Author Topic: 2011 All Star Game Selections...  (Read 12194 times)

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
2011 All Star Game Selections...
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:25 pm »
...are in progress.  Look for a press release on this fairly soon. 

Remember that All Star game participants are graduating seniors. 

Games to be played on Tuesday, June 21st - girls at 6:00 pm, boys at 8:00 pm - at Lady Razorback Field.

Offline arkansas_traveller

• Bench Warmer
Re: 2011 All Star Game Selections...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:03:45 am »
My daughter's All-Star packet has a deadline of around June 2nd (I think).  I expect the list to come out then when they know their commitments.
Correction, commitment card has to be postmarked by 5-31 and the rest of the packet received by 6-3.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:48:50 am by arkansas_traveller »

Offline LRfan

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:56:30 am »
My daughter's All-Star packet has a deadline of around June 2nd (I think).  I expect the list to come out then when they know their commitments.
Correction, commitment card has to be postmarked by 5-31 and the rest of the packet received by 6-3.
When/how did she get it? It was my understanding that final selections were to be made at the AllStar Coaches meeting on 5/24.

Offline BigChief

• Water Boy
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:33 am »
I know of one player who got hers from her coach after he attended the meeting yesterday.

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:25:06 am »
I know of one player who got hers from her coach after he attended the meeting yesterday.
Same here, her coach delivered it to her.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:12:58 am »
The acceptance process has to have time to play out so (giving the players time to accept or reject the invitation) - while some players were/are easy to contact, others may be on senior trips, vacations, etc so it may take a few days for AAA to produce a full roster.

Offline LRfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:26:00 am »
The acceptance process has to have time to play out so (giving the players time to accept or reject the invitation) - while some players were/are easy to contact, others may be on senior trips, vacations, etc so it may take a few days for AAA to produce a full roster.

The AAA office said packets were mailed out to high school principals after the coaches meeting yesterday. With kids out of school, maybe some on vacation, etc. that does not seem like a lot of time if they are due postmarked 5/31. Especially since they are not sent to the players directly (unless your coach is an allstar coach and can give it to you directly after he/she selects you.)

Offline Chosen 1

• Nomadic Islander
  • All Star
  • Glory Glory Man United
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 01:15:03 pm »
All-star week is a great thing to be a part of. Fun week watching all kinds of sports and hanging out with other top athletes.

Offline Gametime11

• Water Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:28:42 pm »
Is there a website I can view this on and find out more about conference coaches of the year?

Offline WC-soccer dad

• 2nd String
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:27:30 am »
From the first glance I have seen of the list I am kind of surprised that no players from Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, Conway, or Bryant are on the list.

I would have to guess there was players selected from those schools but they must have declined to play in the game.

I really really like the fact that East will be coached by a soccer powerhouse team from Jonesboro Westside.  I am sure she is used to coaching these caliber of players.

Offline LRfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 08:19:25 am »
From the first glance I have seen of the list I am kind of surprised that no players from Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, Conway, or Bryant are on the list.

I would have to guess there was players selected from those schools but they must have declined to play in the game.

I really really like the fact that East will be coached by a soccer powerhouse team from Jonesboro Westside.  I am sure she is used to coaching these caliber of players.

Where did you see the list?

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:19:44 am »
The list of All Star coaches has been available but the list of players has yet to be published.

http://prepsblog.arpreps.com/2011/05/24/all-star-game-coaches-announced-for-softball-baseball-soccer/

Offline WC-soccer dad

• 2nd String
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 09:36:57 am »
Hey 7of400 did Vilonia place two on the squad to go with their coach?

I heard that KM and CB were nominated but did not know if they were selected and most importantly if they confirmed they would be able to play.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »

I heard that KM and CB were nominated but did not know if they were selected and most importantly if they confirmed they would be able to play.

Both are going. 

I am still anxious to see the list as there are several names I hope were invited.

Offline WC-soccer dad

• 2nd String
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 12:58:38 pm »

Both are going. 

I am still anxious to see the list as there are several names I hope were invited.

Check your messages

Offline arksoc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 05:03:45 pm »
The list of All Star coaches has been available but the list of players has yet to be published.

http://prepsblog.arpreps.com/2011/05/24/all-star-game-coaches-announced-for-softball-baseball-soccer/

Oh my goodness. Where do they come up with these people? One can only assume that, shall we say, "more accomplished" soccer coaches are perhaps not available or interested. I suppose some of them may be decent coaches (and probably all nice folks), but all-star soccer coaches...really?

Online Go Postal

• "The one and only GOBLINS mascot in the USA"
  • Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • US Navy 1978-82, US Postal Service 1988-19 Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 06:46:07 pm »
I heard today that for the boys that John Colliver was picked and for the girls that Chandler Rae was picked.  I thought that Harrison could only pick two, but I also heard that Dalton Lovell and Paige Sanders was also picked besides these two.  Don't get me wrong, all are great athletes and it is great that these four Seniors can play in the All Star Game, but if anyone can update this information is much appreciated.

Also just throwing this in, Colliver was a 3 sport athlete and here is a link on the college that signed him.

http://harrisondaily.com/sports/two-sports-colliver-planning-for-hardwoods-gridiron/article_979cd592-86e1-11e0-913d-001cc4c002e0.html

Congratulations, John.  Goblin Soccer, Football and Basketball will miss you.

Offline BHS

• 2nd String
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 11:04:20 pm »

Oh my goodness. Where do they come up with these people? One can only assume that, shall we say, "more accomplished" soccer coaches are perhaps not available or interested. I suppose some of them may be decent coaches (and probably all nice folks), but all-star soccer coaches...really?

More accomplished than Pratt??  Two on the girls staff were in the championship game in their division from the East btw. And a lot of schools don't have the AHSCA coaches, most are volunteer.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:09:20 pm by BHS »

Offline BigChief

• Water Boy
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 07:11:07 am »

More accomplished than Pratt??  Two on the girls staff were in the championship game in their division from the East btw. And a lot of schools don't have the AHSCA coaches, most are volunteer.

West Coaches
Mena #1 seed
Shiloh Christian - made it to quarterfinals
Harrison - how can you not think of him as an all-star coach - just look at Harrison's past records
Hope - has done a great job with his boys teams don't know enough about girls teams

East Coaches
Mountain Home - two 6A state titles
Cabot  - I have seen him coach and he is a great up and coming coach
Batesville - destroyed their conference and a #1 seed
Valley View - beaten in finals by PA

Obviously most think that this is not an all-star list since very few are 6A or 7A coaches.  The best soccer in the state of Arkansas is not always played at the big school levels.  I guarantee that several 5A schools could have competed to the end in the 6A.  I also watched several smaller schools compete very well with the big schools this year.

Offline arksoc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 09:47:06 am »
That's fine. Like I said, some are decent, most notably Pratt, who is consistently at the top. Searcy's coach. But there are also several you fail to mention. Those are the head-scratchers. Monticelllo...did they even win a game this year? Jonesboro-Westside? Lake Hamilton? Vilonia? Greebrier? One must assume that coaches who had better seasons/teams were not available or turned down the opportunity.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 10:10:38 am »
A couple of things I find odd are the lack of a 7A coach and the time it has taken AAA to release the soccer All-Stars when I think the All-Star lists have been released for every other sport...

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 10:42:15 am »
That's fine. Like I said, some are decent, most notably Pratt, who is consistently at the top. Searcy's coach. But there are also several you fail to mention. Those are the head-scratchers. Monticelllo...did they even win a game this year? Jonesboro-Westside? Lake Hamilton? Vilonia? Greebrier? One must assume that coaches who had better seasons/teams were not available or turned down the opportunity.

Here's food for thought on the coaching discussion topic.  What defines an All-Star caliber coach?

A)  Being blessed with teams with a long winning tradition that have a deep talent pool just from the sheer size of the student body.

B)  Having teams that show improvement throughout every season, compete and show character that are comprised of mostly "other sport" athletes.

Some will choose "A" and some will choose "B".

It looks like the chosen All-Star coaches' peers chose "B".

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 11:22:14 am »
It's All-Stars, just roll the ball out and let them play. It's not like they are going to camp, or the majority have more soccer to play.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 11:49:23 am »
I'm also not so sure just how exactly the coaches view coaching in the all-star game.  Is it an honor (probably for some), just another responsibility (perhaps for some), or something that keeps me away from off season work in another sport (no doubt, for some). 

I don't think the honor associated with being an All Star coach will meaningfully rise until the HS Soccer ranks are filled with soccer coaches (not people filling the soccer coaching position).

Take nothing away from the coaches who are giving their all and doing their best (even those who lack soccer knowledge) because without someone in that role, a team might not exist.

Offline BHS

• 2nd String
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »
Also, you can't coach in the game two years in a row unless you are the head coach one of those years.

Offline soccer fan

• 2nd String
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 10:13:43 am »
A couple of things I find odd are the lack of a 7A coach and the time it has taken AAA to release the soccer All-Stars when I think the All-Star lists have been released for every other sport...

there were no nominations from the 7a. 

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 11:36:04 am »

Online Go Postal

• "The one and only GOBLINS mascot in the USA"
  • Fearless Friday Elite
  • Head Coach
  • US Navy 1978-82, US Postal Service 1988-19 Retired
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 12:29:43 pm »
Congratulations to Colliver, Lovell, Sanders and Rae from Harrison to make the All Star team.  Here is a link about Beas from Green Forest on his college pick.

http://harrisondaily.com/sports/crowder-kicker-gf-s-beas-signs-scholarship/article_90245276-8bf6-11e0-93ab-001cc4c002e0.html

Offline soccer fan

• 2nd String
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 07:46:20 am »
Congratulations to Colliver, Lovell, Sanders and Rae from Harrison to make the All Star team.  Here is a link about Beas from Green Forest on his college pick.

http://harrisondaily.com/sports/crowder-kicker-gf-s-beas-signs-scholarship/article_90245276-8bf6-11e0-93ab-001cc4c002e0.html

Thats a good story on Beas but I doubt very seriously every team was worried about him.  Although he is all they had for the last 4 years.

Offline we_hate_the_band

• Bench Warmer
  • And Whals, and beaverfan007
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:02 pm »
Is it true that the West boy's head coach couldnt pass his background check? Lafunda?

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 05:29:09 am »

Actually neither is true.  7A Cabot is represented on the East Girls.

Offline Sgt. Slaughter

• Bench Warmer
  • I run this
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 12:39:25 pm »

There were no 7a coaching nominations on the boys side.

Offline LRfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 03:45:10 pm »

Interesting. The AAA rules regarding selection of coaches for All-Stars(see link below) indicates there is to be a coach from each classification.

http://www.ahsaa.org/docs/SO_AllStarSelectionForms_2011.pdf

Offline Sir Alex

• 2nd String
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 08:16:58 am »

If there is not a 7A coach listed it is because their conference did not have anyone who was willing to give their time to be a part of the all-star week activities.  That is a shame.

Interesting. The AAA rules regarding selection of coaches for All-Stars(see link below) indicates there is to be a coach from each classification.

Offline LRfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 01:33:30 pm »

If there is not a 7A coach listed it is because their conference did not have anyone who was willing to give their time to be a part of the all-star week activities.  That is a shame.

Knowing  what really happened with regard to how there is no 7A boys Allstar Coach would depend on the selection process. It sounds like some of you may know , but I don't.  The ballot looks like a coach fills one out individually and nominates players and coaches. However, if the coaches first get together in a group and discuss nominations, and later fill out the ballot to reflect what was agreed upon, that is a different situation.
   If the first scenario is accurate it is hard to believe that a 7A boys coach wouldn't be nominated. Under that situation, it is also hard to believe that there would not be a single nominated 7A coach that would agree to do it after being selected by their peers.
   If it is decided upon as a group and the ballots are just an afterthought, I could see where a coach may not want to commit him/herself if the possible nominations are discussed in a group and not an official vote.
   Nonetheless, it would seem to me that since the AAA has specific rules for AllStar selection such as a coach from each classification and a certain number of players from each classification, they would devise a ballot or selection process that facilitates that.

Offline Sir Alex

• 2nd String
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 07:15:23 am »
The 7a did not nominate anyone to coach in the All-Star games because none of them wanted to do it.  Both the west and east squads have 1 7A conference, 1 6a Conference, 2 5A and 2 4a.  Where you see two coaches from the same classification on the all-star staff, it is because the 7A and/or 6A did not nominate someone.  Granted some of the coaches are busy with their club teams or coached last year but that is a slim minority.  It all boils down to the fact that most of the 7A coaches did not want to coach the event.  The AAA process of selecting the coaches is not broke.  The only part that made need adjusting is to allow voting for the head coach instead of rotating by classification.   It is tough to swallow that out of a 8 team conference (7A) they could not find a coach to nominate. 

FYI:  I heard the guy from Bryant is making a guest appearance at the clinic to do a session on set pieces.  LOL

Offline LRfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 08:11:29 pm »
What is the actual AllStar game like? Do the coaches actually play to win? With 22 players on the roster do they typically have each player play a half or do they do more strategic subbing? Also, do the players typically play all out(is it a good game?) or is it more of a dog and pony show? Do they get much of a crowd (like the state tournament championship games) or is it just a few parents and boyfriends/girlfriends? Do the AllStars from other sports go to each other's games?

Offline Chosen 1

• Nomadic Islander
  • All Star
  • Glory Glory Man United
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:55 pm »
What is the actual AllStar game like? Do the coaches actually play to win? With 22 players on the roster do they typically have each player play a half or do they do more strategic subbing? Also, do the players typically play all out(is it a good game?) or is it more of a dog and pony show? Do they get much of a crowd (like the state tournament championship games) or is it just a few parents and boyfriends/girlfriends? Do the AllStars from other sports go to each other's games?
From what I remember, the first half they split time at 20 minutes a piece. And in the second half they played to win.

Offline Soccer1212

• Band Nerd
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:57 pm »
When is the allstate game and can someone post who all is going to be in it or the link.

Offline LRfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 06:29:14 am »
When is the allstate game and can someone post who all is going to be in it or the link.

Link to AllStar selections  below (remember, this award is for high school seniors only and is different from the AllState award which does not have a game).

http://www.ahsaa.org/docs/ALLSTAR_SO%20_AllStarListWeb_2011.pdf

Games are at U of A, Tues., 6/21 (girls 6pm, boys 8pm)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas