here. But itís time to move in from the past. Nutt, Gus and even Petrino. It hardly ever works the second time around

Offline JacketFan

• Starter
« Reply #396 on: November 21, 2019, 08:57:14 pm »
I am still sticking with the info my psychics provided, Lane Kiffin is a done deal, says the Magic 8 Ball!

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #397 on: November 21, 2019, 10:55:48 pm »
Kiffen said he really likes, loves the people, and is very happy where he's at.  But coaching in the SEC is luring.  Could be softening the blow with locals JacketFan.  Love you guys but they're calling my number.  Arkansas really does have a great retirement package.

Offline BLEUcoo

• Bench Warmer
  • Know your role.
« Reply #398 on: November 22, 2019, 08:58:02 am »
I hope the powers that be are smarter than hiring Kiffin but i did see them give Bert an extension for no reason at all with a huge buyout. I'm not sure Kiffin can handle the SEC yet. He really isn't excelling above and beyond where he's at right now in his third year with more of his players.

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #399 on: November 22, 2019, 09:32:55 am »
Just wins over 60% of his games. Nothing spectacular on his resume but consistent at each stop. We could do worse. See last two years.

Norvell seems to have put us on the back burner and waiting on bigger fish.

There will be a couple more jobs open for sure. The pressure to win here will be high but not as high as other places. Say FSU, Auburn if they let Gus go(even if they do we ainít getting Gus), USC May be opening. Then things really start to shuffle.

If you have Kiffin in the bag you do it.

Iíve heard Bill Clark- has rebuilt UAB, but have they beaten anyone with a winning record? Iím really not sure.

Willie Fritz- I know nothing about. So that should answer the question for most folks. Would seem kind of a Morris hire as he comes out of nowhere to me.

Justin Fuente- Lateral move is it not or even a step down from VA tech.

Freeze- supposedly he is really interested. But can he do what he did at OM without the $$$$.

Nutt- this dude is trying to get in the spotlight

Petrino- seems to ha e lost some fire from the old days. Just donít think it would be like it was and people would expect that.

Who else we talking about. Oh the guy from Cincinnati. Decent record i guess.

Any and all are gambles. I think if you get to far down the list you bite the bullet and go full nuke. Hire Pittman, at least you know he will recruit. Give him money for experienced coordinators and see if you get lucky.

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center