Author Topic: Arm Chair Officials  (Read 2437 times)

Offline football_referee

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • Bench Warmer
  • First Down
    • RefStripes
Arm Chair Officials
« on: September 29, 2019, 07:43:32 pm »
This is for all the arm chair officials out there
Its time to put your money where you mouth is
Arkansas like every other state is needing officials
use this link to sign up to be an official
http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/AOA/AOA_Application_2019-2020.pdf
then find an official in your area(if you need assistant in finding a official in your area pm me and I will get you in touch with one)
It is easy to criticize officials but it is tough to step up and be one in a game
Most high school game the officiating crew has 5 sets of eyes watching 22 players
Out of those 5 sets of eyes you have certain zones and key you must watch
in order to call a foul you must see the whole action around the play 

Today players are Faster, Stronger then years past and as a officials you have see the play analyze and process it all in the blink of a eye and yes we make mistakes and we are going to miss calls
Now with the technology today is easy to sit in a chair with a remote on a big screen with multiple angles oh and lets not forget slow motion and even going frame by frame and all the time in the world to pick apart ever aspect of the game.

As long as humans Play the game, Coach the game, and officiate the game there will NEVER
a prefect game

believe this or not but 99% of the officials do not go out and say hey let screw this team tonight. All the official I know personally take great pride in their effort. It bothers us when we miss a call but missed call are not the sole factor in costing a team the game its the human error of all the pieces of the puzzle

You have heard this before you can call holding on every play and if we did call holding on every play game would be 8 hours long and nobody wants that you would also start hearing from the stands let them play.
As officials we are taught to officiate the point of attack so most of the time if the play is going right and the back side end is held you are going to let it slide.
There are two type of officiating Text book officiating and common sense officiating you need a mix of both to be a great official

Officiating High School Football is different on what NCAA or NFL rule are
Just because it not a foul on Saturday does not means it not a foul on Friday night at last count there is over 100 rule differences between Friday night and Saturday. Yes I have seen High School officials that watch too much Saturday ball and not have his nose enough in the NFHS rule book
and they make bone head calls

Just because you go out and buy you a striped shirt and a whistle dose not make you a official it takes hours of studying, getting on the field and actually get snaps under your belt its not waking up one day and say I think I want to referee football I work with and evaluate new officials every year I spend hours watching film watching what was done wrong and what was done right. If you break down what I do as an official I spend just about as much time as I do my Job. I do not officiate for the money if I did as much time as I put into it I be making pennies on the hour I do it for the love of the game

This is the end of my long rant, but I will leave you with this
I will answer any questions you have about rules I will even watch clips of plays that you submit to me
What I will not do is call out a crew or official  I will not bash a crew and I will not get into any arguments about rules and plays
I am serious we just not in Arkansas but the United States need officials the core group is getting to the retirement age, I am 50 years old I have about 12-15 years left on the field.  We have officials leaving every year and right now More leave than are coming in
So if you like to be yelled at, cursed, and yes even threaten, with long hours and low to no pay sign up

Thanks
Football_Referee

Online Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
Re: Arm Chair Officials
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:58:10 am »
What does an official make for High school and jr high games in South Arkansas? Asking for someone else.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:21:42 pm by Oldman »

Offline arreferee

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 03:19:38 pm »
What does an official make for High school and jr high games in South Arkansas? Asking for someone else.

Someone else can add better information if they have it, but from what I hear, you can make around $100 per night...assuming 2 junior high games on Thursday and 1 senior high game on Friday.

Online Oldman

• Legend
  • Waiting on 2021
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 05:43:10 pm »
Someone else can add better information if they have it, but from what I hear, you can make around $100 per night...assuming 2 junior high games on Thursday and 1 senior high game on Friday.
Thanks

Offline POWERCAT PRIDE

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 08:43:00 pm »

Where??? I never saw that in South Arkansas when I was wearing the stripes. LOL

Offline arreferee

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 08:38:00 am »
Where??? I never saw that in South Arkansas when I was wearing the stripes. LOL

I wasn't getting that when I got out of high school football either, but I'm pretty sure they make that now.  15 years ago, a crew out of Camden was getting $100 each Friday night. 

Offline BryanM67

• Water Boy
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 09:07:48 am »
This is for all the arm chair officials out there
Its time to put your money where you mouth is
Arkansas like every other state is needing officials
use this link to sign up to be an official
http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/AOA/AOA_Application_2019-2020.pdf
then find an official in your area(if you need assistant in finding a official in your area pm me and I will get you in touch with one)
It is easy to criticize officials but it is tough to step up and be one in a game
Most high school game the officiating crew has 5 sets of eyes watching 22 players
Out of those 5 sets of eyes you have certain zones and key you must watch
in order to call a foul you must see the whole action around the play 

Today players are Faster, Stronger then years past and as a officials you have see the play analyze and process it all in the blink of a eye and yes we make mistakes and we are going to miss calls
Now with the technology today is easy to sit in a chair with a remote on a big screen with multiple angles oh and lets not forget slow motion and even going frame by frame and all the time in the world to pick apart ever aspect of the game.

As long as humans Play the game, Coach the game, and officiate the game there will NEVER
a prefect game

believe this or not but 99% of the officials do not go out and say hey let screw this team tonight. All the official I know personally take great pride in their effort. It bothers us when we miss a call but missed call are not the sole factor in costing a team the game its the human error of all the pieces of the puzzle

You have heard this before you can call holding on every play and if we did call holding on every play game would be 8 hours long and nobody wants that you would also start hearing from the stands let them play.
As officials we are taught to officiate the point of attack so most of the time if the play is going right and the back side end is held you are going to let it slide.
There are two type of officiating Text book officiating and common sense officiating you need a mix of both to be a great official

Officiating High School Football is different on what NCAA or NFL rule are
Just because it not a foul on Saturday does not means it not a foul on Friday night at last count there is over 100 rule differences between Friday night and Saturday. Yes I have seen High School officials that watch too much Saturday ball and not have his nose enough in the NFHS rule book
and they make bone head calls

Just because you go out and buy you a striped shirt and a whistle dose not make you a official it takes hours of studying, getting on the field and actually get snaps under your belt its not waking up one day and say I think I want to referee football I work with and evaluate new officials every year I spend hours watching film watching what was done wrong and what was done right. If you break down what I do as an official I spend just about as much time as I do my Job. I do not officiate for the money if I did as much time as I put into it I be making pennies on the hour I do it for the love of the game

This is the end of my long rant, but I will leave you with this
I will answer any questions you have about rules I will even watch clips of plays that you submit to me
What I will not do is call out a crew or official  I will not bash a crew and I will not get into any arguments about rules and plays
I am serious we just not in Arkansas but the United States need officials the core group is getting to the retirement age, I am 50 years old I have about 12-15 years left on the field.  We have officials leaving every year and right now More leave than are coming in
So if you like to be yelled at, cursed, and yes even threaten, with long hours and low to no pay sign up

Thanks
Football_Referee

As a retired official (due to my elderly parents' needs I had to make my 11th season my last season), I wanted to add on to this.
1.  You don't have to be a former football player to officiate football.  I didn't (I had no athletic ability in junior high/high school - found that out in basketball LOL).  But it seems like I had a larger learning curve as a result.
2.  You have to learn real quick whose opinions really matter.  In the end, just let the coach vent.  In the end you only need to know you and your crew got the call right.  If you make a mistake, just learn from it.  Your mistake is not going to cost any kid a scholarship. 
3.  The fact that there are not enough officials does affect the level of officiating.  I once saw a HS game in Louisiana with my uncle.  They had 6 field officials, and an official in the booth (running the clock).  We could never have that here due to the lack of numbers. It would help with Pass Interference calls (and catch/no catch calls), if the BJ was not the only official in the backfield.  Also, the clock would run more consistently if there was a booth official.  But I don't see that happening anytime soon.
4.  I have been told there are more officials age 60 and up, then there are officials under 35 (someone please confirm).  If there is any truth to this, the referee shortage is only going to get worse. 
5.  The best part of officiating is not collecting your game fees (though the extra spending money does help).  It's the comradery on those out of town trips.  Your all serious going to the game in a fun way, but lots of cutting up on the way home.  And it's also those real exciting close games that you got to be on the field for.  It's the best seat in the house.

Offline Coach Jones

• Starter
  • What's a guy got to do to get a clap around here?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 09:50:49 am »
If I ever stop coaching I would defiantly ref.  If the health holds up that is.   

Offline KOJACK

• Assistant Coach
  • ifyouseekay
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 12:02:35 pm »
A lot of these officials in southwest Arkansas are getting too much money...even if it was $10

Offline arreferee

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 04:55:51 pm »
A lot of these officials in southwest Arkansas are getting too much money...even if it was $10

If that's the case, please sign up and start working. 

Offline B2 Stealth Bomber

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 08:25:30 am »
If that's the case, please sign up and start working. 

But it's so much easier to whine from the stands. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas