Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Sunday, June 16th, 2019.
AAA has reset the way Basketball Finals are done. See the thread on Killer Crossover Board
2020-22 proposed conferences will be post to FearlessFriday.com shortly. Discussion has already begun. #fearlessfriday
The 2018-19 sports season has a bit left. State track has just completed and several team sports begin the chase at State this coming week
Fearless Friday congratulates all the AR HS athletes who are graduating this year.
Fearless Friday
Southside's Coleman Week 3 POW
Week 2 Review

Author Topic: FearlessFriday Final Top Ten  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Lanny

• Mr. Nice Guy
  • Fearless Friday Administrator
  • All Star
  • The1
    • hogville.net
FearlessFriday Final Top Ten
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:20:11 am »
1. Pulaski Academy
2. Fayetteville
3. El Dorado
4. Bentonville
5. Greenwood
6. North Little Rock
7. Lake Hamilton
8. Camden Fairview
9. Fort Smith Southside
10. Springdale Harbor

Offline 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
Re: FearlessFriday Final Top Ten
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:20:34 am »
What happened to RPS? Seems more legit.

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:17:44 pm »

Rich is afraid to post his Final results..  trust me... he will have to adjust his program to keep everyone happy on here...

Offline B.G.

• Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:23:18 pm »
1. Pulaski Academy
2. Fayetteville
3. El Dorado
4. Bentonville
5. Greenwood
6. North Little Rock
7. Lake Hamilton
8. Camden Fairview
9. Fort Smith Southside
10. Springdale Harbor

ummmmmm.   I believe that I have some question.

Offline 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:07:42 pm »
I have already seen Rich's final ranking. He has it right for number 1. The only possible change would be to allow Bentonville and Fayetteville to share it. People are too stuck on a stupid scrimmage game with some of these rankings. I remember the year Texarkana won overall with Dennis Johnson they got beat in a scrimmage by Bearden. Hopefully Fayetteville remembers the importance the little guys put on scrimmage games next August.

Offline 7AFBFAN

• Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »
Oh yeah, thank you for including Southside in the top 10.

Offline pantherblue

• Head Coach
  • 2012 Undefeated conference champs 5A West 10-0
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:50:56 pm »
Did anyone really think Lanny would have anyone other than PA as #1??

Offline DerekOxford

• Starter
  • Follow me on Twitter @derekosports
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:50:34 pm »
1. Pulaski Academy
2. Fayetteville
3. El Dorado
4. Bentonville
5. Greenwood
6. North Little Rock
7. Lake Hamilton
8. Camden Fairview
9. Fort Smith Southside
10. Springdale Harbor

Who is Springdale Harbor?

Offline B.G.

• Legend
  • I speak for me, myself and I.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:32 pm »
Great stuff as usual from Rich.  Regardless of results, he stays true to the RPS and himself with his lay it out there approach.

He really has a nice Q.F. aroma about him that everyone should respect.

Max Preps is just faceless.
Hootens is anal retentive.
AP is inconsistent.

RPS is predictable in that it's true to it's intent.

(and NO, I'm not taking over the BGPS RPS)

Offline pantherblue

• Head Coach
  • 2012 Undefeated conference champs 5A West 10-0
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »
That was a good read and stuff I agree with this year. 

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 10:08:06 am »

Rich is afraid to post his Final results..  trust me... he will have to adjust his program to keep everyone happy on here...

Nah, only thing Rich is afraid of is my kids driving on the road with some of these peckerwoods. Wait, I was afraid of Southside backlash when I saw the "thanks for Southside being in the Top 10" comment. But I've got them in there, too, so I have no fear again.  ;D

I won't say I have it right, but it all adds up after checking and double-checking. Lanny asked what I had, I told him and he said he was going to change some things. It's his site. His rankings. He pays for it so he can do with it what he wants. I got no problem with that.

I will continue to do my newsletter for another year and next year I'm doing it the Obama way: Everything will be transparent. I'll put all the formulae out there and you folks can decide for yourself.
I'm also looking at passing it off to somebody so if you study hard and really get it and learn to defend it for its principles, then maybe you can carry on RPS for the next 27 years.
My son, the phenomenal EJ, gets first crack, but not sure how interested  he is in it. Calpreps isn't bad, but they're clueless for the first few weeks of the season. (BTW, they have B'ville at 60.1 and PA at 47.3 in their final numbers.)

On the final rankings, I will say this: You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
It was very possible that PA could have ended up No. 1 in my rankings, but they didn't. I think voters did a very smart thing in putting Fayetteville ahead of PA even though PA had more first-place votes. Heck, I've got PA ahead of Fayetteville.
The reason PA didn't "win" the AP poll? Voters knocked PA way down the list on the ballots that had Fayetteville or Greenwood No. 1.

And here's the thinking in a nutshell: PA plays in the fourth largest class. Ten years ago, fourth largest class equaled smallest class. You can't play in the fourth largest class and expect to be No. 1 no matter how good you are.
PA ain't to blame. I'm sure PA would play 7A if they could.
But they didn't. They didn't play Bentonville, Fayetteville, Har-Ber, El Dorado or Greenwood.
They didn't play Southside, Conway, Bryant, NLR or Camden Fairview.

They did play Lake Hamilton and they won. But they didn't prove week-in and week-out they could play with the big boys.

And whose fault is it that PA plays in the fourth largest class? It's the fault of the administrators who watered this thing down way too much.

So what several of the writers -- and not all of them really know much about what they're doing -- are saying is this: "If you want watered down, you can't be No. 1 Overall unless you play 7A football. The 6A? No way. 5A gets a maybe because they're still the purest, unadulterated version of what we had before we added water. Lots of water.

Finally, I'll say this about the Bentonville/Fayetteville debate -- if there is one.
There are two ways to rank teams to either extreme and then there's an infinite number of ways to rank them that uses both extremes. There's predictive and retrodictive.

Retrodictive is to take all the data and say this is what it adds up to and this is what it means. Predictive is more of what I do in that it's designed to plot the next point on the graph before we get to that point.
Predictively -- the way I do it -- I have Bentonville still plotted ahead of Fayetteville. Whether I'm wrong or not doesn't matter at this point because there is no other game to play.
Retrodictively -- based on the data looking backward, Bentonville is ahead of Fayetteville because they did better from September thru December -- with the loss to Fayetteville included. Honestly, I don't know how anybody can come up with an argument for Fayetteville in that regard.

But on one day in December, Fayetteville was the better team and that meant a state title.
My rankings don't give you any kind of bonus because you won the most important game. That game rates the same way all the rest of them did.
It's just possible that an upset occurred. There were a few of them in 2011.
The rankings reflect just that, an upset.

Drop me a line if you want to be added for next season. To be fair, I won't release them to anyone in the future who isn't on the mailing list.
And thanks to all of you who are already there. I appreciate your support.

+1   I have to agree with you Rich...Informative good post on your " WHY"...

Offline Baitshop

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Hall of Famer
  • Pretentious Illiterate
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 06:48:34 pm »
So let me get this straight.....you finished the season with Bentonville in the #1 position....you gave your info to Lanny and he put the team that he announces for in the #1 spot regardless of your input and calculations...??..??

Unfortunately Rich, it looks like we won't be needing your services any longer....unless of course you learn to calibrate your calculations to comform to the company line...

Hmmm....let me guess, PA goes wire to wire at #1 in the 2012 FF poll....

Offline B. Kirk

• 2nd String
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 07:07:21 pm »
1. Pulaski Academy
2. Fayetteville
3. El Dorado
4. Bentonville
5. Greenwood
6. North Little Rock
7. Lake Hamilton
8. Camden Fairview
9. Fort Smith Southside
10. Springdale Harbor

Who is Springdale Harbor?

There is a man made lake in Har-Ber Meadows, as well as Elmdale Lake less than 2 miles from the school.

Offline Billyo62

• Hall of Famer
  • KC- Tiger Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »
So let me get this straight.....you finished the season with Bentonville in the #1 position....you gave your info to Lanny and he put the team that he announces for in the #1 spot regardless of your input and calculations...??..??

Unfortunately Rich, it looks like we won't be needing your services any longer....unless of course you learn to calibrate your calculations to comform to the company line...

Hmmm....let me guess, PA goes wire to wire at #1 in the 2012 FF poll....

that kinda of sums it up!

Offline ChucktownTigerFan

• 2nd String
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:34 pm »
I am guessing this is 5A and up only? I mean you would think State Champions of all classes would all be included, of course that's why I don't get paid to do this stuff.

Offline RDô

• Est 1996
  • Legend
  • Hated In Marion Since 2004
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 08:26:17 am »
I am guessing this is 5A and up only? I mean you would think State Champions of all classes would all be included, of course that's why I don't get paid to do this stuff.
Uhm no.

Offline Uncle Ivan

• Satan
  • Legend
    • ICE CREAMMMMMMMMMMMM
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 06:24:16 am »

I will continue to do my newsletter for another year and next year I'm doing it the Obama way:

So you're going to reveal nothing and viciously and arrogantly attack anyone with a legit criticism?

Say it ain't so, Rich. 8)

Baptist Health Orthopedic Center