Author Topic: The All Soccer Thread(US soccer, EPL, European leagues, Spanish/Mexican leagues.)  (Read 208929 times)

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
  • Screw The Thought Police.
Christian Pulisic with an AMAZING goal!!!!!!

1-0 Chelsea on top of city.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Kyle Walker denies a second goal by Pulisic.

Then more shenanigans at the goal line. Questionable ref calls too.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
After VAR, shenanigans verified. PK for Willian is good. 2-1 Chelsea.

Liverpool clinches EPL if this score stands.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Chelsea remains 5 points ahead of Man United for a spot with the champions league.

And in bigger news, Liverpool is officially the 2019-2020 Premier League Champions.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:14:05 pm by AirWarren »

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Chelsea remains 5 points ahead of Man United for a spot with the champions league.

And in bigger news, Liverpool is officially the 2019-2020 Premier League Champions.

Chelsea looking solid for Champions League again. Pulisic looks a little more physically strong after the break. If he adds just a little strength he will be unreal the speed and quickness he is blessed with. He looks hungry right now.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Chelsea looking solid for Champions League again. Pulisic looks a little more physically strong after the break. If he adds just a little strength he will be unreal the speed and quickness he is blessed with. He looks hungry right now.

He has definitely bulked up. And he plays so fast out there. He has deceptive speed.

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
  • State Champs 1986, 2000, 2013 & 2018
Bundesliga finished today with Bayern Munich winning their 8th straight championship.

Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig and Mönchengladbach also qualified for the Champions League, though Dortmund embarrassed themselves today by losing 0-4 at home to Hoffenheim with Kramaric scoring all four goals. That put Hoffenheim in the Europa League.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Bundesliga finished today with Bayern Munich winning their 8th straight championship.

Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig and Mönchengladbach also qualified for the Champions League, though Dortmund embarrassed themselves today by losing 0-4 at home to Hoffenheim with Kramaric scoring all four goals. That put Hoffenheim in the Europa League.

I forgot they only play 34 matches and not 38... Plus throw in the fact they got a 3 week head start kicking back off that was a quick finish to their season compared to the rest of Europe. Bayern can't be stopped in Germany.

Also, Leeds United beat Fulham 3-0 in the Championship when Fulham was in 3rd place and Leeds in 2nd. This moved Leeds to 1st along with West Brom's loss today. That now puts Leeds United 8 points clear of 3rd place and their fixtures the rest of the way out are filled with bottom table clubs. They will have to really mess it up now to not be back in the Premier League where a club that big belongs with only 7 matches remaining.

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
I forgot they only play 34 matches and not 38... Plus throw in the fact they got a 3 week head start kicking back off that was a quick finish to their season compared to the rest of Europe. Bayern can't be stopped in Germany.

Also, Leeds United beat Fulham 3-0 in the Championship when Fulham was in 3rd place and Leeds in 2nd. This moved Leeds to 1st along with West Brom's loss today. That now puts Leeds United 8 points clear of 3rd place and their fixtures the rest of the way out are filled with bottom table clubs. They will have to really mess it up now to not be back in the Premier League where a club that big belongs with only 7 matches remaining.

That also put Brentford in third place after they beat 2nd place West Brom.  The Bees are only five points back of the Baggies and have a favorable schedule as well.

It would be amazing if Brentford made it. The last time they were in the top flight of English football was 1946-47. If Bournemouth were to go down I’d like to see Brentford take their place. But of course I hope both are in the Premier League next season.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
That also put Brentford in third place after they beat 2nd place West Brom.  The Bees are only five points back of the Baggies and have a favorable schedule as well.

It would be amazing if Brentford made it. The last time they were in the top flight of English football was 1946-47. If Bournemouth were to go down I’d like to see Brentford take their place. But of course I hope both are in the Premier League next season.

Would love to see Brentford come up... Norwich City look almost certain to drop. Then you have Watford, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, and West Ham all crammed together at 27 and 28 points. The 4 of them are fighting for 2 spots and looks like it will come down to the final day. Imagine West Ham playing in the Olympic Stadium playing in the Championship. Their fans will go bonkers

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Freaking Kepa. I swear.

1-0 west Ham. We are in VAR.

Goal reversed due to interference and offside.

0-0 in the 37th.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:54:08 pm by AirWarren »

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Penalty kick for Chelsea after a penalty on Pulisic in the box.

1-0 CHELSEA!!!! WILLIAN WITH THE PK. 41st.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Another set piece.

Another blown save by Kepa. 1-1.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Penalty kick for Chelsea after a penalty on Pulisic in the box.

1-0 CHELSEA!!!! WILLIAN WITH THE PK. 41st.

Pulisic is freaking unreal again after the break... Captain America

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Freaking Kepa. Again.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Freaking Kepa. Again.

Literally West Ham have shot 2 shots on target and scored both times. They don't deserve to be in the lead. Chelsea 70% possession. They'll get another one, but can they get 2 for the win and win 3-2. I was hoping West Ham would lose, I want to see them relegated.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Literally West Ham have shot 2 shots on target and scored both times. They don't deserve to be in the lead. Chelsea 70% possession. They'll get another one, but can they get 2 for the win and win 3-2. I was hoping West Ham would lose, I want to see them relegated.

Chelsea is in the driver’s seat to finish champions league qualifiers. They literally play the lame ducks the next 8. Looks like they want to avoid champions league again in this game.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
My gosh what a beautiful set piece strike by Willian!!!! 2-2

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Got it back... 20 minutes to get another

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Chelsea blew it on the counter attack in the 89th.

3-2 west ham.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Good grief... 25% possession and 3 shots on target for West Ham and they have 3 goals

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Good grief... 25% possession and 3 shots on target for West Ham and they have 3 goals

Horrible defense. Not sure why Rudiger and christensen were playing so high the entire game. They got beat on many counter attacks.

Rudiger. Loftus cheek. Abraham. Horrible matches for those three.

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
I fear that Bournemouth signed their death warrant today as far as remaining in the Premier league is concerned. They gave a listless performance in a 4-1 loss at home to Newcastle.

The next four for the Cherries are at Manchester United, Spurs at home, Leicester at home, Man City away. The way they are playing right now I don’t see them earning a single point from those matches.

West Ham’s victory against Chelsea certainly didn’t help the Bournemouth cause.

If relegation is to be their fate, it’s been a great five-year run for one of the smallest clubs not just in the Premier League, but in the whole of English league football.

Come on Brentford. They would be worthy successors.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Chelsea takes out Watford by a score of 3-0. Willian, Barkley and Giroud score on the day with another fantastic showing for America’s Christian Pulisic.

Out of a London, many across the game oversees are beginning to compare him to the next Eden Hazard. While I won’t begin my personal comparisons to Eden just yet, Christian is making a huge name for himself on the biggest stage in English and Europe soccer these days. Eden is my favorite former Chelsea player and for him to officially fill his shoes for the blues would absolutely make my day as a Chelsea fan. Very proud to have an American playing at such a high level.

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
Just 7 years ago, Wigan Athletic pulled off one of the biggest upsets in the history of the FA cup beating Manchester City with a 90th minute goal. 

Now, the very existence of the club is under some question. They have been caught up in a scandal; a consortium in the Philippines bought them and has now refused to fund them, forcing them into administration.

It has been rumored that there may have been a bet by people attached to that consortium over whether Wigan would be relegated from the Championship or not.  They had been at or near the bottom three most of the season, until a run of seven wins in a row before a loss to Brentford on Saturday seemingly pulled them into the safety zone. 

They will be docked 12 points, pending appeal. At this point, it would be enough to relegate them.  They are going to need several more wins to be able to remain in the Championship.

I’m reminded of the scene in the movie, Trading Places, where Winthorpe asks Valentine, “The Duke brothers ruined my life over a bet?” 

I just hope that, no matter if a bet was involved or not, this does not represent Wigan’s last chapter.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Wycombe Wanderers and Oxford United will battle out for the last spot of promotion to the Championship from League One with them advancing today. Portsmouth and Fleetwood Town were knocked out of the playoffs today. Wycombe is really a feel good story a lot like Luton Town last year.

And Pulisic has scored twice and created two other penalties in his 4 matches back now. Creating a goal a match isn't too shabby. He made that Watford defender look awful with his quickness on that penalty.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Just 7 years ago, Wigan Athletic pulled off one of the biggest upsets in the history of the FA cup beating Manchester City with a 90th minute goal. 

Now, the very existence of the club is under some question. They have been caught up in a scandal; a consortium in the Philippines bought them and has now refused to fund them, forcing them into administration.

It has been rumored that there may have been a bet by people attached to that consortium over whether Wigan would be relegated from the Championship or not.  They had been at or near the bottom three most of the season, until a run of seven wins in a row before a loss to Brentford on Saturday seemingly pulled them into the safety zone. 

They will be docked 12 points, pending appeal. At this point, it would be enough to relegate them.  They are going to need several more wins to be able to remain in the Championship.

I’m reminded of the scene in the movie, Trading Places, where Winthorpe asks Valentine, “The Duke brothers ruined my life over a bet?” 

I just hope that, no matter if a bet was involved or not, this does not represent Wigan’s last chapter.

It's crazy that little corridor of clubs between Liverpool and Manchester in Wigan, Bolton, and Bury all have gotten into trouble lately. It always blows my mind the amount of clubs a country with 65 million people can support only the physical size of Alabama.

I'd give anything in the USA for a soccer culture in those "mid sized cities" to grow where we had a pyramid structure like England one day with so much club support even for the lower tiers. The pandemic I thought stopped a little steam the United Soccer League had built in the last few years with their USL Championship and USL League One they were having some success in those mid sized markets. Places like Albuquerque, San Antonio, El Paso, Madison WI, Sacramento, Indianapolis, Phoenix, and Louisville were establishing some loyal fan bases finally. We really only needed 8-10 more of those mid sized cities to establish a fan base like that to have some serious tier discussion in the American game. I even heard San Diego, Buffalo, Providence RI, and Boise ID were being added to USL. I think that the USL was really trying to build some momentum and excitement in other markets in the next half decade before we host the World Cup in 2026.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:34:16 pm by beach bum »

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Chelsea over CP 3-2! What an exciting final 10 minutes.

Christian Pulisic continues to stamp his world class play in England. Got a score to make it 2-0.

Chelsea moves to the 3rd place spot for champions league qualifying.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:21:24 pm by AirWarren »

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Chelsea over CP 3-2! What an exciting final 10 minutes.

Christian Pulisic continues to stamp his world class play in England. Got a score to make it 2-0.

Chelsea moves to the 3rd place spot for champions league qualifying.

Keeping his streak of a goal scored or created rolling to 5 matches now for Pulisic...

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Keeping his streak of a goal scored or created rolling to 5 matches now for Pulisic...

So glad to have a world class soccer player at one of the world class teams absolutely making a huge difference for a team with contributions that is home grown Red, white and blue.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
So glad to have a world class soccer player at one of the world class teams absolutely making a huge difference for a team with contributions.

Just saw the goal. You know he is confident when he takes that with his left foot on the short side and just blasts it past the goalie without even thinking.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Just saw the goal. You know he is confident when he takes that with his left foot on the short side and just blasts it past the goalie without even thinking.

That is exactly what I thought too. If the USMT had 6 more of those on their squad, HA!

Offline VHSCoach2

• Fearless Friday Moderator
  • All Star
Norwich dropped another result today. If the Canaries lose their next match to West Ham, they will officially be relegated.

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
Leicester took advantage of a red card to Arsenal to grab a 1-1 draw.  And of course Vardy the scorer.  He has 10 goals in his career against Arsenal alone and has surpassed 100 for his PL career.

In the Championship Brentford picks up another win, over Charlton. 6 in a row for the Bees, with only one goal allowed in that time. That pulls them within two points of West Brom and three from Leeds.  But both of those teams have yet to play their matchday 42 fixtures.

WBA has a tricky game against Derby County.  The Rams won’t just roll over for them.  Leeds is at home to Stoke, and LUFC should get all three points from that match.

Offline VHSCoach2

• All Star
Took on a little project that I think you'll enjoy. Not finished yet, but you can take a look:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cQPtH2pprTShGbFWAtL1PKkW118WjyT5_0gmwX4XbkM/edit#gid=0

Just a quick rundown of the Premier League since 1992-93. I'll update the rest as I can (I'm currently at the 2010-11 season).

I'm also thinking of expanding it to include the League Championship, League One, and League Two histories.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:37:28 pm by VHSCoach2 »

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
I love from time to time looking at who was in the Premier League, Championship, League One, etc. like 20, 30 years ago and so on. So interesting to look at certain clubs history. The 70's and 80's were so interesting. Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds, and Nottingham Forest were the king of the mountain for a while then.

Then you have some of those clubs who have just been steady for a while... West Brom and Norwich come to mind. They never get to low as a club, but never elite either. Just steady clubs. Ispwich Town was in the Championship for 19 or 20 straight years before they dropped last year.

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
Wigan Athletic took a big step toward safety with a 1-0 win over QPR.

That gives them 53, but they will lose 12 points due to going to administration.

Their schedule is very favorable: away to Barnsley (23rd), home to Hull (22nd), away to Charlton (21st) before closing at home to Fulham (4th).

I think if they can get seven points out of the nine from the first three games, that would be enough to see them over the line without having to worry about getting any kind of result against Fulham, who to be fair have practically clinched a least a playoff spot with an outside chance of automatic promotion.

Being in the situation they are in, it might be a better story than when they won the FA Cup in 2013.

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
Bournemouth managed a draw against Spurs and probably should have won. They had a goal disallowed for handball and had a golden chance saved by the Tottenham keeper.

The run in: Leicester (H), Man City (A), Southampton (H), Everton (A).

Assuming they will get nothing against City, I think they require at least seven points from the other three matches, and probably all nine. They really needed a win today.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Being reported that USMNT goalkeeper Zack Steffen will join Manchester City.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Bye bye Canaries.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Bye bye Canaries.

I really expected better from them. I thought they would stay safe fairly comfortably but man they just didn't have the athleticism at the EPL level. Lots of skillful players but can't win without speed and athleticism at this level.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
With West Ham and Watford winning this morning we almost know the relegated teams at this point too. Bournemouth and Aston Villa will need miracles now as they have a much worse goal difference than West Ham and Watford and trail them both by 6 points each. If they had a better goal difference I'd at least give them a punchers chance, but pretty much put a fork in Bournemouth, Aston Villa, and Norwich City.

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
2-0 Sheffield.

Kepa is horrible.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Sheffield United seriously have been one of the biggest surprises ever. I literally had them tabbed to finish dead last at the beginning of the season. Shows how much I know. They have a team salary less than some Championship clubs and lowest in the EPL which is unbelievable. Just imagine if they can buy a few better players with Chris Wilder's culture there.

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
So many of these players for Sheffield United were there all the way back when they were a League One side. McGoldrick, who scored two for them today, was one of those players. And many of them did not get their start in the League, rather having to work their way up through the lower levels.

Another win for Brentford today. Seven in a row and they made it look easy against Derby County.

I’m hearing that another Championship side, Sheffield Wednesday, may be going into administration. That would chalk 12 points off their score and put them in danger of relegation. Wigan did themselves no favors by drawing with Barnsley.

Reading may be in financial trouble as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:08:43 pm by 1-Adam-12 »

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
Sad day as a Chelsea fan.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Brentford now just 3 points out of West Brom and Leeds with 3 matches to go for the Bees... Leeds are lucky that they have an extra game left since they still have to play tomorrow to finish match week 43

Those 3 battling for the 2 auto promotions

Offline VHSCoach2

• All Star
Norwich is the first club to be relegated from the Premier League five times. The Canaries were relegated after the 1994-95, 2004-05, 2013-14, and 2015-16 seasons, and now again in 2019-20. In total, the Canaries have played nine seasons in Top Flight: 1992-93 (3rd), 1993-94 (12th), 1994-95 (20th; relegated), 2004-05 (19th; relegated), 2011-12 (12th), 2012-13 (11th), 2013-14 (18th; relegated), 2015-16 (19th; relegated), 2019-20 (currently 20th; relegated).

However, they are quite far away from being the club with the most relegations from Top Flight overall. In the entire history of Top Flight (so, pre-Premier League), Birmingham City has been relegated twelve times. They have not played Top Flight since 2010-11, when they finished 18th and were relegated, despite winning the League Cup.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:15:43 pm by VHSCoach2 »

Offline 1-Adam-12

• Assistant Coach
With the Watford win yesterday, I think that if Bournemouth doesn’t nick at least one point off LC today, they can get ready to play Championship football next season.

I think they will require at least eight points out of the 4 games they have left. 36 points might only just get them over the line. That would just about require getting a point at Manchester City now.  And the Citizens are playing very well.

West Ham has the easiest run in. They do have Man Utd away next week, but also get Watford and a probably already-relegated Aston Villa at home on either side of it. Watford, after playing West Ham, have City and Arsenal back to back.

I also feel that the run in with no fans allowed has hurt those teams for which the crowd is very important. I’m thinking Bournemouth, Norwich and perhaps Brighton, though the Seagulls have probably made themselves safe. Their run in is Southampton (A), Newcastle (H) and Burnley (A). Bournemouth’s setup can make 11,000 fans sound like 50,000.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:11:59 am by 1-Adam-12 »

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
Leeds United so close to promotion and here are their scenarios...

1) get 4 points or more out of their last 3 matches and they are up no matter what Brentford does

2) get 1 point and hope for Brentford loss along the way

3) get 2 or more points if Brentford get 7 points in the last 3 matches

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center