Author Topic: All State Selections  (Read 8580 times)

Offline Sportsaholic94

• Bench Warmer

Offline soccer22

• Cheerleader
Re: All State Selections
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:13:49 pm »
As expected the 7a/6a central split conference resulted in improper recognition for Russellville players and team. The boys are in the finals of 6a and only have one player listed on the all state list. While certainly Jaime could not be left off the list, there are probably three or four boys deserving of this honor. Jonathon Maranda is one of the top defenders in the state regardless of classification. Robinson Ford should also have his name on this list.
Do not know alot about the Russellville girls, but with only one name on the list, the all state selection process failed them as well.

Offline arksoc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:28:20 pm »
Congratulations to all who were selected. It's very exciting to see your name, a teammate's name, a child's name on the list. And rightly so. There were, no doubt, many other very accomplished players in the state who did not receive this honor. We know that all-state selections could easily and properly go many players deep on some strong teams (some who are even going on to play in college but were not chosen) but for the fact that spots are limited and things are spread around among all schools. So to all who were selected, great job! To some who weren't but easily could have been, congratulations on a great season to you, too!

Offline Rizzo

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:09 pm »
As expected the 7a/6a central split conference resulted in improper recognition for Russellville players and team. The boys are in the finals of 6a and only have one player listed on the all state list. While certainly Jaime could not be left off the list, there are probably three or four boys deserving of this honor. Jonathon Maranda is one of the top defenders in the state regardless of classification. Robinson Ford should also have his name on this list.
Do not know alot about the Russellville girls, but with only one name on the list, the all state selection process failed them as well.
Granted, I don't watch any high school soccer. That's not true at all. You can have a team full of good players that is better than a team with one or two with well above average mixed with average and below.

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:56:19 pm »
Rizzo could you have made All Conference in the NAIA?
Let the theory go on this one!  ;)

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:32:11 am »
FWIW: Remember when it comes to All-State selections, the coach of each team gets a set number of selections based on his/her team's finish in the conference.  However, a team does NOT have to use all of their allocated sections and there are instances where this occurs.  Some teams may opt to not fill their last All-State spot because the coach may feel that s/he has no one deserving or another team that finished low in the conference has a player who is deserving but does not have an allocated spot. 

This is certainly not the best process for selecting the All-State team but it is the process.

Let's use the 5A results to illustrate the points:

5A West order of finish / All-State Selections (Boys) Total 10
Siloam Springs (3)
Harrison (2)
Greenwood (2)
Greenbrier (1)
Huntsville (1)
Morrilton (1)

5A East order of finish / All-State Selections Total 9
Batesville (3)
Vilonia (3)
Nettleton (1)
Paragould (1)
GCT (1)

5A SW order of finish / All State Selections Total 9
HS Lakeside (3)
CAC (2)
Hope (2)
Hot Springs (1)
Arkadelphia (1)

5A SE order of finish / All State Selections Total 10
LR Christian (3)
White Hall (2)
Mills (1)
Sylvan Hills (2)
Monticello (1)
North Pulaski (1)

Offline jtnokomis

• Water Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:29 am »
Can anyone tell me who decides which kids make the all state team? Is it that schools coach or does each coach turn a set number of names and all coaches in that confrence vote? Just asking cause i have no idea and would like to know.

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:16:49 am »
See above post jtnokomis.

Offline BHS

• 2nd String
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:03 am »
The coaches turn in a set of names and the conference coaches can agree or disagree.  Everybody must be agreed on.

Offline Rizzo

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 11:48:48 am »
Rizzo could you have made All Conference in the NAIA?
Let the theory go on this one!  ;)
I think I might have been ok ;-).

Though NAIA baseball, is pretty decent, well, the top 15 teams or so. It's pretty much all DI players who didn't have the grades.

Offline jtnokomis

• Water Boy
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 12:48:51 pm »
Thank you BHS.

Offline Gametime11

• Water Boy
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 11:07:33 pm »
Just wondering, do they do an All-Conference team or is All-State the only one?

Offline sevenof400

• Head Coach
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 11:25:30 pm »

There are All-Conference selections made at the respective conference meetings but they generally are not announced lime the All-State team is.  I don't know why this is the case but it has been the practice for some time.

Offline LRfan

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 07:51:33 am »

There are All-Conference selections made at the respective conference meetings but they generally are not announced lime the All-State team is.  I don't know why this is the case but it has been the practice for some time.

I do not claim to be an expert on this, but I do know that "All-Conference" is not an award recognized by the AAA. You will not find an All-Conference list on their website. Only All-State and All-Star are awards that the AAA is involved with. In fact, I challenge you to find a list of All-Conference selections anywhere. I also have heard that some schools/coaches do not give out All-Conference awards. For the schools that do, one would think that if a player makes All-State they would be a lock to get All-Conference, but curiously that is often not the case. Is it a recognition given out by coaches to good players who did not make the cut for All-State? If anyone knows any more details about the mysterious "All-Conference" award selection, I would love to hear them.

Offline Chosen 1

• Nomadic Islander
  • All Star
  • Glory Glory Man United
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 09:08:33 am »
AAA really screwed up the points system bad.

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 09:39:32 am »
Do not know alot about the Russellville girls, but with only one name on the list, the all state selection process failed them as well
Girls are in the Finals, as well, with only 1 player on the all state list.

I'm starting to pay attention because it's going to hit closer to home (football) in the fall.  ::)  Five or six of these girls, on the soccer team, will win the 6A state basketball title, next year, that will be interesting as well.

I'm sure the problem is - how would the 6A Coaches vote for Russellville Kids when they have not watched them play all season?  In reality how would the Russellville coaches even know how their better players measure against the 6A Players?  Still it comes down to seeding anyway.  Gonna to have to give 6a Teams more credit, for playing in a 7A conference, if they want seeding to be accurate - maybe?

Offline Chosen 1

• Nomadic Islander
  • All Star
  • Glory Glory Man United
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 09:50:39 am »
Do not know alot about the Russellville girls, but with only one name on the list, the all state selection process failed them as well

I'm starting to pay attention because it's going to hit closer to home (football) in the fall.  ::)  Five or six of these girls, on the soccer team, will win the 6A state basketball title, next year, that will be interesting as well.

I'm sure the problem is - how would the 6A Coaches vote for Russellville Kids when they have not watched them play all season?  In reality how would the Russellville coaches even know how their better players measure against the 6A Players?  Still it comes down to seeding anyway.  Gonna to have to give 6a Teams more credit, for playing in a 7A conference, if they want seeding to be accurate - maybe?
They need to get rid of the point system and the playing in a different conference and playoffs. Some schools are gonna have bad travel, TOUGH LUCK.

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 09:54:40 am »

Quit your crying, was it fair when Van Buren got three all-state basketball selections because they were the top seed? They then proceeded to get drubbed by the #4 seed who didn't have an all-state selection, because their coach passed on his, so a kid going to an SEC school could. None of this is fair, but it is what it is. Hopefully in two years it will be more equitable. Now, will still have some kids not chosen that should be, but it won't set abritiary numbers based on power rankings finishes.

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 10:15:20 am »
Good Point - works both ways!  Don't see why a discussion has to be labeled crying though - thought you were taking a break until that 10 yr old grows up!  ;)

Online ricepig

• Legend
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 11:00:10 am »
Good Point - works both ways!  Don't see why a discussion has to be labeled crying though - thought you were taking a break until that 10 yr old grows up!  ;)

Just staying in practice, that, or I'm having withdrawl pains, haha.

Offline Valleysports

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 11:10:12 am »
It was discovered today, just hours before the 6A State Championship Soccer Game, that Searcy Fans & The Chosen One - noticeably missing from the Fearless Friday Soccer Forum, had been taken away in the Rapture.

EDIT:  Correction - we're talking Searcy - GET REAL!  ;D

Oh Com'on Searcy Fans - win or lose - enjoy the moment - afterall it's just a kids soccer game!  ::)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:02:38 pm by Valleysports »

Offline footballfanatic

• Cheerleader
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 07:46:27 am »
  Valley Sports,  Guess if your were in Fayetteville Saturday, you might have noticed that Searcy was indeed not raptured. However, they did win their 5th 6A title and all 4 of their allstate selections played very well.  3 of the 4 play on the back line for Searcy. It was a great game, with good aggresive play from both sides.  The only thing I can say is congrats to both teams. Oh, never assume that you have it won till the horn sounds at the end of the game....

Offline footballfanatic

• Cheerleader
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 07:48:58 am »
Correction, 1 striker, 1 midfielder, 2 defensive players for Searcy!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas